Chumly

Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:31 am
Yippee! I've received my Vapor Daddy and I have some nice BC Bud. A vastly more thoughtful approach than the crudeness of alcohol.
Quote:
Facts on Cannabis and Alcohol

Marijuana is far less toxic and less addictive than alcohol.

Long-term marijuana use is far less damaging than long-term alcohol use.

Alcohol use contributes to aggressive behavior and acts of violence, whereas marijuana use reduces the likelihood of violent behavior.

Alcohol use is highly associated with violent crime, whereas marijuana use is not.

Alcohol use contributes to the likelihood of domestic violence and sexual assault and marijuana use does not.

Alcohol use is prevalent in cases of sexual assault and date rape, whereas marijuana use is not considered a contributing factor in cases of sexual assault and date rape.

Alcohol use contributes to reckless behavior and serious injuries, and it is highly associated with emergency room visits, whereas marijuana use does not contribute to such behavior and injuries, and is seldomly associated with emergency room visits.
http://www.saferchoice.org/content/view/24/53/

MonaLeeza

Sat 27 Nov, 2010 03:52 pm
@Chumly,
I really don't care if you use marijuana or not but justifying it by comparing it's effects to alcohol doesn't make sense. It's like saying I'm going to hit my brain with this stick and that's ok because at least I'm not using a sledgehammer.
I don't know what research has been done into the long term effects of smoking dope but I have enough friends who blame their kids' serious mental health issues on regular dope habits that I'd be very cautious.
chai2

Sat 27 Nov, 2010 03:54 pm
That grass will make the white leather sofa easier to take.
Mame

Sat 27 Nov, 2010 05:06 pm
Willie Nelson just got arrested for having 6 oz of pot in his possession.

Are you so defensive about using pot that you have to post that "justification"? Or is it just the company you're keeping here?

One of my BIL is totally addicted to pot and smokes it the minute he wakes up to the moment he goes to bed. I just saw that again at my wedding because he and my sister stayed with us. If he doesn't have his pot - look out!

I'm not for or agin pot, just don't minimize the 'dangers'. I would put him in the 'danger' category.
0 Replies

Chumly

Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:30 pm
I would put moderate pot smoking somewhere near higher end caffeine usage as overall to health risks.
0 Replies

Chumly

Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:31 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
That grass will make the white leather sofa easier to take.
Well they do say the grass is always greener on other side (of the couch).
0 Replies

Chumly

Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:34 pm
@MonaLeeza,
Your claim of justification is hardly more that the logical falicy of the straw man.
roger

Sat 27 Nov, 2010 09:59 pm
@Chumly,
I don't quite get what you are saying here. There is probably a reasonable explanation for that.
Mame

Sat 27 Nov, 2010 10:40 pm
@roger,
Probably you didn't recognize 'falicy' - he meant fallacy.
roger

Sun 28 Nov, 2010 01:06 am
@Mame,
It wasn't that. My own spelling is sufficiently creative that I passed right over it. I just didn't understand what was written.
Chumly

Sun 28 Nov, 2010 09:52 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
It wasn't that. My own spelling is sufficiently creative that I passed right over it. I just didn't understand what was written.
It's a point of comparison, hardly a so-called "justification" let alone the absurd presumption of a justification requisite. As such my text as per a more thoughtful approach than alcohol is by no means "justifying it by comparing it's effects to alcohol".

In fact ML's entire post is one small step away from pure specious drivel, inclusive of the logical fallacy known as argumentum ad populum as per "I have enough friends who blame their kids' serious mental health issues on regular dope habits that I'd be very cautious".
Ionus

Sun 28 Nov, 2010 10:10 pm
@Chumly,
Quote:
Marijuana is far less toxic and less addictive than alcohol.
Rubbish. Toxins are fewer in alcoholic drinks. Addiction is dependant on the person and the effect it has on their lives.

Quote:
Long-term marijuana use is far less damaging than long-term alcohol use.
Rubbish. It depends on the amount, the periodicity and the term length but the damage is comparable with everything else equal.

Quote:
Alcohol use contributes to aggressive behavior and acts of violence, whereas marijuana use reduces the likelihood of violent behavior.
Rubbish. Poverty is an indicator of violence. Alcohol is probably used by more poor people.

Quote:
Alcohol use is highly associated with violent crime, whereas marijuana use is not.
Rubbish. Go tell the Mexicans.

Quote:
Alcohol use contributes to the likelihood of domestic violence and sexual assault and marijuana use does not.
Rubbish. The number one cause of marital stress is financial problems. These are more likely to occur if you spend money on the dearer option of MaryJ.

Quote:
Alcohol use is prevalent in cases of sexual assault and date rape, whereas marijuana use is not considered a contributing factor in cases of sexual assault and date rape.
Rubbish. The rapist is more likely to be sober than not, no matter what his choice of drug. Under alcoholic influence, the victim is more likely to be raped than whilst under the influence of MaryJ. This may be because the MaryJ victim remembers agreeing to it whereas the alcohol affected one doesnt.

Quote:
Alcohol use contributes to reckless behavior and serious injuries, and it is highly associated with emergency room visits, whereas marijuana use does not contribute to such behavior and injuries, and is seldomly associated with emergency room visits.
Rubbish. Many drug overdoses where multiple drug use is noted has MaryJ and alcohol present . Dont they take drug war casualties to emergency rooms ? Who treats all those bullet wounds ? MaryJ ?

If you want to be a druggie, go ahead but dont tell everyone what a great idea it is. It isnt. And dont quote drug induced hallucinations by fellow druggies as a reference.
0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 12:01 am
@Chumly,
I think I made it perfectly clear that I didn't have any facts on hand , that I wasn't criticising anyone else for the choices they make and that I was simply stating my own personal concern as an aside....'specious drivel' or otherwise. The main point of my post was that comparing cannabis use to alcohol use is meaningless as a jusitifcation - and yes the original post did read as a justification whether it was intended as such or not.
Chumly

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 12:38 pm
@MonaLeeza,
Your presumption of a requisite for so-called "justification" is absurd, let alone it being another straw man.

As to your inability to abide by the simpler forms of argumentation, alas that puts you down for the count.
chai2

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 12:40 pm
@Chumly,
dude, mellow out.
roger

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 12:46 pm
@chai2,
Sounds to me like he's been smoking a little something.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 12:49 pm
Probably the opposite.

My take on this is the the OP was perfectly correct. I have a lot of experience with both Pot and Alcohol and the only comparison you can make between the two is:

1, pot hits you harder and quicker than alcohol, so if you aren't ready for it, you can get fucked up quick. BUT,

2, you're much more likely to just watch a movie and eat some chips than you are to do bad things, like alcohol tends to get people to do.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

chai2

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 01:12 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Sounds to me like he's been smoking a little something.

yeah, like he's getting all paranoid or something.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 02:51 pm
@Chumly,
**** all the haters, man. How is the vape working for ya? I've never been able to fully get behind them.

Cycloptichorn
chai2

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 03:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
What haters?

You just don't know how to take good natured horsing around, do you?

Chumley can smoke his brains out, he's a grown man.