Athiests prejudice against theistic beliefs

Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:02 am
@IRFRANK,
Quote:
where is the outrage by the 'good' religious leaders?
Looking after themselves.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 04:27 am
@Eorl,
Hehehe . . . that may well be.

So, essentially, you're not saying that deism precludes monotheism, just that it doesn't axiomatically require it. Cool.

Here, have a banana . . .
Eorl

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 06:51 am
@Setanta,
You say banana, I say Atheist's Nightmare!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4yBvvGi_2A
Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 06:58 am
@Eorl,
Quote:
You say banana, I say Atheist's Nightmare!
A banana is an Atheists nightmare ? I thought they believed in evolution everyone of them ? Surely they havent evolved this far to turn their backs on bananas ?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 07:03 am
@Setanta,
...oh, and I'm probably saying deism precludes monotheism if you define monotheism not as a possible subset of polytheism, but as an exclusive single deity proposition.
Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 07:05 am
@Eorl,
I can't go along with that. Give me my banana back.
Eorl

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 07:20 am
@Setanta,
Neither can I, since I've now declared deists to be polytheists by definition, and I doubt I'll get away with it.

It all comes from mixing logic and religion, but just like my drinks, I keep on doing it without expecting a headache.
Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 07:23 am
@Eorl,
Quote:
It all comes from mixing logic and religion, but just like my drinks, I keep on doing it without expecting a headache.
Dont flatter yourself...there is no logic in you lumping all religions together anymore than there is in lumping all non-believers into an Atheist camp.
Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 07:30 am
@Eorl,
I still want my banana.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 08:35 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
Dont flatter yourself...there is no logic in you lumping all religions together anymore than there is in lumping all non-believers into an Atheist camp.

I guess what it is true is that believers and non believers both believe in their beliefs since not certain in their "knowing"...case to say that each have their own believed "GOD" (Truth)...
BillW

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 10:06 am
@Pemerson,

Quote:
I don't have any idea of what God actually is, or isn't, and don't feel it necessary to discuss this word (it is only a word!) But I feel pretty close when I see or hear something that is exquisitely perfect.

That is a plank of Deism.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 10:10 am
@Eorl,
Quote:
...oh, and I'm probably saying deism precludes monotheism if you define monotheism not as a possible subset of polytheism, but as an exclusive single deity proposition.

If you have to contemplate it, then you're not a Deist! Who cares if it is one or many, it just is.....
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 10:27 am
@Eorl,
Bullshit........

Tolerance for beliefs and allowing murder are far different.

Don't try to take political advantage of another's misfortune.
IRFRANK

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 10:35 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
My pragmatic approach would be for all the world leaders, say the leaders of the G20, initiate a statement demanding that Pakistan release this woman to some safe custody or suffer severe trade sanctions. Perhaps those who sell weapons to Pakistan can start. We should also focus on China with their human rights abuses, instead of joining with them economically.

Probably the only outlet is to march in the streets with Ghandi or MLK. This race of humans in it's ability to 'look the other way' has a disturbing trait.

In fact, it is tolerated.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 11:24 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

I have the notion that they believe there is a "Something" but don't presume to know what. So to limit the options to a single Something would conflict with that. (I think they use the word God for simplicity, but are ultimately open to anything under cross-examination).
Personally I think they are just atheists who are horrified at the idea of being atheism.

Deism - One god.
Pandeism - Possibly more than one god.

A
R
T
BillW

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:30 pm
@failures art,
My beliefs are far different form any set formula. If it is organized, I ain't there.

Of course, this is obvious.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 03:05 pm
@failures art,
Thanks! I was hoping you'd show up.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 06:35 pm
@failures art,
Pandaism - God is black and white and cute
Setanta