All I want for Christmas

Swimpy

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 07:23 am
I don't know about you, but I have everything I need. I don't want people who are already financially strapped to give me Christmas gifts. I've asked my friends to donate to their favorite charities instead. (I don't need proof that they did it.) I've told everyone that I will donate to charity in lieu of gifts to them. Everyone, so far thinks it's a great idea.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,562 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 07:34 am
I like it. When i was a child, i was told that people should give 15% of their disposable income to charity, if they could afford to donate at all. This was alleged to be the standard of "old money." I think that standard has slipped in recent decades. I think it's a very sensible idea. You're clever, and i hope your friends respond.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 07:39 am
sounds great, may i suggest the "djjd62 needs a PS3" foundation as your family and friends first charitable cause Razz
djjd62

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 07:42 am
but seriously great idea, for my moms 70th birthday, a friend organized a campaign for everyone to buy kids book for a local reading initiative called "A Book Of My Own", a group that gives out books through library programs (mom was a teacher and is an avid reader)
squinney

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:20 am
Love it! Bear and I were talking last week about donating food to the local food bank instead of gifts to each other.

I have a list of needs that consists of three or four things under $10 in case the kids insist on getting me something (we haven't fully converted them yet to "it's enough that we are together Christmas day.")

I prefer thoughtful, homemade gifts if one insists on giving me something. Edible is a bonus!! But, my preference is that everyone just know that I know and value our relationship and one doesn't have to give me something to prove my valuation is accurate.
Swimpy

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:01 am
@squinney,
I agree. I'm much more concerned about sustaining relationships. Gift giving on demand doesn't really do much but add stress.

I also understand that in this economy charitable giving is way down.
Swimpy

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:02 am
@djjd62,
I'll pass the word Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:06 am
@Swimpy,
Yep.

I'm doing a donation in honor of my mom to a local (to her) homeless shelter. This was by request (I have a list of charities she favors).

Much less gift-giving this year and I'm fairly happy about it. It's a pretty good balance I think. I dislike giving gifts to people whose taste I don't really know (like far-flung relatives who I rarely see) but I also think that it's fun to give gifts to actual known and loved friends and family and wouldn't want to jettison that completely. Some just had a lot of thought put into them, some are hand-made.
boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:22 am
In our family we only give gifts to the kids. Unless your enrolled full time in college you end up off the holiday shopping lists when you graduate from high school.

We have a couple of charities that we support all year long and we donate building supplies to a homeless encampment on a regular basis so giving doesn't seem like much of a gift to give to someone.

One year we bought chickens and bees through Heifer International as gifts for two of our little nieces. That thought that was awesome even though they themselves didn't get the chickens and bees.

(www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.6452475/?utm_source=Heifer_Gift_Catalog&utm_medium=Webpage&utm_content=Website_Optimizer&utm_campaign=View_Full_Catalog?msource=kw2792&gclid=CJaJ_8Kk8aUCFQEGbAodomcFoA)
Swimpy

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 12:19 pm
@boomerang,
Speaking of kids. I adopted a gray wolf for my grandbaby.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 12:20 pm
That sounds cool . . . what does it entail?
Swimpy

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 01:00 pm
@Setanta,
http://www.worldwildlife.org/ogc/index.cfm?sc=AWY1106WC161&button1&enews=101216c

Lots of species to choose from.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 01:03 pm
Cool, Boss . . . thanks . . .
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 08:23 am
@boomerang,
Cool, boomer. I feel like a late comer to this idea, but better late than never.

Here's a site that a friend told me about that links to all kinds of charities.

https://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/store/categoryjson.do?siteId=220&categoryId=253&sort=Most%20Popular
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 08:23 am
@sozobe,
It feels good, doesn't it?
Swimpy

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 08:25 am
@squinney,
I think the local food bank is an excellent suggestion.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 08:26 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
but seriously great idea, for my moms 70th birthday, a friend organized a campaign for everyone to buy kids book for a local reading initiative called "A Book Of My Own", a group that gives out books through library programs (mom was a teacher and is an avid reader)

What was Mom's reaction?
boomerang

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 09:02 am
@Swimpy,
Are you hosting some kind of get together?

I have a friend who hosts a lovely Christmas party each year. She has a whole closet full of "hostess gifts" and didn't want any more but knew that people hate to come empty handed. She now asks people to bring a bag of pet food to donate to the shelter.

Everybody loves it!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 09:07 am
@Swimpy,
Yep!

We also do Heifer Int'l, World Wildlife Fund, Second Harvest food bank, HeatShare, Project for Pride in Living, Planned Parenthood, Nature Conservancy, Sierra Club, Amnesty International and more local ones I'm forgetting (my husband does donations every year through work).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 06:25 pm
So? How did it go?