What is it about Oprah?

MrIVI

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 02:42 pm
I mean this seriously who/what/how is Oprah whatever she is?

MrIVI

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 02:43 pm
@MrIVI,
I'm not going to involve myself in this discussion I'm just curious about what the answer is.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 03:02 pm
I think women find comfort in her success and manner. Many women relate to her poor childhood in which there was abuse, the fact that she's always struggled with her weight and she was an average looking black women making it in a tough industry that prizes white men and beautiful white women. She has a kindness about her that many people do not experience in their daily lives. She's like the psychiatrist many people would like to be able to afford but can't. She's the benevolent mother people wish they grew up with. I sometimes find her to be too saccharin and materialistic with enough New Age mumbo jumbo to make me roll my eyes and change the channel, but for many women (and I think her audience is mostly female) she is a soothing, friendly balm in their chaotic world.
chai2

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 03:17 pm
@Green Witch,
She's a savy businesswoman. I do admire that.
Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 03:38 pm
@Green Witch,
She is a good "talker". I once was at a women's leadership conference in which Oprah and Maya Angelou spoke. They had it set up like a living room where two girls are just chit chatting. All I needed was a little glass of wine (which I did get at the reception after the conference) and sit back and listen.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 05:03 pm
Everything is in timing.

She was the first bright black woman to make it big time, landing herself a major talk show, just when talk shows came into being. Everyone wanted to be on the show. She had great influence on the 25 - 45 year old stay at home moms. Was very influential in the last US election.

And she knows it's just the right time to leave . . .
farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 05:25 am
@PUNKEY,
She became a big Hit on Baltimore TV back in the 1970's . She was an investigative and feature reporter and the station knew then that it had a rising star on its hands. I dont know the circumstances that made her want to leave Baltimore but she was actually mourned by a large chunk of the community, black and white.

She had a real knack for getting to the bottom of an issue and she made a great story out of every assignment she was handed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 05:31 am
@PUNKEY,
Talk shows have been around since the 1950s . . . there have been talk shows a hell of a lot longer than Oprah has been in the spotlight.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 11:20 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

She's a savy businesswoman. I do admire that.

That she is and explains some of the how she is what she is.

What she is, is an extremely successful and powerful television personality that a very large number of people (predominantly female) enjoy spending part of their day watching and listening to.

She has a talent for connecting with her audience so that each of them feels as if she could easily be their friend...and to some extent already is.
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 02:31 am
What is it about oprah?

Well, I find that it is the very large German women who seem to nearly always take the lead role, who do it for me.
When you have one of those on stage, complete with tin hat, breastplate and spear, belting out a number about some ancient tragedy where her husband has been killed in battle, it fair brings a tear to the eye.

The tenors also make the hair stand on end, when they hit the high C.
0 Replies