What TV shows do Teens like?

snood

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 08:59 am
Hey, I could use some help from any A2Kers who have teenaged kids, or who know a lot of teens. I'm doing some research on the effects of TV watching on adolescents. Can you tell me what shows they say are the most popular - the ones they watch the most? I work with a lot of teens, but I'm thinking their answers might be a little skewed because of the region they live in.

Any help would be most appreciated (and if you could, please mention what part of the country you're in).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 11,299 • Replies: 16
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 05:51 pm
@snood,
I did a lil Googling. Not exactly what you're looking for, but here are some ideas:
http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/special-report-what-do-teens-want/
http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/reports/nielsen_howteensusemedia_june09.pdf (according to this report, page 2, the top show for teens in 2008 was American Idol) - that report is cited all over the web
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=440744&page=417 (don't know how accurate this is but for 2006 it claims top teen-watched shows are One Tree Hill, Degrassi and MTV reality shows like Laguna Beach. They also allegedly watch lots of adult-oriented shows like Grey's Anatomy, Law & Order, Desperate Housewives and Lost.

Hope these give you enough breadcrumbs.
Ceili

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 06:33 pm
If my kids are any indication of the truth, firstly I hang my head in shame... They watch MTV or MuchMusic (the Canadian version of MTV) and with it comes that stupid show about the guidos in New Jersey. I can't recall the name, but it's stupid. Hope this helps. Wink
0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 07:56 pm
@snood,
The only programme my 15yo daughter would never miss is Grey's Anatomy but she also likes House, The Good Wife, Masterchef, Dr Who, Gossip Girls, and strangely enough Friends
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 05:06 pm
boosting the thread
Eva

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 05:48 pm
Mythbusters, Comedy Central (anything), Colbert Report, Daily Show, Dr. Who...

I have a 16 yr. old boy.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 05:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

boosting the thread

Thanks, Edgar. And thanks to you guys that tried to help - I think between you guys, my interviews with the junior high peeps and asking people about their kids' habits, I have what I need.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 07:21 am
Lots of my friends watched Orange County in their late teens. I know at least one teen who is a compulsive Grey's Anatomy watcher.

And all of them watch Friends.
0 Replies

Kimaya

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 02:07 am
@snood,
Music and entertainment is most watch by teens.
But adults show also attracts teenagers , its the eagerness in them to know about such things.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 12:37 pm
@snood,
I don't think my daughter is a typical teen - but then she is a young teen - she is 13 and mostly watches shows on Nick and Disney.
0 Replies

hen5522

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 12:49 am
@snood,
Flashpoint is the best show i liked very much..
0 Replies

JaneAlex

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 03:54 pm
@jespah,
they are getting back into Friends I hear
0 Replies

custondesign

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 01:24 am
I think teens like the ture blood show....
0 Replies

Teenwithanopinion

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 12:32 am
I would say regional probably isn't as important as age. Most teens I know like American dad, family guy, South Park, walking dead, breaking bad, and spongebob. However they may like to watch children shows that they liked a lot as kids or shows they weren't aloud to see as kids. I hear tosh.0 is another popular one. But if you asked what I like, I would add Ben 10, avatar, and Pokemon.
0 Replies

danicakes

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 05:28 pm
@snood,
well i'm a tween and I know me and my friends like to watch tv that has mystery like pretty little liars and things like switched at birth or the vampire diaries
0 Replies

zengatv

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 01:54 am
Teens like Comedy Central TV show
0 Replies

LashelldMyers

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 05:07 pm
Hello world
0 Replies