2010 and 2011 - how was it and what's up?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 01:41 am

I loved and still love 2010. It was very pleasant n undemanding. Relaxing
In June the USSC ruled that the 2nd Amendment applies curtailing the powers of the states.
" . . . the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"
The bad guys were defeated in the elections.

I expect 2011 to get better and freer.
I will continue traveling to conventions of groups
to which I belong and enjoying good restaurants
and other entertainments with good friends

David
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 02:40 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Oh Roberta. I'll try and remain optimistic enough for the both of us. Maybe there is a winning lottery ticket in the near future?

Don't I have to be in it to win it? Tsar, I appreciate the optimism whether I win something or not. As I said elsewhere, you're a good kid.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 02:39 am
@tsarstepan,
Very mixed.

Some great things...right now one of the worst times I have experienced.
Roberta

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 02:51 am
@dlowan,
Sorry to hear this, deb. Hope that things improve--fast.
dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 05:47 am
@Roberta,
Ditto dollink.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 03:03 pm
It was like most years, a mixture of the good and the bad.

On the home front it was year with tragedy and great pleasure.

On the health front it was overall a good year, but with some anxiety carrying over into the New Year

On the business front it was a year of mostly success, but again with anxiety carrying over into 2011

On the national affairs front it was, a mixed year as well but one which ended looking much better than it did when it began.

I think 12 months is way too long a period of time to ever expect nothing but good things will happen. Which is comforting because it's unlikely you'll ever have a year with nothing but bad things happening.

I expect next year to be a mixed bag as well. I can see some of the possible difficulties that might develop, and right now none of the positives, but I'm sure there will be both good and bad yet to be revealed.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 03:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
I've bought one and only one lottery ticket since I moved to New Mexico. Not that I bought a lot of them in California either. It takes money to take a flyer on the wheel of fortune, an essentially stupid endeavor, with a mere wisp of hope.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 03:13 pm
@dlowan,
Ditto to two dollinks.

And also to Reyn - I'm sorry you're dealing with all that, Reyn.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 03:54 pm
I worry most for my wife and her mother. The mother goes from hospital to nursing home and back, in an endless circle. My wife's health seems to be generally deteriorating. She has degenerative spine problems, among other ills. I worry over how long I will be able to work, since I turned 68 this year. I also worry that our way of life as a nation may not survive much longer.

On the positive side, I have been able to keep my body and spirit functioning at relatively high levels. I am slowly getting my home renovated, a bit at a time. I am extremely gratified to be progressing on my book, however slowly. And my children all are self sufficient, with another new grandchild to arrive in 2011. It could be a lot worse than it is.
Mame

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 05:31 pm
Well, 2006 was not a good year for me or my daughter - her grandma died 4 days before her son was born, her son died in April at 4 months, one of his great-aunts died a few months after he did, a beloved aunt died around the same time... and there was another death but I forget who it was... my poor daughter was reeling. At the time of the last death (her favourite aunt), she was totally numb and couldn't process any more deaths. It seemed all along like things couldn't get any worse, then they did.

It took us both a long time to believe life could be good, so I understand not feeling positive or hopeful. But I truly hope 2011 brings all of us some joyous moments.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 05:43 pm
@Mame,
Hear, hear, Mame.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 05:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's my mantra: it can always be worse.
Reyn

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 05:58 pm
@Izzie,
Thanks to Izzie and Osso. I don't like to say too much, as that way I have to re-live it, and it would be boring and depressing for others to read, too.

I just keep motoring on from day-to-day.

On the job front, it's getting really demoralizing still trying to find something that will work for me though, nevermind someone that will give me a chance at something.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 06:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

That's my mantra: it can always be worse.

For certain.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 06:12 pm
2010 sucked money wise . Im still scared to death in that department.

otherwise?
what a ******* ride .
Divorce
single life
new to dating
learned to fix even MORE little ings in my life on my own
Single part time parenting deserves its on class
What an interesting brood of people I have attracted to me in the last year.
I think you can determine where I was in my head if you look at the ebb and flow of the types of people.

At first, this year.. serial dating. I think I went to dinner with 20 men in 2 months I kid you not. Each more flippy headed than the last and none are around now.
After that my two good friends got even closer and we were a trio of 'making **** happen' and things started to take a good turn. busy all the time.
Then I sort of flew away from a lot of my friends and just drove life truly solo for a while.

Now, in the later half of the year, I have met a handful of truly random people that will be in my life for ever. I have settled , in myself, in my head and in my skin.
And here I sit, at the end of the year feeling like I wasted a lot of time. Why couldnt I just start all of this happy ? haha.

Im scared constantly, but not in too bad of ways
Im happy all the time. Im able to finish what I start and focus on my life and my path now. I HAVE a plan instead of living on an idea.

I AM me.. finally. And for right now, this is ok.
Im glad to start the new year in this quieter space. Maybe next year wont be so fearful.
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 06:14 pm
And let me add

above all else, 2010 healthwise was fantastic.
2009, christmas time, my doc was throwing around some pretty scary words. Cancer being one of them.
No more. No longer.
I can no tbe all down and dreary. I do have my health going for me in many ways.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 06:16 pm
@dlowan,
hopefully it is short lived what ever it is
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 07:05 pm
@shewolfnm,
You managed to get this far in a YEAR???!!!!
http://rlv.zcache.com/gold_medal_sticker-p217963734767590657qjcl_400.jpg

0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 08:20 pm
Some good stuff:
Nigel graduated from McGill and got a job.
Hermione got married and is still working on her doctorate.
The Lovely Bride worked for the Census and the extra dough came in handy.
Rhys appears to have a good shot at a job.
I'm still working for the Widget Factory.

Some not so good:
My cousin has been diagnosed with a rare and aggressive abdominal cancer.
Uncle Ed (aged 91) has health issues and won't move out of his house to someplace
where he can get some assistance.
I did the math and found out I can retire two years after I'm dead.
I'm still working for the Widget Factory.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 09:18 am
1. I passed out of college.
2. Became an atheist
3. Decided chastity is a crappy idea

Apart from these three events, 2010 was a very forgettable year. Flied past in a blink.

I also started to work, for the first time in my life, but I think that's immaterial in the grand scheme of my life, and that's why I wouldn't include it in my top three.

Next year, I'm mainly looking to kickstart dating seriously. There are other smaller things, mainly health related, like getting strength back in my sprain-damaged left knee, etc., but I won't go into the details which are largely boring. Basically, it's the dating I'm most looking forward to 2011 for.

I see that some of you've had a rough patch in 2010. Well, all I'm going to say is hang in there. That's pretty much all you can do, right?

Good to know it was a swell year for you, Mame. Hope 2011 is even better!