Buying a Dog

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 04:58 pm
Which Dog would be best for be? I live in an apartment and have allergies. I'd like an active dog that is easy trainable, and easy to care for (grooming). I would also like a dog that is soft (nice to pet) and can be by itself for a while.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 05:01 pm
Irish Setter or a Cocker Spaniel.

David
ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 05:07 pm
@ChiantiaDansburgy,
Leaving a dog alone for a long time in an apartment reads like a recipe for trouble, mainly for the dog, but also for you. What do you mean by a long time?

What are your allergies? Are you allergic to dogs?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 05:09 pm
@ossobuco,
David, irish setters love to run. Ours used to run for miles..
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 05:13 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
David, irish setters love to run. Ours used to run for miles..
I love them.

David
ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 05:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I love them too. But that doesn't mean they should stay in an apartment alone.
roger

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 05:35 pm
@ossobuco,
I've heard "Irish Setter" used by the girls to describe certain men. Big, handsom, noble looking, but kind of dumb.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 05:38 pm
@ChiantiaDansburgy,
You live in an apartment and want an active dog?

How much time a day will you have to walk and exercise the dog outside?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 05:53 pm
@roger,
Kelly wasn't dumb. (I have this argument with Farmerman..). He simple had attention deficit.
farmerman

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 06:46 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
My dad and I raised Irish setters for field trials. They are among the most hyper dogs and they are a shedder and will tears an apartment to shredscause they are not too bright.
They need constant reinforcing and working in the field. AS a house dog NO WAY!!

Experience is on my side on this one

Same thing with Border Collies, I have 2 and even though they saty in the house, they are always getting into trouble . Mostly cause they are so smart and active. Make a Border Collie tired and its happy. If you dont have at least 50 acres, forget a Border Collie.

Bichons make good house dogs but they may not be hypo allergenic .
BAsenjis are good house dogs as are dachsys and if you want abig dog, rescued greyhounds are wonderful couch potatoes who will love to lay using your mid section for a pillow.

Cocker Spaniels used to be a great dog (like St Bernards) However, in recent years puppy mills have overbred them and theyve gotten to be mean and too assertive to strangers.

Fido

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 07:13 pm
@ChiantiaDansburgy,
In an apartment, I would settle for the ceramic breed...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 07:14 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I've heard "Irish Setter" used by the girls to describe certain men. Big, handsom, noble looking, but kind of dumb.

Irish Setter is French for: insane...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 07:55 pm
@ChiantiaDansburgy,
Based on your criteria I'd recommend an adult poodle or poodle mix.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 08:01 pm
@farmerman,
Agreeing with Farmer here on the whole post (sniffing about the not too bright part on the setters. Kelly did fine in obedience.)

I question leaving a dog alone in an apartment for a long time.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 09:37 pm
@boomerang,
Why not just hire an adult human being to act like a dog... People are cheap, and dogs are expensive... Find some newly disemployed people who is still gruntled, and show him how to bathe, and use the twalet; and tell him or her to let you know when he or she needs a walk... What you spend on people food you will save on vet bills and dog food and liability insurance... They ain't as much fun to pet, especially if you get a nasty one who cannot figure out the finer points of soap and water, but they are designed for apartment living as no dog ever was...
hingehead

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 09:54 pm
@boomerang,
I'm with Boomer, but I was thinking miniature or toy poodle on the hypoallergenic intelligent side, crosses are a bit hit or miss on the shedding side. But in my heart of hearts I say don't get a dog if it's going to be on its own for long periods of time. Particularly in a small space.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 09:55 pm
@ChiantiaDansburgy,
This might help:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 02:05 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Why not just hire an adult human being to act like a dog... People are cheap, and dogs are expensive... Find some newly disemployed people who is still gruntled, and show him how to bathe, and use the twalet; and tell him or her to let you know when he or she needs a walk... What you spend on people food you will save on vet bills and dog food and liability insurance... They ain't as much fun to pet, especially if you get a nasty one who cannot figure out the finer points of soap and water, but they are designed for apartment living as no dog ever was...
Thay r too bulky.

David
Fido

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 08:29 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Fido wrote:
Thay r too bulky.
David

Gassy, greedy, messy, irresponsible, horny, hungry, irrational, irratable, needy, lazy... Who has time for the full list??? I know a woman with a white faced old lab named Bob, who is a natural born begger... If you got food you are Bob's friend... She leaves the telivision on for Bob all day so he won't feel lonely... It wouldn't take any more than that to keep most folks happy... Take care of their material needs and show them the tv, and go about your business.... But with Dogs, to keep them couped up all day only means that when you are ready to relax they will be ready to go for a walk, and a long one...

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 09:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Irish Setter or a Cocker Spaniel.
David

I always thought the Cocker Spaniel was a gentle dog, until I spoke to my insurance agent, while buying home owners insurance. I was told that the Cocker Spaniel was enough of a biter to severely increase my insurance premiums. In fact the Cocker Spaniel was rated #1 in "troubled dogs".