7
   

COMPUTER PROBLEM ?

 
 
Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 10:55 am

Intermittent severe pixelation; changing levels of severity.

Occasionally, the computer (in this condition) re-boots itself.

At other times, the picture is perfect and normal.

Any ideas ???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,022 • Replies: 43
No top replies

 
contrex
 
  0  
Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 12:02 pm
It's catching your craziness, I expect. Either that or the hardware is failing (I'd suspect the power supply or RAM)
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 01:01 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
It's catching your craziness, I expect. Either that or the hardware is failing (I'd suspect the power supply or RAM)

Thank u.





David
0 Replies
 
Ragman
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 01:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
It might be one of several possibilities mentioned prior ... including the power supply, or video card or video RAM. My advice is that it's time to bring into competent computer repair shop for an estimate.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 03:29 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

It might be one of several possibilities mentioned prior ... including the power supply, or video card or video RAM.
My advice is that it's time to bring into competent computer repair shop for an estimate.
Yeah; thank u, but it has some secret information qua legal clients of mine.
I 'm concerned about this information being disclosed.
I 'm supposed to keep it confidential.
roger
 
  2  
Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 05:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
If your passwords are too simple, make them much more complex. Be sure to record any password changes. If they think they need anything beyond your windows password, make them explain why.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 12:36 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
If your passwords are too simple, make them much more complex. Be sure to record any password changes. If they think they need anything beyond your windows password, make them explain why.
Can the repairman get beyond the password, by his skill ?
roger
 
  1  
Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 02:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Some of them, certainly. If they were motivated. I think most of the techs pretty much follow a routine procedure, and don't have the time or interest to go digging around.

Kind of like other privacy. We get more protection from the disinterest of others than the 4th amendment.
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  1  
Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 02:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Do you keep the information backed up?

Probably the best thing to do a back up onto another hard drive, get the info out of the puter and take the puter in for a check up.

(how old is the computer? do you have it tuned up regularly?)
roger
 
  1  
Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 02:45 pm
@ehBeth,
That's a much better solution.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 06:51 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Do you keep the information backed up?

Probably the best thing to do a back up onto another hard drive,
get the info out of the puter and take the puter in for a check up.

(how old is the computer? do you have it tuned up regularly?)
Its about 5 years old.
I did not know it coud be tuned up.





David
roger
 
  1  
Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 10:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, my three year old was crashing multiple times per day. The free tune-up at Staples totally cleared the problem.

I doubt this is a typical result, but there is something about the words 'free', and 'it works again' that are hard to resist.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 09:47 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
David, my three year old was crashing multiple times per day. The free tune-up at Staples totally cleared the problem.

I doubt this is a typical result, but there is something about the words 'free', and 'it works again' that are hard to resist.

THANK U FOR THAT INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I 'd not considered that, Roger.





David
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  1  
Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 09:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Its about 5 years old.
I did not know it coud be tuned up.


when did you last take it in (or have the geek squad in)?

you really need to do regular maintenance on a computer. five years old is verra old for a computer.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 10:01 am
@ehBeth,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Its about 5 years old.
I did not know it coud be tuned up.
ehBeth wrote:
when did you last take it in (or have the geek squad in)?
Only when it was being installed, after my last one failed.



ehBeth wrote:
you really need to do regular maintenance on a computer.
five years old is verra old for a computer.
I see. Thank u.
At the time, I got the best that was available.





David
Ragman
 
  2  
Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 11:39 am
@OmSigDAVID,
All computers need regular maintenance. Be aware that you could increase reliability as well as speed by having the fans cleaned 2x per year, and it saves the power supply from overheating and risking crashing of the hard drives, too.

Would you drive a car without changing the oil?

Also reg (data) maintenance removes a lot of data trash (cookies, pop-ups, tremp files, and registry errors). you can speed up an old computer by a significant amount by doing this type of effort.
ehBeth
 
  1  
Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 11:41 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

At the time, I got the best that was available.


the "best at the time" still needs maintenance

roger
 
  1  
Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 02:13 pm
For what it's worth, when I took it in, I was anticipating fairly expensive repairs. I told them I was not prepared to spend over 1/3 the cost of a replacement.
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 02:20 pm
@Ragman,
I should do that.

Fans, she says. What fans?

I'd erase cookies, but I fear for loss of some key websites, a2k being one. If you erase the whole batch, do the sites ask you to accept cookies the next time you try to access them? Years ago, I tried to handpick cookies to delete, but quickly bored of it.

If I could erase all but certain sites' cookies, I'd do it.. if cookies do make a difference. I haven't been sure that they do.
Ragman
 
  1  
Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 02:38 pm
@ossobuco,
The very next time you log into a site, you create cookies again. You already should have A2K as a favorite site so the cookies are semi-irrelevant. I believe that all you would need to do (after deleting cookies) is to put your password in again upon relogging itno a site. Not a big deal...unless your forgot your password etc.

All key websites you can create (or have already created) in favorites list. The only downside is you need to relog in the next time and tell it to remember your password etc.
 

Related Topics

Clone of Micosoft Office - Question by Advocate
Do You Turn Off Your Computer at Night? - Discussion by Phoenix32890
The "Death" of the Computer Mouse - Discussion by Phoenix32890
Windows 10... - Discussion by Region Philbis
Surface Pro 3: What do you think? - Question by neologist
Windows 8 tips thread - Discussion by Wilso
GOOGLE CHROME - Question by Setanta
.Net and Firefox... - Discussion by gungasnake
Hacking a computer and remote access - Discussion by trying2learn
 
  1. Forums
  2. » COMPUTER PROBLEM ?
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/19/2019 at 05:23:38