What is it with children growing up with Brita?

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 08:35 pm
So I'm watching this Brita commercial where they ask children what they think is in their tap water. The answers were octopi, starfish and mermaids. No mention of mercury or PCBs. Then the fine folks at Brita go on to mention that their filter rids tap water of all sorts of things, including mermaids. Just what are our children learning these days?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,475 • Replies: 17
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 08:38 pm
They learn, and correctly I might add, that if they use that filter they won't find any mermaids in their drinking water. A disgusting possibility, now that you mention it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:35 pm
Oh sure, tell that to the last mermaid that got through. She's hogging the bathtub and using my razors.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 01:01 am
Well, Brita would never send such an adverd here in Germany (you know that it's a German firm?), since they are engaged already quite a lot at courts: the water running out of Brita is worse than normal tap-water when you don't follow the instructions very carefully - and still is dangerous for use with babies after a few days (too many germs in the filter).
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 01:35 am
Never heard of Brita!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 01:57 am
Found a mermaid once, she was my girlfriend (ala Splash) till me mate stuck her on the barbie. "One man's meat is another man's poisson". Couldn't argue with that.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 02:10 am
Ha ha ha, LOL - poisson!

Have you noiced how insanely happy pringles makes people?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 02:27 am
Thanks C-li.

Err, no.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 04:23 am
I never drink water - mermaids f... in it....

Or - is that mer-people?

Either way, it is a shock to tender sensibilities.

As is the stuff about filters. How a germ could survive the chlorine in MY filter, I do not know....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 06:20 am
Aw! If I knew that I could start collecting mermaids from my taps, I would have implored people NOT to use Brita filters!! Sad I could have started a dancing troupe by now.

Laughing I truly grieve the loss of your mer-friend, Mr. S; did you try to fight against such an atrocity!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 07:13 am
Walter, very interesting. does Brita not use a charcoal granular filter/ or are there cracks in the medium so that water seeps through.
over here, most of these trhings are sold as final filters and the water going through is already chlorinated 9and then its de chlorinated) So if someone leaves the filter goinfg for longer than its rated, bacteria builds on the charcoal and then starts to pass off into the glass of water. Most of the fear they put into their commercials is BS because every water company has to provide a consumer confidence report showing the chemical tests performed on the final product.

however, many of us have wells and i use a very complex system of getting out the acidity and then we have 2 really big charcoal filters for taste and final cleanup being done by a micro filter.

first I heard that Brita has been in court cases.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:19 am
Quote:
Oh sure, tell that to the last mermaid that got through. She's hogging the bathtub and using my razors.

That's not a mermaid, cav, it's my cousin Jed. He's tried this little scam before. Just tell him there's a case of Bohemian in the front yard and shut the door behind him.

Really, he's harmless, but all the scales in the couch cushions are a real nuisance.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:23 am
Dang, so those WERE man boobs....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:54 am
And don't go poking around in the cloaca unless you're prepared for a real shock...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 02:37 pm
I just KNEW cloacas were gonna get into this act!

Mer-folk do NOT have 'em - they just have their doings hidden behind scales - they sort of part at the crucial moments...

Sheeesh!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 03:10 pm
I held a cloaca to my ear once and heard the ocean....or was it the wind?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 03:17 pm
farmerman wrote:

first I heard that Brita has been in court cases.

There have been at several civil trials, against hygienic institutes (some professors seem doing such since years) consumer agencies and water suppliers.

General opininion of consumer agencies and hygienic institutes is that our normal tab water is as good before running through the Brita as afterwards ... with the only restriction that it isn't so chalky (if) anymore.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 08:59 am
Quote:
Mer-folk do NOT have 'em - they just have their doings hidden behind scales - they sort of part at the crucial moments...

Man, I had something to add here, but husker's entreaty toward class and civility got to me. aw, well.
0 Replies