Land line telephones.

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 09:38 am
When I was 17 and moving into my first apartment, where I would be living blissfully alone, I went to set up phone service. When I said I only needed one phone the customer service person asked if I was going to live in a studio apartment. I said "no" so he said "then you need two phones -- a young woman living alone should always have a phone in her bedroom, and a way to lock or block the door". He went on to give me a lovely little fatherly talk about safety and told me he wanted me to be safe.

I guess his lesson stuck because even in the era of cell phones I insist on having a land line on each floor of the house. "What if there's a fire? What if someone breaks in? What if... what if... what if?"

Mr. B insists I'm ridiculous -- even though he leaves his cell phone at the front door, turned off, every day when he comes home from work. My cell phone is always in my purse, usually turned off. If something happened there is no way we could get to our cell phones quickly.

The last of our land lines bit the dust yesterday so I'm going out to buy replacements today.

Mr. B insists I'm being ridiculous.

Am I?

Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 09:50 am
@boomerang,
Nothing EVER is ridiculous if it gives you some peace of mind. If you want to create a scenario that is actually safer, perhaps you need to think about installing a landline phone that does not use batteries (not a cordless phone) or relies on RF signals (cell phones). Then the possibility of making an emergency call with some surety has the highest percentage of success. Cordless phones can run out of power. Cell phones can have dropout and/or loss of power at a crucial time.

However, don't get into the issue with Mr. B about whether or not he thinks it's warranted or you jsut being paranoid or overly cautious. Just go ahead and do what makes you feel the best re the phones. After all, it's not a small fortune and it's your peace of mind that counts (when he's not at home).
boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 09:53 am
@Ragman,
Thank you!

I know about non-cordless phones but I'm unfamiliar with RF signal phones. Is something like that clearly marked on the phone package?
Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 09:56 am
@boomerang,
Sorry for any confusion.
What I meant was RF = cell phones which all use outisde cell towers. However, cordless phones (employ a landline connecting to base unit) use batteries and transmit inside the house like walky-talky and 'beam' a signal using microwave freq.). The outside RF phone connection I mean is for cell phone. Is that at all clear?
boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 09:59 am
@Ragman,
Yes, thank you!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 10:20 am
I have a land line on each floor too, and one phone next to my bed. I feel safer
that way and that's what's important.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 10:33 am
@boomerang,
I guess it's still good to have a corded phone at home just in case of a power outage that lasts slightly longer then one's cell phone battery.

Did the phone service person sell you a second phone line (with a separate phone number attached to the separate line) or just a connection for a second phone connection? I haven't lived in a house that didn't have phone connections on each floor (with the basement being the exception).
boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 10:37 am
@CalamityJane,
Thank you! I feel safer that way too but I was beginning to worry that I was some kind of doddering old relic.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 10:42 am
@tsarstepan,
This was 33 years ago and things were a bit different then -- phones were free with service and there was just a tiny charge (like maybe $3) for the second phone. All phones had to be plugged into a phone jack. I had two phones but one phone number.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 11:13 am
@boomerang,
Land lines are much more reliable than cell towers anyway. Local telcos have backup power supplies so that if the power goes out in the area your phone still works. Another consideration is that land lines have much better sound quality than cell towers so the phone is easier to hear.
boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 11:26 am
@engineer,
Good points! Thank you.

I'm going to have to show this thread to Mr. B so he won't think I'm so silly.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 11:34 am
On 9/11 cell phones stopped working, since there was one cell phone antenna atop the World Trade Center, I believe. Plus, when there has been a power outage, cordless (landline) phones (already mentioned on this thread) stop working. So, for emergencies beyond one's home, a plain old fashioned landline corded phone is dependable. However, a cellphone turned off, but near one's bed, means one can be in the middle of escaping a "situation" and still call emergency personnel.

Let us not forget the old-fashioned value of a plain whistle. Some emergencies might need neighbors to be awakened.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 11:49 am
I have land line phones as my primary house phones too, Boomer. Only one of them is a non-portable phone. It's in the basement near the laundry and I almost never use it, but it's there when I need to call ComEd and tell them my power is out again (chronic problem here, unfortunately).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 12:39 pm
@boomerang,
Land lines are good, reliable, cheap insurance.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 01:16 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

When I was 17 and moving into my first apartment, where I would be living blissfully alone, I went to set up phone service. When I said I only needed one phone the customer service person asked if I was going to live in a studio apartment. I said "no" so he said "then you need two phones -- a young woman living alone should always have a phone in her bedroom, and a way to lock or block the door". He went on to give me a lovely little fatherly talk about safety and told me he wanted me to be safe.

I guess his lesson stuck because even in the era of cell phones I insist on having a land line on each floor of the house. "What if there's a fire? What if someone breaks in? What if... what if... what if?"

Mr. B insists I'm ridiculous -- even though he leaves his cell phone at the front door, turned off, every day when he comes home from work. My cell phone is always in my purse, usually turned off. If something happened there is no way we could get to our cell phones quickly.

The last of our land lines bit the dust yesterday so I'm going out to buy replacements today.

Mr. B insists I'm being ridiculous.

Am I?

No, you're not being ridiculous.

However, I spent about 2/3's of my life worrying about all the "what ifs" some people instilled in me early on. At that point I had an awakening, realizing not one of those "what ifs" had happened. Oh, I guess maybe a version of some of them happened, but they were handled the same way as if I had spent years waiting for that shoe to drop.

If you've determined for yourself, for your reasons that having a phone in your room makes you safer, then fine.

If you think you're supposed to feel safer because of some avuncular advice, you may continually question it.

Personally, I feel safer knowing I have a weapon of some kind close at hand in whatever room I'm in. Not necessary a gun, although that's in easy reach of where I sleep. There's other things by my bed that can be utilized in self defense.
If someone breaks in my house, I have the advantage of knowing where all objects that can be used in defense are, in every room.

I guess I figure a lot of damage can be done to me between the time I make a phone call, and the time the cops arrive. I want the opportunity to dish some back out, and get away.

As far as fires, there's no place in my house where I don't have at least 2 exits, as in doors. We did that on purpose.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 08:55 pm
I keep a telegraph in my bedroom.

Just in case all the telephones quit working at the same time.

... _ _ _ ...

0 Replies