Is anyone watching "Undercover Boss"

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 06:34 pm
Damn.

That's a good show!

It reminds me of the old Michael Moore show "TV Nation" where he'd do things like ask the CEO of Ford to change his oil, or the CFO of General Electric to change a lightbulb.

The show where the owner of the Chicago Cubs got fired for being too slow when cleaning the bathrooms was brilliant!

Ceili

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 07:24 pm
@boomerang,
I saw that one too, loved it.
I really like the show.
boomerang

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 08:08 pm
@Ceili,
That show makes me cry. Seriously.

I have worked those "trench" jobs and wished that the people who made the decisions knew what they were really doing.

It really helped me when I worked in management and when I owned my own business.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 11:56 pm
I love the show Boomer. I have some problems with some of it, but I won't miss it.
boomerang

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 07:06 am
@Roberta,
I agree that there are some problems with it but overall I think it's a worthwhile exercise for all the people participating. I've only seen a few episodes so I'm not familiar enough with the format to really pick up on how it all works.

But the people are so great! I LOVED the hot dog vendor at Wrigley Field and the kid who ran the Subway sandwich shop that was inside the church.

The other episode I saw was the owner of Lucky Strike bowling lanes. That was strange and different.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 12:25 pm
I've only seen two. The one with about Hooters made me more determined than ever to never step foot in one of those restaurants. and the otherwas a 7-11 quickie mart. In the 7-11 episode the owner gave one of the truck drivers his own franchise, but he only made a charity donation in the name of one of his very sick (but outstanding) employees who probably could have used the money more than the charity. Her face actually showed the disappointment when she realized it was a charity donation and not a contribution to her own needs. I've often thought most CEO's would be incapable of the doing the dirty work for their own enterprises. I worked for years in the computer industry and our CEO couldn't even properly type on keyboard. He mostly had spreadsheet demo programs running like screen savers so it looked like he was doing something.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 12:42 pm
The wonderful employees that show up consistently are not a surprise. These people are chosen for a tv show, granted a bogus one. No one is going to select an employee to be on camera that doesn't do a good job. And no one is going to be on camera and complain all the time. This is a major flaw, IMO. We're not seeing, and the CEO is not seeing, the average employee.

OK, so these people are outstanding in one way or another. I'm glad they get something good out of it.

As for the bungling CEOs. Let's face it. The skills required to run a company aren't quite the same as those required for working an assembly line or behind a counter.

I really like the show. Favorite moment: When the CEO had to clean up the poop in the pool. Hey, somebody's gotta clean it up.
Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 11:58 am
@Roberta,
I agree - I've watched this show - I liked it at first, but week after week it is the same thing. Some outstanding employee dedicated to his/her crappy job and has some major personal issue - kid sick/single parent/sick themself.

Not that these aren't real people - just that they must be strategically choosing the employees.

Only once did I see a bad employee - it was one of the first shows -
Roberta

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 04:00 pm
@Linkat,
I remember that one, Linkat. She got retrained, and then she got fired. I dont think I need to see the fireables. But what about the average? It won't happen.
Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 04:06 pm
@Roberta,
I figured that is why they stopped showing the "bad" employee - people didn't like it as much. Also, they want to show a good face for the company on the show. In general I like it - it just feels too "staged" - like they select not only the top employees (I mean they gotta know if they do performance reviews) - but they also choose employees that have had huge personal hurdles they overcame or are working through.

After watching several - it almost seems disingenuous.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 09:28 pm
Awwww man. Undercover Boss busted and now Cash Cab?

http://www.tv.com/cash-cab-confidential-a-former-contestant-tells-all/story/24745.html?tag=news_list;title;0
0 Replies