Exit through the Gift Shop: Docu? or Mocku?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
for whom? I've read about banksy for years, so now you and boomer are arguing and I don't give a damn.

I'm from venice, a place of graffiti, which I despised if it was on my own built by me fence, or on my neighbor's fences and my neighbors added up. We weren't owned, nor were are efforts to put up a fence some kind of limp move. The graffiti were gang markers. Not ******* cute.

Artsiffication of graffiti is a major annoyance.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:10 pm
I tend to take it that people revelling in graffiti don't have a clue.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:18 pm
@ossobuco,
You're not following the (lack of ) argument. The controversy isn't the graffiti art itself but whether the highly acclaimed documentary directed Banksy himself is a work of a prankster and fiction and thusly isn't a documentary.

Me? I'm not a booster of graffiti art in general.
boomerang

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have to sign up for an account to read that article.

Can you give me the low down?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes, I followed it and did not give a hoot.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:21 pm
Gang markers are "tags", not "graffiti". Big difference.

And Tsar and I aren't arguing. (Tsar, did you see my new photo thread? You'd like it.)
Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:33 pm
@boomerang,
Go ahead and sign up for the NY Times, it's free and it's a great read. It's the highlight of my email every morning. I agree Osso is a little confused about the focus here. I love Banksy. What I heard from someone who has a 6 degrees of separation from the actual film is that it's a bit of a hybrid. There was a guy trying to make a film about street artists and was making a mess of it, so Banksy took over and made it both real and fictional at the same time. I'm not sure which part is pure and which is pure fiction, but it's certainly not all real.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:43 pm
@boomerang,
Oh, really?

Tell me all about it.

One is now called drawing.

I know them well.

I actually am somewhat open to graffiti, but I don't think it is all swell.

Have you had your house or business graffitied, Boom? I know you've hired a graffiti artist. There was a street in LA, I'm trying to remember, where designers got graffiti blasted. My later business partner left LA when the place next door (which we'd left in the better part of valor at around 4 pm) just before the next door place was firebombed.

I'm a long time fan of raging murals, most of the time.

This stuff is often drawing play, at least lately, but at base, it is meaningful.
I'm not confused.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:45 pm
@Green Witch,
Huh? I don't dislike banksy. I'm just not very interested.

Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, you should see the movie. It's much more than some kid with spray paint. It starts as documentary on street art and morphs into an examination of how people value art and artists based on marketing.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:51 pm
@Green Witch,
I'm thinking this is more like a Sacha Baron Cohen thing where this Thierry Guetta/Banksy character is the prank played against the real public in the film and perhaps the unknowing other graffiti artists who may have not met Banksy and know what he looks like.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:54 pm
@Green Witch,
I'm more interested in the nature of murals and give a **** about marketing.

I signed a Siqueiros petition in '63. No lectures about marketing, please.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
So you agree with the article that Thierry is Banksy? I'm not sure he would take the chance. Although it has to be a sort of prison to always face the world in shadow and the idea would probably tempt someone like him to pull off such a prank.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:57 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not lecturing you and the movie doesn't either, but it does make an interesting point about people and values.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:10 pm
@Green Witch,
Sorry, but, eh.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:53 pm
@Green Witch,
I had seen this idea floating around before this one article. The theory makes sense to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:03 pm
I think I'll leave, hoping no hard feelings.
Be well, all.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 08:43 am
@tsarstepan,
From the article.... I do believe this part is true:

Quote:
This is a very real film about what it means to ‘keep it real'.

And they obviously did a great job of that because it's been on my mind ever since I've saw the movie in a real chicken v. egg sort of way.

I love your comment, Green Witch, about pure and pure fiction.
0 Replies