My house might burn down - I'd better go on the internet

Ceili

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 08:41 pm
@ossobuco,
We all do sister. Very Happy
ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 08:43 pm
@Wilso,
Seriously. What is the matter with you? you seem to have gone completely off the deep end lately.

You hope someone dies installing an outlet?

You're getting seriously bizarre.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 08:44 pm
@Ceili,
Plus, don't get me going on lame-o guys. Do you have an hour?
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 08:48 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

Ceili wrote:

I've wired houses with my uncle and dad since I was little, but I know most of friends have no idea how to change a lighting fixture, and would probably get a nasty jolt just trying.

Are your uncle and dad qualified to wire houses? The reason I ask is because a father of a good friend of mine, and the man himself was also a good friend of mine, DIED in the roof of a house, because someone unqualified, had done something that they shouldn't. I've had 2 friends die. 1 is too many. I've decided to leave the site in question behind, because there are people there, experts in their field, who are instructing people who don't have the qualifications, in how to do electrical work. There are just too many things that can go wrong.

Having worked in the trades all my life, I am sure you are aware that qualified doesn't necessarily mean competent. As a no longer qualified plumber I am wondering if your principles aren't the cause of your upset.
I've fixed far more problems caused by qualified incompetents than anyone else, and I am sure you can say the same. As for qualifications in the circumstance you have described, homeowners are qualified to do the electrical work in thier homes all the way to the box. Please do your best to help them do it competently.

P.S. I am sorry for the loss of you friends, sincerely, I've lost a few also. That said, we both know that safety is job one and tradesmen die through thier own assumptions. Hard fact.
Wilso

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:10 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

Wilso wrote:

Ceili wrote:

I've wired houses with my uncle and dad since I was little, but I know most of friends have no idea how to change a lighting fixture, and would probably get a nasty jolt just trying.

Are your uncle and dad qualified to wire houses? The reason I ask is because a father of a good friend of mine, and the man himself was also a good friend of mine, DIED in the roof of a house, because someone unqualified, had done something that they shouldn't. I've had 2 friends die. 1 is too many. I've decided to leave the site in question behind, because there are people there, experts in their field, who are instructing people who don't have the qualifications, in how to do electrical work. There are just too many things that can go wrong.

homeowners are qualified to do the electrical work in thier homes all the way to the box. Please do your best to help them do it competently.

They may be in US. In Australia, they are NOT. Technically, an unlicenced person isn't even permitted to change a light globe. While that may be taking it a bit far, I will NEVER, condone an unlicenced person replacing or installing an outlet or fitting. NEVER, EVER.
Wilso

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:12 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Nice. Not. I hope you never need help with anything, cause bad karma's a bitch.

Don't worry, I've spent my entire life bending over backwards to help other people - but nobody has ever helped me with a ******* thing. So I've gotten used to only relying on myself.
Wilso

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:17 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Wilso wrote:
I sincerely hope that one day you are installing an outlet, and you die.

Dude... think about what you're saying. Max isn't the one that harmed your friend.

No, it was an idiot just like him. He thought he knew. He thought he didn't need 4 years of training, 900 hours of supervised wiring experience, and to complete a verbal and written test to gain a licence, and he made one simple mistake, because he wasn't qualified, and didn't have the knowledge, and so a pipe that should never have any power on it, was alive, and waiting for some poor sod to touch it while climbing around in that ceiling years later, and now he's dead.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:25 pm
@Wilso,
I am sorry about the loss of your friend.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:25 pm
@Wilso,
Well, I don't know anything at all about the code in Australia. American's pride themselves on self reliance and something like that would never fly here.

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:28 pm
@Wilso,
With that attitude, I can see why.
wayne

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:46 pm
@Wilso,
You know, I once took a nasty burn in a crawl space because a pipe that should never be live, was live. That was a mistake made by a qualified electrician in that case. So I guess all qualified electricians are idiots.
Get a grip man. Mistakes happen, totalitarian rules won't prevent them.
Human beings will always do what they're gonna do. You can, however, offer your knowledge to help prevent a few.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:50 pm
Bottom line is 'Wilso shouldn't volunteer to man a suicide hotline'
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:09 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

With that attitude, I can see why.

You know what. **** YOU YOU ******* STUCK UP MOLL.
Ceili

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:23 pm
@Wilso,
Right back at ya, mr. sunshine. Now go and take your meds...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:48 pm
If I needed them, at least I'd be alive to take them. ******* cows like you have to lose a child to someone else's incompetence, before you'll grow a brain.
Ceili

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:50 pm
@Wilso,
Rotate, buddy. I'll ignore your ignorant ranting from here on out.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:55 pm
Quote:
The US Consumer Product Safety Commission indicates that there were 440 total accidental electrocutions in the United States in 1999, 170 related to consumer products. Twenty-nine of those related to household wiring, 29 to small appliances, 22 to large appliances, 15 to power tools, 13 related to ladders, 12 to garden/farm equipment, and 9 to lighting equipment.

But that is only part of the story. According to the latest statistics from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), there is an annual average of 111,400 home fires caused by faulty electrical distribution systems, electrical appliances and equipment, or heating and air conditioning systems, taking an average of 860 lives, injuring 3,785 and causing nearly $1.3 billion in property damage.

Electrocution is now the fifth leading cause of work-related deaths in the United States, with over 50% of the total occurring in the construction industry.

Yeah, just stick your head in the sand (or maybe it's normally up your ass), and it will all go away.
Ceili

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:15 pm
@Wilso,
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:29 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

Quote:
The US Consumer Product Safety Commission indicates that there were 440 total accidental electrocutions in the United States in 1999, 170 related to consumer products. Twenty-nine of those related to household wiring, 29 to small appliances, 22 to large appliances, 15 to power tools, 13 related to ladders, 12 to garden/farm equipment, and 9 to lighting equipment.

But that is only part of the story. According to the latest statistics from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), there is an annual average of 111,400 home fires caused by faulty electrical distribution systems, electrical appliances and equipment, or heating and air conditioning systems, taking an average of 860 lives, injuring 3,785 and causing nearly $1.3 billion in property damage.

Electrocution is now the fifth leading cause of work-related deaths in the United States, with over 50% of the total occurring in the construction industry.[/[/b[/size]]quote]

Yeah, just stick your head in the sand (or maybe it's normally up your ass), and it will all go away.

Yeah, and virtually all those WORK RELATED deaths are on circuits installed and maintained by good, qualified, union electrical workers. I think Wayne made some solid points. You are being an asshole.
Wilso

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:29 pm
This Sunday I'll be getting into the roof of my house, and re-routing some wiring, so that I can fit a couple of earth leakage protected GPO's onto my power circuit, and protect my kids. Despite the disgust I feel over the attitude of some of you people, I really hope - very strongly, that nobody here ever has to stand by a hole in the ground, and watch the casket containing the body of their child be lowered into the ground, because someone performed work that they're not qualified to do. I wish I could stop all the deaths of children that will occur, because someone did something as simple transposing two wires. Because that's all it takes. And most of you don't have to knowledge to understand how mixing up the active and neutral, can actually kill someone.
0 Replies