Christmas Has Been Cancelled

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 03:26 pm
Christmas was essentially cancelled for us this year.

My father-in-law (79) fell and hit his head on Dec 13th. He went into a coma and then died on Dec 17th. We buried him yesterday Dec 23rd.

As we drove in the funeral procession to the cemetery, I realized that the folks in other cars who saw us pass must have been thinking "God that must be horrible, having to bury someone on the day before Christmas Eve! I bet their Christmas is ruined."

During these two weeks we had intended to send out cards, shop for gifts, finish decorating the house, and hold an Open House for family and friends.

Of course, none of this took place.

My wife was very close to her father and this is the first experience she has had with the death of someone for whom she deeply cared. She, of course, mourned when her grandparents passed away but it wasn't like losing part of her life, as it is now.

Her sisters and brothers are all in town (Everyone else who flew in for the funeral left by early this morning), and we plan to spend Christmas with them and their mother.

We have always saved Christmas Eve for our immediate family, but I'm not sure what to expect from tonight. My sons and my daughter and her husband will visit, and I am sure we will take comfort in one another's company, but there will be no celebration. None of the traditions we hold for the evening will be present and everyone is both physically and emotionally exhausted from the events of the past two weeks.

I'm hoping we can muster some sort of Hallmark moment when the true meaning of Christmas will seize us and we can eventually look back to realize this was our most meaningful holiday experience ever.

I'm not holding out much hope.

The sense of being utterly spent is overwhelming. I had to get up at 6:00am this morning to drive visitors to the airport, and we had stayed up very late the night before...talking about how we should not allow our next visit to be limited to a wedding or funeral. When I return from the airport, I immediately returned to bed, but almost fell down from wobbly legs and a rush of dizziness. Just woke up about 30 minutes ago.

I knew this would be the case early on, but as it was in the future I didn't think much about how it would make me feel when it actually arrived. Now it has, and on a cold and grey day of rain and wind, visions of sugar plums are not dancing in my head.

No matter what happens tonight or tomorrow, this won't be our last Christmas, (although I'm a bit worried about how my father-in-law's death will impact future holidays), and the traditions and happiness will return. A year is long time to wait though, and I'm getting a feel for just how much I look forward to this time of the year.

My father-in-law was a warm and loving man who was devoted to his family. I've been married since I was 18 and so he has been a major figure in my life's development. We had, I think, as close a relationship as fathers and their daughter's husbands can have, and he was both a mentor and great friend to me. I will miss him deeply. His passing has put much in perspective, and is simply yet another of the many lessons of my life in which he figured.

S0, for but a moment tonight and on Christmas, consider how impermanent and fragile the joys of our lives are and if, as I truly hope, you are with people who you love and who love you, be thankful for their presence and gather their affection around you like a warm blanket on a cold, blustery night.

Merry Christmas to all and all the best for a healthy and prosperous New Year.

jespah

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 03:31 pm
I don't think you've ever written anything better.

I am so, so sorry for your loss.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 03:41 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
sad and quite a beautiful tribute. We mark the years by these holidays and our family events fit in there. Its really sad when one of the most important times of the year and the deth of a loved one coincide.

Sorry dude. Be there for everyone, you sound like you can handle the responsibility.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 03:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
my condolences, finn.

may better days be ahead...
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 03:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I am so sorry for your loss. You wrote a beautiful , sad and tremendously meaningful tribute here. I hope you share it with your gathered family.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 03:59 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
My sincere condolences, Finn. It sounds like you've been a wonderful support to your wife and your extended family.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 04:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, we butt sentences here sometimes.
Never mind all that.
First of all, my condolences to your wife.
And my sympathy to you.

I have, as many have, including you, lived through some of these kind of times.

Let us know how it goes, as you feel comfortable.
Thank you for posting what you were thinking.

I have to add, the get together may go better than you estimate.

0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 04:18 pm
a get together may just be what everyone needs.
Sometimes, even when you are exhausted, sharing that space and that emotion with someone else helps relieve the feelings.

Im sorry to hear how hard these last few days have been for you.
I hope your family can find some peace and work through this easily.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 04:28 pm
I am truly sorry that this has happened. Any time of year it would be devastating, with reminders - the blossoms in spring, a time of prolonged rain - But the Christmas season will be always tinged with sadness in the happiest hours. Condolences to you and your family, finn.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 04:32 pm
I don't know that there's ever a best time to lose a loved one, finn, but this must be one of the worst. My sincere thoughts and sympathies to you, your wife, and your family.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 04:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm so sorry.

You're wife is lucky to have had so many years with two such good men. I'm sure she'll get through this with your support.

I can say from experience that the holidays will get easier but they'll never be easy.

Thanks for the reminder about what is important.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 09:12 am
You have my heartfelt support.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 11:29 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thinking of you today, Finn. I imagine you're moving with leaden feet, trying to keep putting one in front of the other as you make it through your day. I hope you and your family are able to find some peace and comfort in each others presence.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 01:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Oh Finn...

so very sorry for your loss

thinking of you, your family and loved ones

(((((Finn))))
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 07:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
My maternal grandmother was the ringmaster and heart of our holidays, she died when I was in my late-teens a few days before Thanksgiving. The bought food became the funeral lunch. All I can say is that it gets better and eventually the good memories replace the worst of the pain. Wishing you and your family godspeed to better times.
Ceili

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 11:42 pm
My deepest condolences. I can only imagine how hard all this must be. Your father in law sounds like a good man. I hope you were able to find some happiness today and enjoy all those who were blessed to have known him. I wish you all the best in the coming year.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 11:42 pm
@Green Witch,
jespah, farmerman, Rockhead, mags, sozobe, ossobuco, shewolfnm, edgar, JPB, boomerang, Chumly, Izzie and Green Witch

Thank you all for your kind words of sympathy and support. They mean a lot to me and are very much appreciated.

Last night my wife's sister and her husband came over for dinner, my daughter and her husband remained at their home, and my two sons went out with their cousins, and so after 38 years, our Christmas Eve tradition was broken.

I can't say this upset me because the awareness of it being Christmas Eve was not really present, we were all exhausted, and it was nice spending time with my sister-in-law and her husband, who has long been one of my favorite people. We drank some wine, relived moments over the last twelve days, and made an early night of it.

This morning my kids all came over for breakfast and to exchange the few gifts we had managed to find time to obtain. My daughter is a photographer and she gave us each beautifully framed photos from her wedding in May of this year, and of my father-in-law. I won't go so far as to say that we had the Hallmark moment for which I had hoped, but it came pretty darn close. By the time we left the house for my mother-in-law's, I was feeling emotionally revived, and , more importantly, I could tell my wife was too.

It's clear that only the most intense period is at an end. I think my wife has been trying too hard to keep it all together these past two weeks, and I expect that she will break down in the next few days and cry for hours and hours. I even hope she will, as I believe she needs a clearing emotional release. In any case there's still a lot of grief and memories to be death with, but as a number of you commented, and which I found for myself when my parents passed away, with time comes, at least, acceptance and hopefully insight.

Recently someone commented about how frequently I have been posting here, and it's true that I have been spending a lot more time in this forum than is usual for me. I have found it a very helpful diversion, but never intended to address my situation in a thread. I'm glad I did though, not only because it was an emotional release of my own, but because of your very kind and largely unexpected responses.

Again, thank you very much.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 11:43 pm
@Ceili,
Thanks very much Ceili
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 12:32 am
You're ok. kid - I say that sardonically, as I think you are family other than sardonically. Does caring h0w you are count? Yes, she snaps.

Laying that all to rest, Finn, feel well here. You are loved and we care about your family. Thank you for posting your serious thoughts.
Nuts, that sounds trite, but it isn't how I mean it.
jespah

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 07:54 am
@ossobuco,
Hear, here.

We do it 'cause you're one of our own.
0 Replies