2010 and 2011 - how was it and what's up?

Mame

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 06:18 pm
2010 was a pretty good year for me - I worked some (not too much), finished renovating the main part of the house, got the backyard sorted and bought a bbq and deck furniture, did some arty things, got married, and got to reconnect with my UK rellies and friends. Two sisters are on their own again and liking it, my daughter and son are doing well - everything's on the up and up (unlike 2006 which was a dreadful year for me).

As far as 2011 goes - who knows, of course, but I think it will be a good year. It just feels that way. We have more renovating to do, but less pressure about it, Alex will be home at least 3 months, we may go to France in April, I might take my daughter to Hawaii in Jan-Feb, I'm going to be heavily into gardening and house things, might work some (but not too much)... yeah, I'll be doing some travelling, for sure, and lots of entertaining.

So what about you? How was 2010 and what do you see for 2011?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 4,865 • Replies: 40

dyslexia

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 06:21 pm
@Mame,
2010 has been a tough year, both myself and lady Diane are hoping to make it all the way through 2011.
Izzie

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 06:30 pm
@Mame,
My best friend survived breast cancer

I met some great folk who visited from Canada Razz

much happened ...

Looking forward to 2011 now.

Happy Christmas Mame and Alex - enjoy!
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 06:32 pm
@Mame,
Did you ever find that lost ring you were looking for?
roger

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 06:57 pm
You gotta love her. She didn't even add "Oh, and by the way, I got married".
Mame

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 07:08 pm
@dyslexia,
I am really sorry to hear that, dys. Smooches to both of you and Merry Christmas, hon.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 07:10 pm
@Izzie,
Yeah, that was good news about Charlie, and it was so good to visit with you. Merry Christmas to you and your boys, Iz.
0 Replies

Mame

@Butrflynet,
No! lol Nowhere to be found!
0 Replies

Mame

@roger,
I did squeeze that in there - it was a fairly big moment Smile Plus a great party Smile
roger

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 07:22 pm
@Mame,
I guess I kind of skimmed over it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 08:05 pm
Not good here either. You surely don't want to hear about it.

Alternately, I've had swell years, however troubled.

In retrospect, I can see this and that, and that is how I post on a2k.

I try to be ******* cheery. That is not me, some portion of the time.

Actually, some of my posts are leaps. Oh, well.

I don't think I'm alone in that.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 08:33 pm
@Mame,
I. 2010 is one of the best years in memory in terms of movies and film quality seen at the theater. All of these films I have rated a perfect 10 out of 10.
10/10 [in order of most favorite and so forth...]
Carlos
Inside Job
Winter's Bone
Ghost Writer
Black Swan
How to Train Your Dragon
The Social Network
Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Elliot Spitzer
My Dog Tulip
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Toy Story 3
The Town
127 Hours
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Inception
Kick-Ass

II. 2010 is also a solid year for working but not an optimistic one in terms of any real career advancement.

III. 2010 is year of personal austerity. Still though I have managed to enjoy myself with the rare presence of friends.

IV. 2010 is 10,000% better then 2009 which was the worst year of my recorded life.

V. 2011? I have to find a new bank because Chase is going slap their loyal customers so they can reach once again for record level profits.

VI. If all goes well, I may take a weekend trip back to Massachusetts sometime in January or February. Visit some family as well as the newly renovated and overhauled Boston Museum of Fine Arts.

VII. If 2010 was an ulcer inducing year in terms of US politics? Then prepare to get a dozen brain aneurysms upon dozen of brain aneurysms when the bloody brain-dead Tea Party members take roost at Capital Hill. I wonder how long will government be shut down before the Democrats give into the extortionist's political demands.

VIII. I might take a photography class at night and supplement my photography skills if I do end up getting a new digital SLR camera with my federal tax refund.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 08:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Sending you a cross-continental hug dear Ossobuco.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eIwfzA71sok/SxRzskUwv8I/AAAAAAAADX4/8Wi-wCfAsxI/s1600/hug_o_war_by_shel_silverstein-large-msg-116201123022.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 08:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's nice, you brat..

(did I ever mention I love you? I do, but I'm still a prickly animal and so are you.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 11:27 am
@Mame,
2010 ranks in the bottom 10 of my nearly 55 years on this planet. I won't say it was the worst year ever, but there are few years that I look forward to celebrating NYE as a reason to celebrate getting through a horrendous one. This has been one of those years.

There's no reason to think that 2011 can't be one of the 10 best ever. The stars will have to start aligning a bit differently than they did this year, but here's hoping!

http://hotels.uptake.com/blog/files/2008/12/champagne.jpg
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 11:38 am
2010 sucked--healthwise, moneywise, and otherwise.

2011--I'm not optimistic. Of course, I'm never optimistic. But I think my not being optimistic is realistic.

Chumly

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 01:00 pm
I saved the world from a fate worse than death...but more importantly I received some marijuana as a present from my wife, I received a commemorative plaque and a bottle of Gray Goose from my students, I joined a not-for-profit local youth support organization and will be assigned a kid to mentor; too much else to list except I found a good way to smooth my feet using a sandpaper belt from a belt-sander - feet like a baby's cheeks.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 03:20 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

2010 sucked--healthwise, moneywise, and otherwise.

2011--I'm not optimistic. Of course, I'm never optimistic. But I think my not being optimistic is realistic.

Yup, I hear ya!

Pretty much the same for my wife and I, and immediate family. I wouldn't even know where to begin for 2010, but then 2009 wasn't any better.

I'm also not hopeful for 2011.

I haven't mentioned anything about the job I had for 4 days (very recently), and it fell through. It's best I say nothing, as they're too much anger in me.

Never mind the stuff that's flying around my oldest daughter's job, or my 84 year old mother, or the health issues with my wife.

I wouldn't know where to begin. Crying or Very sad Mad
Izzie

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 04:20 pm
@Reyn,
Oh Reyn, I'm sorry that it's been such a tough time for you all - hoping for you and yours that 2011 will be a much better year.

((((((Reyn))))))) xxxx
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 01:03 am
@Roberta,
Oh Roberta. I'll try and remain optimistic enough for the both of us. Maybe there is a winning lottery ticket in the near future?