Athiests prejudice against theistic beliefs

wayne

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 04:04 am
@Setanta,
I think I understand what you are saying, I read a certain humility in that. It sounds like you mean to be a man as a lion is a lion, protecting family and society because thats what a successful man does, not out of guilt or fear, but in true humility.
If I'm reading you right, that makes a lot of sense to live that way. The god question becomes a bit silly from that perspective then.
I must agree that is a proportionate view.
Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 04:24 am
@wayne,
Your remarks are very kind. My attitude is that we cannot be other than what we are, and that the best use of our energies is to be what we are as well as we are able. By and large, mammals take care of their young and of one another, so it seems only a matter of course to do so oneself.
wayne

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 05:00 am
@Setanta,
Ive a great deal of respect for your attitude. Tis a pity that religion has done so much to denegrate the value of such a life. I would hope to contribute to a future in which the simple humility of being a man among men is given the priority it deserves.
I have a brother whom has been christian for his entire adult life. He has become increasingly self rightious and judgmental over the years, to the point at which I no longer wish to have contact with him. When our relationship reached that point and, I informed him of this, his response was that was just fine with him, thats the difference between he and I, its not fine with me.
I try to have faith in a god, not a religious god. Or maybe I just like to hope that I will have a chance to see how it all works someday. I kinda like the idea of talking bass fishing with the guy who thought em up Smile Anyway, I never felt the need to force it on anyone else, that seems a bit weak to me.
Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 06:05 am
@wayne,
I am sorry to hear about your brother--i cannot understand how people become so intransigent like that, given that other religious people are genuinely humble and tolerant. Perhaps people like that are insecure underneath it all, and that is why they attempt to force others to think as they do.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 10:14 pm
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs909.snc4/72266_1362776244482_1683876678_707140_4853232_n.jpg
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 10:16 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

I think I understand what you are saying, I read a certain humility in that. It sounds like you mean to be a man as a lion is a lion, protecting family and society because thats what a successful man does, not out of guilt or fear, but in true humility.

Amen!
0 Replies