My house might burn down - I'd better go on the internet

Wilso

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:35 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Wilso wrote:

Quote:
The US Consumer Product Safety Commission indicates that there were 440 total accidental electrocutions in the United States in 1999, 170 related to consumer products. Twenty-nine of those related to household wiring, 29 to small appliances, 22 to large appliances, 15 to power tools, 13 related to ladders, 12 to garden/farm equipment, and 9 to lighting equipment.

But that is only part of the story. According to the latest statistics from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), there is an annual average of 111,400 home fires caused by faulty electrical distribution systems, electrical appliances and equipment, or heating and air conditioning systems, taking an average of 860 lives, injuring 3,785 and causing nearly $1.3 billion in property damage.

Electrocution is now the fifth leading cause of work-related deaths in the United States, with over 50% of the total occurring in the construction industry.[/[/b[/size]]quote]

Yeah, just stick your head in the sand (or maybe it's normally up your ass), and it will all go away.

Yeah, and virtually all those WORK RELATED deaths are on circuits installed and maintained by good, qualified, union electrical workers. I think Wayne made some solid points. You are being an asshole.

I know that electrical workers will die. One of my two colleagues died because of his own mistake. The constant exposure to danger raises the risk. And it only takes one mistake.
And I also know, that I will NEVER change the attitude of people here who will continue to defend people doing work they've got no business doing. And I also know, that it's only the death of a friend, or relative, or child, in those circumstances, that will change these people's minds.

I realise now, that all I can do, is protect my own family, in my own home. And assist my friends, by doing free work in their homes - which I have done a lot of, so that they don't risk doing something themselves.

0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 09:02 am
@Wilso,
wilso wrote :

Quote:
I recently joined Q&A website. Having worked in the electrical field for 28 years, I thought maybe I might be able to help some people occassionally.

what kind of questions were you expecting ?
if you join to give advice , these kinds of questions are to be expected .

for your own peace of mind , you might better want to stay away from giving advice !!! ( HONESTLY !!! )
hbg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 12:09 pm
I have a licensed electrician who does work for me occasionally and hes good, really good. However, he has an annoying habit of wiring **** HOT. I fully expect to find him in a smoking pile of charred hair and skin someday. SO my wife has taken it to follow him around when he works so we dont have to call 911. He is stubborn and comes up with good excuses about how hes saving me noney because he doesnt have to keep running into the basement or out to the barn to trip circuit breakers.
0 Replies