Do you remember English 101?

plainoldme

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 10:59 am
@Gargamel,
Here's is the issue. EVery text book designed for use in developmental (remedial) English for college students offers several identical chapters. One chapter always deals with the fact that the subject of the sentence is never the object of a preposition.

Because I attended Catholic elementary schools during the 1950s where we diagrammed sentences beginning in the third grade, I thought that the inclusion of such a chapter is in a text is ridiculous.

I was wrong. These kids will identify an object of a preposition (which they can not distinguish from an auxiliary verb, a conjunction or an adverb) as the subject of a sentence.

My contention -- shared by each and everyone of my colleagues who teach remedial writing and reading -- is that if you can not identify the subject of the sentence, you can not comprehend what the sentence is about and what the author is telling you.

JTT wrote a sentence without explaining his intention. I asked him twice what he is suggesting.

I assume that he is saying that "store" is the subject of the sentence. Store is not the subject of the sentence.

I didn't want to state that because JTT takes exception to the fact that were I to reform education in America, I would bring back diagramming, although I would probably use the Montessori method rather than the Catholic school method.

If people working in developmental English, with students who can not read (in some cases) beyond the third grade level, advocate a return to sentence diagramming to boost their reading level, why does JTT take umbrage on the matter? I have assumed JTT is a man, although that is simply a hunch. The poster JTT has not written anything which indicates gender. I have also assumed JTT is several years my junior (I will be 64 next month). I assume nothing about "his" profession other than he is not an English teacher.

What he expects me to correct in the sentence he created is beyond me. If he thinks store is the subject of the sentence, then he is in a sorry state.
JTT

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 11:47 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
That question can not be answered. Which part of, "Mom, me and Henry are going to the store," am I supposed to address?

That's simple. It's a yes/no question. Does this sentence provide an example of your contention? If you don't believe that it does, the answer would be 'no'. If it does provide an example then your answer would be 'yes'.

If it doesn't provide an example, why are you so reluctant to provide an example? The textbook surely provided at least one example.

Quote:
Frankly, in posting that particular sentence, you were telling me which word you think is the subject. It is not the correct one.

Even here you hedge. What do you have against being clear and concise?

JTT

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 12:16 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
EVery text book designed for use in developmental (remedial) English for college students offers several identical chapters.

That should raise a red flag right away.

Quote:
One chapter always deals with the fact that the subject of the sentence is never the object of a preposition.

But you won't. Why?

Quote:
My contention -- shared by each and everyone of my colleagues who teach remedial writing and reading -- is that if you can not identify the subject of the sentence, you can not comprehend what the sentence is about and what the author is telling you.

Again, a crock of sour owl manure. I've asked before but it seems that you are unable or reluctant to think about it. These kids have grown up discussing the subjects of innumerable sentences. They form ideas and put all the right words in the word order that English grammar demands.

They do this so quickly and with such ease. They haven't gone through a fog of misunderstanding since the age of five. They don't use a preposition in the position of the verb, or the object, or the subject. Their word order causes no concern to the adults around them. The adults understand, the adults are not shocked by a foreign word order.

The corrections that adults normally provide have nothing to do with mixing up verbs, relative pronouns, nouns, ... . When adults do offer corrections, it's
usually misguided notions [prescriptions] about English.
Quote:
JTT wrote a sentence without explaining his intention. I asked him twice what he is suggesting.

I assume that he is saying that "store" is the subject of the sentence. Store is not the subject of the sentence.

That's a pretty silly assumption.

What I have been suggesting is that you provide, for YOUR contention, a more complete description, with examples, as any normal English teacher would. I can't grasp why that should cause anyone in the field any problem.

Quote:
I didn't want to state that because JTT takes exception to the fact that were I to reform education in America, I would bring back diagramming, although I would probably use the Montessori method rather than the Catholic school method.

A red herring, Pom, and an unnecessary but potentially interesting topic.

Quote:
If people working in developmental English, with students who can not read (in some cases) beyond the third grade level, advocate a return to sentence diagramming to boost their reading level, why does JTT take umbrage on the matter?

We can discuss this after you, the English teacher, answers an exceedingly simple yes/no question? I doubt that I have to repeat it.

Or, if you like, we can discuss this in parallel posts or even in the same post, in separate paragraphs, and separate sections.

Quote:
What he expects me to correct in the sentence he created is beyond me. If he thinks store is the subject of the sentence, then he is in a sorry state.

I didn't ask for a correction. All I asked, I guess it has to be repeated, was whether that sentence was an example of the contention you've raised a number of times.

Yes or no; if no, then please provide an example sentence which illustrates this major problem that you suggest the kids just don't grasp.

JTT

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 12:33 pm
@Gargamel,
But thankfully, you do know better. You know that that's an assumption miles too big.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 12:47 pm
@JTT,
What do you have against being clear and concise? How can a sentence without underlining and/or a description have a yes or no answer? IT IS NOT A YES OR NO QUESTION!
plainoldme

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 01:08 pm
@JTT,
Because I was not about to insult to your intelligence, which I presumed you had. Your attitude says, "I am superior to you because I know there is no need to teach this stuff. Just look at me!"

Why should a red flag be raised? For what and by whom? You rail at me to be clear while you are murky.

Is the red flag raised as a warning that I am missing something? The only thing I was missing was either how bad the teaching has become -- which was not what I saw at the schools my own kids attended -- or how much these students slacked during high school.

Do you know what a preposition is?

I should wait for you to tell me, but, I have the feeling you won't. I also have the feeling you do not know; that your air of superiority has nothing to support it.

A preposition is a word or phrase that signals placement in time or space -- on, above, before, on top of -- that forms a phrase to introduce the object of the preposition and to link it to the rest of the sentence by allowing the object of the preposition to receive the action of the verb and to describe the position of the subject of the sentence in relationship to the object of the preposition.

talk72000

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 01:16 pm
@plainoldme,
We had E.B. White and David Frost.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 01:23 pm
@JTT,
I wrote:
Quote:

JTT answered:
Quote:
Again, a crock of sour owl manure. I've asked before but it seems that you are unable or reluctant to think about it. These kids have grown up discussing the subjects of innumerable sentences. They form ideas and put all the right words in the word order that English grammar demands.

They do this so quickly and with such ease. They haven't gone through a fog of misunderstanding since the age of five. They don't use a preposition in the position of the verb, or the object, or the subject. Their word order causes no concern to the adults around them. The adults understand, the adults are not shocked by a foreign word order.

The corrections that adults normally provide have nothing to do with mixing up verbs, relative pronouns, nouns, ... . When adults do offer corrections, it's
usually misguided notions [prescriptions] about English.

No, not all kids "put sentences together in the correct order the language demands." There are also some that can speak fluently but can neither read nor write and others that can speak fluently, but can read in terms of rendering the printed words as sounds but can not assign a meaning to them, even if they are able to write.

The ability to read can be quantified. Most students taking remedial level writing classes can not read on the college level. Many taking English 101 can not read on the college level.

When you ask students, what is the subject of a sentence such as yours, they will answer, "the store." They do this because their understanding of their own language is deficient.

What they were not given -- or what they refused to receive -- were the tools necessary to navigate in their native tongue. The words noun, verb, adjective and preposition are codes, short-hand if you will, for their function. Perhaps, you can conduct yourself reasonably without knowing them, but, the truth of the matter is that people who succeed know them so well they do not have to think about them. The tool has become as much a part of the person as their name.

What a reading comprehension test measures is how well you understand the written the word. These kids without adequate (NB: I purposefully did not say proper . . .the word is adequate.) grammar instruction can not comprehend what they read.

These kids admit that they create run on sentences because they can not distinguish one thought from another. Run on sentences are the companion to the preposition-object problem in terms of understanding.

Now, you fail to understand but you can not ask in a non-belligerent manner. You also seem not to able to research the problem on your own.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 01:27 pm
@JTT,
No, the assumption is not too big. Remember, those kids are also in developmental reading.

The curriculum I designed for my supposedly college level freshman is one that my own kids had as 10th graders. I had a similar curriculum during my own sophomore year.

My students can not understand the essays in their anthology without help. They do not read well because the grammar instruction they received was poor.

You were told they were in remedial reading. You chose to ignore that fact, I suspect, because it proves your assumptions wrong.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 01:44 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
How can a sentence without underlining and/or a description have a yes or no answer? IT IS NOT A YES OR NO QUESTION!

There has been a description each time I've asked. In that sentence of nine words, is there, no, better, could there be an example of what you described in the quote below?

Quote:
Pom wrote: Every developmental text book has a unit on teaching the fact that the object of a preposition is never the subject of a sentence. I laughed. No one thinks the object of a preposition is the subject of a sentence, I thought.

Let's Is the problem an ill-defined word? Are you thinking of 'subject of a sentence' in the grammatical sense or are you thinking of it in the 'idea/situation described by and in the sentence?

If so, has this distinction been made perfectly clear to the students?

Can you provide an example to make clear exactly what you mean in the above quote?
plainoldme

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 02:05 pm
@JTT,
What is this alleged ideal situation described by the sentence? The subject of the sentence has only one meaning. Store is not the subject either in grammatical terms or real life terms. The situation described is one of two people telling a third where they are going. No matter how you wish to construe the sentence, it means that two people are announcing their intention.

No, there was never a complete description: just the words of your sentence. If you had added . . . Note the word added . . . a question which, in this case, would be, are contending that store is not the subject of the question. Really, if you want to make store the subject of their quest . . . which doesn't work logically or grammatically . . . then that is what? insanity?
plainoldme

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 02:06 pm
@JTT,
Finally, what does this mean:
Quote:
Let's Is the problem an ill-defined word?

JTT

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 02:37 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
No, not all kids "put sentences together in the correct order the language demands."

Do you mean speech or writing? Of course, there are second language learners who might be having some problems depending upon the age that they came into English.

Quote:
There are also some that can speak fluently but can neither read nor write and others that can speak fluently, but can read in terms of rendering the printed words as sounds but can not assign a meaning to them, even if they are able to write.

That's highly likely. And here we can see my point. These specific kids you speak of know the language but they don't know the artificial aspects of language, namely reading and writing. We know that they are artificial because they have to be taught.

Quote:
The ability to read can be quantified. Most students taking remedial level writing classes can not read on the college level. Many taking English 101 can not read on the college level.

I agree. But this has nothing to do with their ability to correctly use the pertinent parts of speech in the correct location within their speech.

Again, and of course, that has never immediately translated into either an ability to read or write. Additionally, that never translates into an innate ability to discuss the grammar of English, that never translates into an innate ability to understand the new jargon of the grammar of English.

Quote:
When you ask students, what is the subject of a sentence such as yours, they will answer, "the store." They do this because their understanding of their own language is deficient.

As I mentioned in my previous response to this, that may well be because there has been a poor level of instruction in this new vocabulary. There are hundreds of thousands of meanings for words that we all don't know. The one they do know for 'subject', is a good reflection of their understanding at that time.

For the most common meaning of 'subject', the one that all these students would know, that is indeed a meaning found within that sentence.

Quote:
What they were not given -- or what they refused to receive -- were the tools necessary to navigate in their native tongue. The words noun, verb, adjective and preposition are codes, short-hand if you will, for their function.

I don't know how you can say this. We've had this discussion before. That is complete bunko. There are all manner of "people who succeed" who make the most elementary mistakes about these code words, not to mention how and why they are used in English. Strunk, White, Lederer, Garner, DF Wallace, the list is long.

I pointed out a US college level grammar site that is riddled with errors. Go to "Brians errors" [sp?] website to see a college level professor's myriad errors. See the errors of Stanley Fish, supposedly one of the top English professors in the US. Read the errors of Jacques Barzun, a highly successful man. The Grammar Girl, the now dead Grammar Lady, grammar incompetents all, yet highly successful.

Quote:
Perhaps, you can conduct yourself reasonably without knowing them, but, the truth of the matter is that people who succeed know them so well they do not have to think about them. The tool has become as much a part of the person as their name.

As noted above, they think they know them well. That comes from their childhood. That's when they learned all the parts of speech. You make the same error, again. You are confusing knowing a jargon with intuitively knowing the parts of speech.

As I have mentioned, if we were to, right this moment, change all the names for the parts of speech, does that mean you, and all these people who succeed would become mute, would lose their ability to read and write, and to speak?

Please address the question in the paragraph above.

Kids learn to write by writing and they learn to read by reading, both of them a lot! They don't learn these things by being taught ABOUT language. [not that isn't a valuable venture in and of itself]

Quote:
These kids admit that they create run on sentences because they can not distinguish one thought from another. Run on sentences are the companion to the preposition-object problem in terms of understanding.

Kids don't know why they do this anymore than you do. We use run on sentences all the time. Speech is loaded with all manner of things that we simply don't do in writing. Speech doesn't have question marks, commas, periods; speech has dangling modifiers, speech has, again, myriad things that aren't found in writing.

How are the kids supposed to know this when all they've had are the rules for speech to guide them?

Kids will admit anything that a blustering teacher tells them? Hell, there are sentient adults who "admit" that Strunk & White helped them learn about their language. There are sentient adults who spout numerous "rules" for English that have little or nothing to do with English.

Quote:
Now, you fail to understand but you can not ask in a non-belligerent manner.

My apologies.

Quote:
You also seem not to able to research the problem on your own.

This, excuse my frankness, is as fatuous as your idea, a bit above, that I am unfamiliar with the parts of speech. I'm certainly no top level expert on that particular aspect, but having read the English/Grammar/ESL sections here at A2K, you do know that I discuss them quite frequently.

You also know that I have done considerable research on language and I'm more than willing to engage in various topics related to language.

Do you see how those two statements of yours are fatuous?
JTT

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 03:00 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Store is not the subject either in grammatical terms or real life terms.

That doesn't mesh with the first, and most common meaning that 'subject' has in English.

Quote:

subject

an idea, problem, situation, etc. that you discuss or write about
Can we talk about a different subject please?
subject of: He’s never mentioned the subject of money.
The subject of our debate today will be the environment.
bring up a subject (=deliberately start talking about a subject): It was Carol who brought up the subject of sports facilities.
get onto a subject (=start talking about a subject without planning to): Somehow we got onto the subject of education.
drop a subject (=deliberately stop talking about a subject): Look, I don’t want to talk about it, so can we drop the subject?
get off the subject (=stop talking about something because you have become interested in something else): We’re getting off the subject here – let’s get back to your book.
change the subject (=deliberately start talking about something else to avoid an argument or embarrassing situation): Can we change the subject, please?

This is the one that students know so well. 'subject', in the grammatical sense, is rather artificial, but that's alright because we do use words for different scenarios. But we shouldn't slight folks for not remembering grammar terms. They are hard to get to use to, grammar is a difficult subject, and those terms are completely artificial to their language, ie. they are not of their language.

[they are even artificial to the vast vast majority of adults, all of whom are successful in one manner or another]

Maybe this will be easier to understand by telling you something that, if you thought about it for a bit, you'd see you already know; these terms are not cast in stone. In fact, some have been redefined, some terms which seemed
vitally important to generations of "grammar" teachers have been dropped.

You are not up to date on all the current grammar terminology, nor are you up to date on their meanings or uses. But not to worry, most people, myself included, aren't either.

Quote:
The situation described is one of two people telling a third where they are going. No matter how you wish to construe the sentence, it means that two people are announcing their intention.

You've described 'subject' is terms that take it completely away from its grammatical meaning and put it in its most well understood meaning, that found in the McMillan dictionary entry above.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 03:10 pm
@plainoldme,
That means there was a change in my approach to the construction of that sentence. But you knew, and know that.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 04:21 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Because I was not about to insult to your intelligence, which I presumed you had. Your attitude says, "I am superior to you because I know there is no need to teach this stuff. Just look at me!"

But, above, you attempted to do just that, insult my intelligence. But please don't worry about that, I've not always been Miss Manners.

I am making an argument, not suggesting that I'm in any way superior to you. I suspect that you can do and do do a bang up job of helping kids learn to read and write.

I'm saying that many of the ideas that you and others in this field have are inaccurate. Let's go back to this one, below, from another post.

Quote:

Here I think I'm correct in assuming that by 'subject' you mean the grammatical subject. As I've discussed, and I don't want to belabor the point but I think that many people think, teachers like yourself included, that just because kids are told once or twice about the grammatical meaning of 'subject', that it sticks, that it takes.

Of course it doesn't. It's just like all the rules/prescriptions that these kids, and adults are fed. They simply don't stick/take because they are not natural. Consider all the terms that you learned in psych, sociology, geography, biology, chemistry, ... . Do you remember all of those? Could you identify those in nature, in real life?

How could you and your colleagues seriously suggest that because a kid can't grammatically parse the sentence,

They went to the store

that kid "can not comprehend what the sentence is about and what the author is telling" the kid, without breaking into uncontrollable laughter?

Now don't go taking this all personal. There are few in academia [in life too] who are ready or capable of looking at the status quo and seriously questioning it. We all say, repeat, really, the dumbest things simply because we were taught those things.

What I've found in my long experience with teaching and language is that those who are hotshots at grammar and parsing are incompetents at actually discussing the nuances of language, the workings of language.

They are the David F Wallaces, the Bryan Garners, the William Safires of language but when their actual knowledge is put to the test they are found wanting. The only reason that their careers prosper [in the grammatical, advice on language sense] is that their readers were also raised as grammatical/knowing about language incompetents.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 05:28 pm
I just read this, from an article posted in a thread started by Boomerang.

To learn from teachers, you first have to learn about teachers.

http://able2know.org/topic/170129-1

Quote:
...Daphna ran through the same nine sequences with all the children, but with one group, she acted as if she were clueless about the toy. ("Wow, look at this toy. I wonder how it works? Let's try this," she said.) With the other group, she acted like a teacher. ("Here's how my toy works.") When she acted clueless, many of the children figured out the most intelligent way of getting the toy to play music (performing just the two key actions, something Daphna had not demonstrated). But when Daphna acted like a teacher, the children imitated her exactly, rather than discovering the more intelligent and more novel two-action solution.

.....They provide scientific support for the intuitions many teachers have had all along: Direct instruction really can limit young children's learning. Teaching is a very effective way to get children to learn something specific—this tube squeaks, say, or a squish then a press then a pull causes the music to play. But it also makes children less likely to discover unexpected information and to draw unexpected conclusions.

....For example, if you know how teachers work, you tend to assume that they are trying to be informative. When the teacher in the tube-toy experiment doesn't go looking for hidden features inside the tubes, the learner unconsciously thinks: "She's a teacher. If there were something interesting in there, she would have showed it to me." These assumptions lead children to narrow in, and to consider just the specific information a teacher provides. Without a teacher present, children look for a much wider range of information and consider a greater range of options.

http://www.slate.com/id/2288402/

This,

"But when Daphna acted like a teacher, the children imitated her exactly, rather than discovering the more intelligent and more novel two-action solution."

really caught my attention. Perhaps this goes some way to explaining how so many people can repeat so many "grammar rules" that are directly and commonly contradicted by how we actually use language.

Telling them that a particular "rule" was invented just a couple of hundred years ago, or even just a generation ago, for spurious reasons no less, and the language that is being attacked as "bad" has been around for much longer than the "rule", seems to make no difference.

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:14 pm
@JTT,
English uses the same words in the same form both as nouns and verbs. Unless one understands grammar/syntax, it is difficult to differentiate between them. For example, post could mean a wooden stick set into the ground as a support or a response contributed to this forum as well as the act of responding.

A person who reads on the third grade level generally writes on the third grade level. For most, it is possible to improve their ability to both read and write. Those who continue on the third grade level, however, can not comprehend a daily newspaper which, traditionally, is written at the eighth grade level.

Grammar is a tool. These kids do know what the word subject means. They can not apply it to all of the sentences they see. That is part of their inability to read even at the eighth grade level. They lack the tools they need.

I have reached your fourth response within your first post. The rest is gobbledeegook. I'm just not going to read the rest of it. You don't know what you are talking about and to continue to respond would be a waste of my time. Go bother someone else.

I will say one thing: Gargamel's post is looks to be a comment on you. You're missing the sarcasm.

plainoldme

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:17 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Speech doesn't have question marks, commas, periods;

Yes, it does. We call such things inflection. Stop making a fool of yourself.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 10:41 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Grammar is a tool. These kids do know what the word subject means.

That's what I've been telling you. They do know what 'subject' means. They also know how to make something the grammatical subject of a sentence. They've done it millions of times as they were growing up. They know this intuitively.

And now you know this consciously.

Of course they don't know about the vocabulary of grammar , nor do they know consciously how grammar works. In this they are just like their teachers.

Quote:
They can not apply it to all of the sentences they see. That is part of their inability to read even at the eighth grade level. They lack the tools they need.

Grammar IS a tool, an exceedingly complicated one. You don't teach grammar, Pom, because you don't know grammar or understand grammar. You made that abundantly clear by your avoidance of the issues I've raised.

Where these kids have gotten to has required a knowledge of grammar that makes the remedial stuff you teach look like kindergarten.

Quote:
Most of the prescriptive rules of the language mavens make no sense on any level. They are bits of folklore that originated for screwball reasons several hundred years ago and have perpetuated themselves ever since. For as long as they have existed, speakers have flouted them, spawning identical plaints about the imminent decline of the language century after century.

All the best writers in English have been among the flagrant flouters. The rules conform neither to logic nor tradition, and if they were ever followed they would force writers into fuzzy, clumsy, wordy, ambiguous, incomprehensible prose, in which certain thoughts are not expressible at all. Indeed, most of the "ignorant errors" these rules are supposed to correct display an elegant logic and an acute sensitivity to the grammatical texture of the language, to which the mavens are oblivious.

http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/articles/media/1994_01_24_thenewrepublic.html

Quote:
I will say one thing: Gargamel's post is looks[sic] to be a comment on you. You're missing the sarcasm.

Didn't miss a thing. But you sure did. You're avoiding things that have hit you squarely between the eyes but they scare you big time;

"I know that it's right but if I admit this to myself, how can I teach, how can I talk to my colleagues, when I know that they are full of ****?"

But that's definitely not what teachers do. Teachers don't shut their eyes and minds to the truth simply because they are scared by the prospect of not understanding fully.

You are so scared that you can't even put forward an explanation [hell, you can't even provide an example] for a grammatical concept that you've raised. You dance around the issue, never touching it directly because you're afraid of what you might hear, you're afraid that you're simplistic ideas will be rocked.