Athiests prejudice against theistic beliefs

Render

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 08:55 pm
Some Atheists blame religion for everything, but religion is simply a belief system that typically revolve around 'gods'. Get rid of the religious belief systems (as the athiests keep encouraging) and it will be replaced by other belief systems that don't revolve around a god. The religious violence and abuse would return, it would just be stemmed from the form of hate crimes and the like.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 9,485 • Replies: 165

BillW

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 09:05 pm
@Render,
Athiests prejudice against theistic beliefs

This statement is only topped by the theistic believers prejudice against athiests.

Some religionists blame athiests for everything, but athiesism is simply a belief system that typically revolve around the absence of 'gods'. Of course, this argument could go both ways so I'll stop developing it now cause it is finger pointing and silly!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 09:19 pm
@Render,
Quote:
Some Atheists blame religion for everything

True. And some blame it for lots of things, and others for a few things, and the rest don't care.

Quote:
but religion is simply a belief system that typically revolve around 'gods'. Get rid of the religious belief systems (as the athiests keep encouraging) and it will be replaced by other belief systems that don't revolve around a god.

Well it's unlikely we'll ever know, but if it did at least it would be a belief system open to challenge and debate, and, god forbid, testing and review.

Quote:
The religious violence and abuse would return, it would just be stemmed from the form of hate crimes and the like.

Well it wouldn't be religious violence for a start. I'm an atheist who doesn't blame religion for all ills but I look at your last statement like this. We already have hate crimes, and a bunch of other triggers for violence, including religion. Why not get rid of one of those triggers? Your logic is that there is no point to removing any point of conflict because it will just be replaced by another. You may be right, but if so what purpose does religion serve if nothing changes when we get rid of it?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 12:16 am
@Render,
I think that you are wrong. People critical of religion understand exactly what you are using to defend it, but they also see that the real problem is that once religious followers get it into their heads that their gods will sanction any of their behavior in defense of same god, all sorts of nasty **** commences.

What you and your fellow religionists see as acts of faith those outside your circle of believers perceive as fanaticism and beyond rational explanation.

That is the burden one carries when professing a belief beyond rational explanation; when people laugh and point and say that you have no proof for your belief, you just have to suck it up and have faith in what is in your heart.
Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 03:57 am
As an atheist, i get all pissed off whenever the price of gasoline goes up. Obviously, those religious clowns are behind it.
failures art

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 07:43 am
@Render,
Equivocation maximum.

You believe all beliefs to be equal despite what they are based on? You think the product to be no different?

A
R
T
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 07:59 am
I have a major problem (and I think it really is my problem) with people who won't lie or do wrong - in fear of a god.

Just don't do wrong for the sake of being a good human - why does fear have to motivate you?

Too bad the fear actually works.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 09:23 am
@Render,
Render wrote:
The religious violence and abuse would return, it would just be stemmed from the form of hate crimes and the like.

That's easy to say, but you have no evidence to back it up. To the contrary, I think you'll find that statistically, non-religious people and cultures are far more peaceful lives than their religious counterparts.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 09:56 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

As an atheist, i get all pissed off whenever the price of gasoline goes up. Obviously, those religious clowns are behind it.
well yeah, that and woman's suffrage.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 11:14 am
@kuvasz,
Quote:
once religious followers get it into their heads that their gods will sanction any of their behavior in defense of same god, all sorts of nasty **** commences.

Nicely done! Christianity also tells its followers that they can do anything they want in life if they accept Jesus on their death bed, but anyone who led a pure (or nearly pure) life, helped the poor, did charity work, etc - is going to hell. What a bunch of hooey!
Render

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 11:28 am
@kuvasz,
Well what is god, a deeply established psychological concept that proves good at controlling people and getting followers to do almost anything.
I have to disagree and say that these kind of persuasions don't require a god, people can live their lives around evil motives and be brainwashed to propaganda, I'd call it fundamentally the same as religion.
BillW

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 11:36 am
@Render,
But they don't have an organized religion that abets their actions. Manis basically evil and greedier cause it is easier! That is why conservatives thrive in times like this.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 12:43 pm
@Render,
Atheism can be VERY emotion-based.

I 've known a near hysterically militant atheist.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 12:46 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:
But they don't have an organized religion that abets their actions. Manis basically evil and
greedier cause it is easier! That is why conservatives thrive in times like this.
GREED IS GOOD!!!!!

The problem with GREED is that there is NOT ENUF of it.

David
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 12:59 pm
'nough said, point proven!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 01:03 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:
'nough said, point proven!
Let the record indicate that I do not attend Church.
BillW

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 01:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
me:That is why conservatives thrive in times like this.

u:GREED IS GOOD!!!!!

u:The problem with GREED is that there is NOT ENUF of it.

me:'nough said, point proven!

u:Let the record indicate that I do not attend Church.

me:notin' 'bout church there.......

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 01:16 pm

OK; I 'll stand by what I said, and re-iterate it.

David
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 01:21 pm
That's already a given...............
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 01:56 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:
That's already a given...............
I accept your given, in the Spirit of Christmas.

David