Exit through the Gift Shop: Docu? or Mocku?

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 06:40 pm
Please don't start looking up a lot of links on this and posting them or information from them here!

If you've seen the movie and then went and looked up all the links please let me know WHY you did it but not what you learned. I want to know your first impressions, right after seeing the movie.

I think it was a mockumentary. Mostly because I don't think there is one person who is Banksy (who I love -- whoever or whatever s/he is). Also, the main character struck me as completely improbable and the art show at the end.... well..... do people fall for that kind of thing?

But I also think it had an interesting message about the nature of fame and culture.

What about you?

Real? Fake? Somewhere in between?

Why do you think that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,159 • Replies: 37
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 08:37 pm
Really?

Nobody?

I guess I might have to look up others opinions after all.

It's a very interesting movie whether it's real or not.

In college I took a class on "the artist as a social critic" and I've seen John Water's movie "Pecker" so all this is tumbling around in my head in a major way.

Anyone? Anyone? Ferris?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 08:57 pm
@boomerang,
It hadn't occurred to me that Banksy is more than one person, just from what I've read, but ... I haven't followed it all.
I've no idea at all about the movie - first I've heard of it.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:03 pm
@boomerang,
I've been putting it off from seeing it because of these fakery charges but all the reviews I have read were quite open that if not all of the film was fake, certain aspects created for the film.

I find it hard to believe that it could be nominated for documentary when much of it's contents is fiction (and I'm not talking about small amounts of scenes in a doc that are dramatized to illustrate actual historical events).

Is it worth my time to watch? Should I go out of my way to see it? Should I wait until it hits Netflix streaming?
boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:44 pm
@ossobuco,
I really haven't read much about him so I have no proof or things to cite saying he is more that one person.

But I think s/he is.

My opinion is really just based on what I've looked at though.

I heard about the movie when it first came out -- a few years ago I think.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:48 pm
@boomerang,
The movie only came out this year:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1587707/releaseinfo
boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
I wasn't aware that there were fakery charges but I can certainly see where they came from.

We got one free month of Netflix so I've been cramming in some documentaries over the last few days. "ETTGS" was available as an instant view or whatever they call it. I think it's worth watching for several reasons.

If you watch it I'd love to hear your reaction before you have a chance to read about.

I thought it all very Warholian, very The Factory, which put the end of the movie over the top and made it unbelievable for me.

But that doesn't make it any less interesting.

Actually the fact that I sat there saying "derivative, derivative, derivative" at the end of the movie is what made it all gel.
boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh!

I'm so behind on movies (especially documentaries) that I assumed it was older.
0 Replies

Bubbie90

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 01:14 am
@tsarstepan,
i think ive seen that movie not sure
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 03:31 am
@boomerang,
Now that I know it's on Netflix streaming, I'll watch it tonight or Saturday. Thanks for the good news Boomer.
boomerang

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 05:56 am
@tsarstepan,
Let me know what you think!
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 07:53 pm
@boomerang,
Finally watched it tonight. It's a slick and well produced film. I seriously can't tell if this is a sincere documentary or a very high brow version of Borat. I admit not knowing any context about the latest graffiti art scene so I can't make this assessment. There isn't any gotcha moment either where they make a mistake or make such an egregious statement that this proves the film is an act of fraud and thusly a mockumentary.

It's a watchable film which surprised me since I have a whole luggage rack filled with bagged preconceptions on the film. Before starting the film, I was afraid that I would shut it off half way through the film. Yet it's a compelling watch. Still peeved that this could be an entire lark created to pull the wool over its audience's eyes. An idea that burns me deeply. Documentaries should be created to tell the truth the best way the filmmaker can. Any other film under the documentary is simply propaganda with all its dangerous agendas lurking under the surface.

It doesn't try to wink~wink along with the viewer like Borat and give the parallel impression that the real life rubes targeted in the film were goofy and supposed to be laughed at and not laughed with. Of course the rubes in Exit were the gallery goers who flocked to the "Mr. Brainwash" exhibit.

It's an extension/evolution of the Warhol scene where the gallery goers in search for the next great pop scene get their chance to become quasifamous not for creating art themselves but just by arriving to the event and getting their face time by any media person carrying a camera and a notepad to write down blurbs.
boomerang

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 07:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm glad you watched it and I appreciate you're coming back here with your impressions!

I still haven't made up my mind. There is a big brick wall in my ability to believe.

I don't know if that brick wall is based on the simple fact that I didn't think the MBW stuff was very interesting (the monster made of TVs was kind of cool though).

I thought it very interesting that the people most likely to see the movie were also the ones most likely to be familiar with Warhol and The Factory and to understand the ..... idea..... behind manufacturing art.

I LOVE graffiti.

Once upon a time I fell for some graffiti on a wall here in town so I went into the building it was on to try to find out who painted it. Ohmygawd the paranoia I set off! Anyway, I left a business card asking that the person contact me if s/he should wander in because I wanted to hire them to paint a wall in my photo studio. About a month later I got an email, completely out of the blue. I hired the person, paid them a couple of hundred bucks and had them paint my wall. It was cool! When I closed the studio and had to paint over it, it nearly killed me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 08:24 am
Hmmm.....

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldu9wmEccB1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 08:45 am
my favourite banksy stunt

Paris Hilton targeted in CD prank

Hundreds of Paris Hilton albums have been tampered with in the latest stunt by "guerrilla artist" Banksy.

Banksy has replaced Hilton's CD with his own remixes and given them titles such as Why am I Famous?, What Have I Done? and What Am I For?

He has also changed pictures of her on the CD sleeve to show the US socialite topless and with a dog's head.

A spokeswoman for Banksy said he had doctored 500 copies of her debut album Paris in 48 record shops across the UK.

She told the BBC News website: "He switched the CDs in store, so he took the old ones out and put his version in."

It might be that there will be some people who agree with his views on the Paris Hilton album
HMV spokesman

But he left the original barcode so people could buy the CD without realising it had been interfered with.

Banksy is notorious for his secretive and subversive stunts such as sneaking doctored versions of classic paintings into major art galleries.

His spokeswoman said he had tampered with the CDs in branches of HMV and Virgin as well as independent record stores.

He visited cities including Bristol, Brighton, Birmingham, Newcastle, Glasgow and London, she added.

A spokesman for HMV said the chain had recovered seven CDs from two Brighton shops but was unaware that other locations were affected.

Artistic leeway

No customers had complained or returned a doctored version, he said.

"It's not the type of behaviour you'd want to see happening very often," he said.

"I guess you can give an individual such as Banksy a little bit of leeway for his own particular brand of artistic engagement.

"Often people might have a view on something but feel they can't always express it, but it's down to the likes of Banksy to say often what people think about things.

"And it might be that there will be some people who agree with his views on the Paris Hilton album."

A spokesman for Virgin Megastores said staff were searching for affected CDs but it was proving hard to find them all.

"I have to take my hat off - it's a very good stunt," he added.

cover and alterations can be seen here
http://gossip.elliottback.com/paris-hiltons-album-cover/
boomerang

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 08:55 am
@djjd62,
That's hilarious!

The really funny thing is that the people who are probably most likely to buy a Paris Hilton CD are going to be the ones to take it back for a refund if they found this. Those CDs are probably worth a fortune now and will eventually show up at auction thereby

http://gossip.elliottback.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/banksy-hilton-05.jpg

for Banksy too.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 10:55 am
I came across this graffiti map today for a certain artist called DAIM

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=105196052415632072945.000001120f6daf15bf280&ll=22.755921,-87.890625&spn=127.484485,316.054688&z=2

Pretty cool!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 11:14 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
and the art show at the end.... well..... do people fall for that kind of thing?

not having seen the doc yet, i can only guess at the gallery scene, but i get the idea a gag from a great scottish film That Sinking Feeling sort of sums it up, in the film Ronnie, Wal, Andy and Vic are four bored, unemployed teenagers from Glasgow. One day Ronnie comes up with the idea of stealing stainless steel sinks from a warehouse and selling them, they split the sinks up and try various ways to sell them

as i recall it (it's been around 30 years since i saw the film) one of the characters is pulling this pile of sinks along in a wagon, he wanders into an art gallery and while he tries to get the gallery owners attention, a pretentious pair start walking slowly around the pile of sinks in the wagon and spouting all sorts of rubbish about the artists tortured soul and the obvious message of consumerism gone awry, funny stuff
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 10:35 pm
Banksy is still claiming innocence about the validity of his alleged documentary.

Quote:
"If the movie was a carefully scripted prank you can be sure I would've given myself some better lines," Banksy says.

http://tinyurl.com/3aasv9k

Of course just because he doesn't get the best lines doesn't prove that this film is a genuine doc. It just strongly implies that Banksy is a shrewd conartist.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:29 pm
The controversy still continues:
THE CARPETBAGGER
New Doubts for a Film That Has Truth Issues

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/06/movies/awardsseason/06bagger.html?src=twt&twt=nytimesarts