Buying a Dog

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 09:19 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Based on your criteria I'd recommend an adult poodle or poodle mix.

Good choice. However, I'd go for a miniature poodle, as a full sized poodle would be too big. Poodles need grooming and that can be very, very expensive. Poodles are also biters...Quick, EFFECTIVE bites that draw blood.

If you have kids, I'd avoid the poodle, however. I'd then go for a Golden retriever and I'd hire a dog walker to walk the dog 3-4 times a day.
0 Replies

Always Eleven to him

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 10:07 am
@ossobuco,
I had an Irish Setter named Kelly, too. She was the sweetest dog, had severe ADHD, and was kind of dumb. She'd run forever, if we let her off the leash. And no food was safe anywhere in the house -- the definition of "chow hound" simply said, "See AETH's dog Kelly." Oh, yes, she also thought she was a lap dog.

My sister rescued her: She wandered into the barn where my sister kept her horse. You could count every rib. When sis tried to take her back to her "home," sis found that her owners had moved, had left Kelly in her outdoor pen, and Kelly had managed to escape and come to where she'd gotten food before. We loved her instantly, and she was a great member of the family.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 10:24 am
@Always Eleven to him,
Interesting. My husband found our Kelly in a lumber yard way across the city (it had the best deals, as I remember), skin and bones and still pretty much a puppy, and asked the yard people about the dog. They told him it had been hanging around for several days. So husband brought him home so we could feed him and find him a home. I said, oh, he's got a home right here.. and that was that.
We had a yard, and he soon had a fine dog house in it.. we took him for obedience training and husband soon enough went running with him most days.

On poodles, one word of caution. I'm somewhat allergic to dogs (cats much more) and was more allergic to a friend's poodle than I was to Kelly the setter, and way more than to the dog of my avatar, a corgi, who was close to non allergenic to me.

Corgis have their own need to be out and about and herding, so I wouldn't consider them for apartments either, unless you stay in the apartment with them and take them out frequently. With my corgi, I had a house, a biggish yard, and a job where I could take him to work.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 10:43 am
Poodles have many allergies, too.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:59 pm
@ChiantiaDansburgy,
apartment living? Cairn Terrier

http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/images/cairn_terrier.jpg
http://www.gibdogpetsuppliesblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/cairn-terrier.jpg
roger

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 04:46 pm
@Miller,
They also bark. Something to do with "water on the brain", probably due to faulty breeding.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 09:36 am
Poodles are the smartest of the smart...Water on brain, or not.
Always Eleven to him

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 10:19 am
@kuvasz,
Cairn Terrier a.k.a. Toto in the Wizard of Oz
Quote:
In the 1939 movie The Wizard of Oz, Toto was played by a female black Cairn Terrier whose real name was Terry. Terry was paid a $125 salary each week, which was far more than many of the human actors (the Singer Midgets who played the Munchkins only received $50 a week). During production Terry's foot was broken when one of the witch's guards stepped on her. A second dog had to be used while her foot healed. Because of the popularity of the movie, and because that role was the one she was most remembered for, Terry's owner changed her official name to Toto. She actually appeared in 13 different films. She died at age 10 or 11. Willard Carroll wrote her "autobiography," I, Toto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toto_(Oz)
Fido

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 06:15 am
@Always Eleven to him,
And your little dog, too!!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:16 am
@Miller,
I wasn't clear. It's Cocker Spaniels that have the reputation for water on the brain. Poodles? Just overly playfull.
0 Replies