Athiests prejudice against theistic beliefs

BillW

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 02:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
and, I accept your answer in the spirit of Winter Soltice - the reason for the season!
kuvasz

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 02:14 pm
@Render,
Quote:
Well what is god, a deeply established psychological concept that proves good at controlling people and getting followers to do almost anything.

btw in relation to this twaddle

Quote:
I have to disagree and say that these kind of persuasions don't require a god, people can live their lives around evil motives and be brainwashed to propaganda, I'd call it fundamentally the same as religion.

btw just to what "it" do you refer? The issue of faith or the behavior that faith motivates; they are not the same. I don't believe that you have shown a cogent understanding of the purposes of religion and without doing so you can not compare it to anything.

I would like to point out that the discussion was about religion, not fanatics in general. The remark quoted above is a non sequiter to the discussion.
Render

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 05:47 pm
@kuvasz,
If you wish to question my knowledge of the purposes of religion then consider this discussion over.
Wilso

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 06:24 pm
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:

I have a major problem (and I think it really is my problem) with people who won't lie or do wrong - in fear of a god.

Just don't do wrong for the sake of being a good human - why does fear have to motivate you?

Too bad the fear actually works.

Excellent summation of religion. And it's damned scary isn't it? To me, people who say that their morals are derived from their religion, are saying that the only reason they don't lie, cheat, steal, rape, kill etc, is because of their faith, and in it's absence, they would feel free to do so. It's pathetic.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 06:39 pm
The purpose of religion? That is the easiest of all questions to answer.
It's a defence mechanism to protect humans from their death anxiety. Because we're self aware, we're also aware of our inevitable and unavoidable mortality. It's a crutch

Basically, theists are terrified of facing the fact that there is no god, no heaven, no soul, and that we're just a collection of chemical reactions and electrical signals. When they stop, we stop. Pathetic, frightened little minds, unable to come to terms with their ultimate meaninglessness in the universe.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 06:47 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:
and, I accept your answer in the spirit of Winter Soltice - the reason for the season!
Merry "Soltice" to u.

David
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 07:38 pm
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs909.snc4/72266_1362776244482_1683876678_707140_4853232_n.jpg
0 Replies

Render

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 07:56 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

The purpose of religion? That is the easiest of all questions to answer.
It's a defence mechanism to protect humans from their death anxiety. Because we're self aware, we're also aware of our inevitable and unavoidable mortality. It's a crutch

Basically, theists are terrified of facing the fact that there is no god, no heaven, no soul, and that we're just a collection of chemical reactions and electrical signals. When they stop, we stop. Pathetic, frightened little minds, unable to come to terms with their ultimate meaninglessness in the universe.

If we were just chemical reactions, people would have no free will, unless of course you believe in something like a soul.
Wilso

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:17 pm
@Render,
Render wrote:

If we were just chemical reactions, people would have no free will, unless of course you believe in something like a soul.

Bullshit. You're just trying to justify your belief by pulling crap out of the air. You're exactly what I referred to. A pathetic frightened little child. So scared of being all alone in the universe that you've invented a big cuddly protector, and an afterlife to go to. Well, you ain't going anywhere pal. The minute that last brain cell dies, you're gone. Fallen into the eternal void, and rot away to dust.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:19 pm
the whole point is, you've got a choice. You can waste your life on your knees, desperately hoping that the fairy is there, or you can absorb every moment of your life, because as we atheists know, you're only gonna get one.
north

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:37 pm

and mostly religion devides Humanity into this or that religious group who all think that they are closer to god than any other religious group

who will in the end take another Humans life in defence of their groups position

I will never like , approve or support a theist

0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:43 pm
@Render,
Quote:
If you wish to question my knowledge of the purposes of religion then consider this discussion over.

I don't question it; I don't believe that you know what you are talking about.

You haven't articulated anything but fuzzy thinking and highly disputable declarative sentences masked as fact. Sorry if my opinion offends you.

I have articulated my hypothesis on why athiests hold preduice against religionists, and your response was as sorry as a 20 year old shoe that showed me that you seem utterly incapable of recognizing that athiests in general are completely capable of separating the act of faith with actions taking in alleged defense of that faith.

Athiests don't care about the type of god you worship, they don't care about how you bless yourself, or how you cover your head. The issue is not about religion, but what a person does in pursuit of practicing it and how it affects others.

You seem obtuse to the proposition that athiests are only prejudiced against what religionist do, not believe in.

0 Replies

Render

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:44 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

the whole point is, you've got a choice. You can waste your life on your knees, desperately hoping that the fairy is there, or you can absorb every moment of your life, because as we atheists know, you're only gonna get one.

Your lack of capacity of critical thought has made you into a different type of person. You seem to be fine living through life like an animal. I'm not saying it's good or bad, i guess it's just the type of person you are.
kuvasz

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:52 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso, let me paraphrase/condense your idea on the purpose of religion:

"A Nightlight against the Big Sleep."
0 Replies

north

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:52 pm
@Render,
Render wrote:

Wilso wrote:

Your lack of capacity of critical thought has made you into a different type of person. You seem to be fine living through life like an animal. I'm not saying it's good or bad, i guess it's just the type of person you are.

well it can't be bad to be an animal Render since you are one as well

whether you believe in god or not does not change this fact
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:58 pm
@Render,
Render wrote:

Wilso wrote:

And then when someone doesn't agree with you, you delve into the bottomless pit of arrogance that theists possess. That's the final destination of the theist journey, when all other arguments have failed, that your faith somehow makes you ethically, morally, or spiritually superior. I'm an animal because I don't believe. And you're a lowlife piece of sh!t. Eventually, faced with the correct circumstances, you would go so far as kill to preserve your faith. You're are the absolute perfect example of everything I despise about religion you pathetic ****. And while I will never allow my children into a church, to be indoctrinated by narrow minded losers like you.
Render

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 08:59 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

Render wrote:

Wilso wrote:

And then when someone doesn't agree with you, you delve into the bottomless pit of arrogance that theists possess. That's the final destination of the theist journey, when all other arguments have failed, that your faith somehow makes you ethically, morally, or spiritually superior. I'm an animal because I don't believe. And you're a lowlife piece of sh!t. Eventually, faced with the correct circumstances, you would go so far as kill to preserve your faith. You're are the absolute perfect example of everything I despise about religion you pathetic ****. And while I will never allow my children into a church, to be indoctrinated by narrow minded losers like you.

Narrow-minded losers like me, well I my friend, am an atheist.
Wilso

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 09:11 pm
@Render,
Render wrote:

Wilso wrote:

Render wrote:

Wilso wrote:

Narrow-minded losers like me, well I my friend, am an atheist.

I actually doubt that you're telling the truth about that.

This is why I stayed away from this site for the last six months in the first place. My life has got far too many good things in it, to deal with the likes of you. I earn more money than you'll ever see. My wife is beautiful, my children are gorgeous, my friends are loyal, and I was so happy without A2k in my life. Why the **** do I sentence myself to deal with fuckwits who's primary social outlet is the anonymity of the web? ta ta.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 09:34 pm
This joker has got to be the most judgmental creep to have crawled out from under a cyber rock in a long time.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 12:12 am
People who fear death and fabricate some sort of emotional security blanket aren't the problem. The people who use that fabrication as justification for their inhumanity to fellow humans are.

I tend to agree that if it weren't religion, it'd just be something else, like nationalism, racism or whatnot. Seems that the roots of the problem are greed, fear and anger, rather than irrational beliefs in a cosmic Santa.