Why believe in god? The theist perspective.

glitterbag

Wed 24 Aug, 2022 04:46 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Some sort of special needs Jesus.

The **** up on the Mount.

Geeez Izzy, that's kind of inspired...neat.
izzythepush

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 12:45 am
@glitterbag,
Thank you.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 01:44 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

This is possibly because such people range from a 2-year Bible college to Master's in theology.

Not sure what you are talking about in this sentence.

Quote:
I'm also interested to know whether your perception of "sharp, awake, and interesting" includes "they tend to think like me." Some of the most interesting people I've met that I very definitely disagreed with, but had an engaging personality or strong reasons why they felt this way.

Some people I find interesting tend to have opinions different from me; some people I find boring tend to are more in align with my opinions than opposed.

Quote:
It's difficult to understand that other people's experiences can be different than yours, is it? So lemme break it down for you. Other people's experiences can be different than yours.

Where does this bullshit come from? It is no more difficult for me to understand that other people's experience is different from mine...than it is for you.

Quote:
This means that while you may have never found any proof one way or another, that's your own failing, not necessarily a reflection on absolute truth. It doesn't mean that I haven't "gotten it yet" either, it means that you haven't the ability to imagine that someone actually can perceive that there is (or isn't) a God.

I have no problem understanding that you blindly guess there is a god. Why do you question that I do?

Quote:
You are blindly guessing that other people blind guess about what they know.

No.

Quote:
Is 2+2 equalling 4 a blind guess? Is that magnets attract metal and repel each other a blind guess? Now, a skeptic could say that we don't truly know anything, and as someone who doubts established science in some areas, I'd sometimes agree. But, some things are able to be proved by experiences or testing. You can prove that two sets of two apples is roughly twice the amount (you can have some goofball talk about base 8 or 12 or whatever, and try to tell you it's not really four but for a typical math problem, yes, it is) . You can indeed show that magnets do their thing.
There are ways to know what you know.

Yes, some things can be proved.

Thank you once again for your blind guess that a god exists. You may, of course be correct. On the other hand, the people who blindly guess that there are no gods may be correct.

You seem to be saying that people can KNOW some things.

I agree...people can KNOW some things. 2 + 2 does always equal 4 in base 10.

The capital of France presently IS Paris. Sol, the star at the center of our system of planets, IS NOT the only star in our galaxy.

bulmabriefs144

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 07:55 am
@Frank Apisa,
So, depending on whether you are talking to a local small town cleric or the pope (notice lack of capitalization), ministers don't just decide one day that they believe in God and voila they are priests. They go to school for this. They get credentials. They learn how to chant Latin and Greek, they learn various other disciplines. My dad has an M Div, having studied about as much as you can. He can give sermons that talk about obscure words from Greek, and he also has a lesser degree (they usually want you to study two languages, plus have another discipline so you aren't all priest) in Marriage & Family Therapy.
bulmabriefs144

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 08:26 am
@Frank Apisa,
Sorry, my Kindle crapped out and wouldn't type more than that.

As I was saying, my dad has an M Div. Meanwhile, down the street, we have a Methodist or Baptist priest, who probably took two years of Bible college. They have just enough to perform weddings and funerals, but aside from doctrine, you'd probably find more in common with them than my dad. Just don't expect interesting conversations because they can't really debate theology.

So you find my ideas interesting?

Well it seems so, because you seem incapable of the idea that it's possible to know of God. Hence the term blindly guess.

To be fair to you, it is possible not to be able to know something. We can know the Sol is not the only star in our galaxy.
But we not be sure whether the geocentrists or the heliocentrists are right, because as far as I know, owning and using a spaceship around other people is largely banned. So basically only NASA (and equivalents) are likely to make a trip outside, get the right perspective (if you are within Earth's orbit, it would appear Earth is still), and if you don't trust their words, short of doing it yourself, it is difficult or impossible to verify. Also if you have the wrong perspective, you might be seeing an optical illusion (like the Earth orbiting the sun).

There are things that it is impossible to know because you are too close to them. But religion is not one of them. It is possible to know that there is an existence out there that humors our personal beliefs. A person watching the skies for UFOs 60 years will see lights in the sky. If there is any reality to what they believe, they will experience it. Fun fact, there is evidence of past lives. The Hindus are right. As a seeker, I have also found someone out there that showed me my path.

Frank Apisa

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 09:23 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

So, depending on whether you are talking to a local small town cleric or the pope (notice lack of capitalization), ministers don't just decide one day that they believe in God and voila they are priests. They go to school for this. They get credentials. They learn how to chant Latin and Greek, they learn various other disciplines. My dad has an M Div, having studied about as much as you can. He can give sermons that talk about obscure words from Greek, and he also has a lesser degree (they usually want you to study two languages, plus have another discipline so you aren't all priest) in Marriage & Family Therapy.

Do you ever get to the point?

EVER?
Frank Apisa

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 09:35 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

Sorry, my Kindle crapped out and wouldn't type more than that.

As I was saying, my dad has an M Div. Meanwhile, down the street, we have a Methodist or Baptist priest, who probably took two years of Bible college. They have just enough to perform weddings and funerals, but aside from doctrine, you'd probably find more in common with them than my dad. Just don't expect interesting conversations because they can't really debate theology.

So you find my ideas interesting?

Your ability to share your "ideas" is so poor, I mostly have no notion of what your "ideas" are. You wander all over the place...and almost never actually get to the point.

Quote:
Well it seems so, because you seem incapable of the idea that it's possible to know of God. Hence the term blindly guess.

This is an example of what I meant above. What the hell is it supposed to mean?

Quote:
To be fair to you, it is possible not to be able to know something. We can know the Sol is not the only star in our galaxy.
But we not be sure whether the geocentrists or the heliocentrists are right, because as far as I know, owning and using a spaceship around other people is largely banned. So basically only NASA (and equivalents) are likely to make a trip outside, get the right perspective (if you are within Earth's orbit, it would appear Earth is still), and if you don't trust their words, short of doing it yourself, it is difficult or impossible to verify. Also if you have the wrong perspective, you might be seeing an optical illusion (like the Earth orbiting the sun).

Jesus H. Christ!

Quote:
There are things that it is impossible to know because you are too close to them. But religion is not one of them. It is possible to know that there is an existence out there that humors our personal beliefs.

What were you trying to say here?

Quote:
A person watching the skies for UFOs 60 years will see lights in the sky.

A person watching the skies for floating porcupines for 2 minutes will see lights in the sky...if it is not cloudy.

What in the hell are you saying here?

Quote:
If there is any reality to what they believe, they will experience it.

If there is no reality to what they "believe" or blindly guess...they may well think they have experienced it.

And there is almost no way they can tell the difference.

Quote:
Fun fact, there is evidence of past lives. The Hindus are right. As a seeker, I have also found someone out there that showed me my path.

An example of which you just delivered.
coluber2001

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 10:21 am
What the hell is God?
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 10:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
What's the point of getting to the point?

:smirks:
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 10:36 am
@Frank Apisa,
What Bulma and I are saying is that there is Reality that you have either not experienced or rejected. We are not making a blind guess about God.
bulmabriefs144

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 11:03 am
@Frank Apisa,
So we had a gal on one of my dad's churches.

Her friend was probably clinically insane and doodled during his sermons. She would typically tell my dad "I don't understand" after my dad gave a sermon that was perfectly clear to everyone else with any sense.

My dad walked away with the impression that she damned well did understand, but didn't want to accept what was said to her.

You see, in religion, we sometimes tell stories about other people called midrash or parable. These stories have characters and events, and may be true or not, but they are designed to teach something through drawing connections.

I tell long stories, and you say you don't understand. Or is it that you don't want to make those connections?

Quote:
A person watching the skies for floating porcupines for 2 minutes will see lights in the sky...if it is not cloudy.

If there is no reality to what they "believe" or blindly guess...they may well think they have experienced it.

https://i2-prod.dailystar.co.uk/incoming/article21798717.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/1_ufo-2.jpg

Stars are stars. Most stars don't go in a straight line and fly around.

The point being that reality sometimes supports our beliefs.
Frank Apisa

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 11:27 am
@NealNealNeal,
NealNealNeal wrote:

What Bulma and I are saying is that there is Reality that you have either not experienced or rejected. We are not making a blind guess about God.

If you are asserting there is a god...you are merely asserting a blind guess.

I have not suggested more than that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 11:29 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

So we had a gal on one of my dad's churches.

Her friend was probably clinically insane and doodled during his sermons. She would typically tell my dad "I don't understand" after my dad gave a sermon that was perfectly clear to everyone else with any sense.

My dad walked away with the impression that she damned well did understand, but didn't want to accept what was said to her.

You see, in religion, we sometimes tell stories about other people called midrash or parable. These stories have characters and events, and may be true or not, but they are designed to teach something through drawing connections.

I tell long stories, and you say you don't understand. Or is it that you don't want to make those connections?

Quote:

https://i2-prod.dailystar.co.uk/incoming/article21798717.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/1_ufo-2.jpg

Stars are stars. Most stars don't go in a straight line and fly around.

The point being that reality sometimes supports our beliefs.

Your arguments are incoherent, Bulma.

coluber2001

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 12:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Nobody is explaining what God as if we all have the same idea.
NealNealNeal

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 01:11 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

In the context of my discussion with Frank a god is one who can create something out of nothing.
In the context of my discussion with Frank, God is the "I AM" Who has revealed Himself first through the Jewish people and more completely to all people when the Second Person of the Trinity came down to earth to die for our sins.
Frank Apisa

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 01:15 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

When I use the words "god" or "gods" in one of these discussions, I mean:

"The entity (or entities) responsible for the creation of what we humans call 'the physical universe'...IF THERE IS SUCH AN ENTITY."
Frank Apisa

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 01:18 pm
@NealNealNeal,
NealNealNeal wrote:

coluber2001 wrote:

In the context of my discussion with Frank a god is one who can create something out of nothing.
In the context of my discussion with Frank, God is the "I AM" Who has revealed Himself first through the Jewish people and more completely to all people when the Second Person of the Trinity came down to earth to die for our sins.

And I have no problem whatever with you blindly guessing that that GOD exists. You may be correct...that it exists.

It may exist...I may not exist. I do not know which it is.

And Neal, YOU DO NOT KNOW EITHER.

Unless you are saying that that GOD revealed itself to you...in which case, you must explain how you KNOW that you are not merely deluding yourself.
izzythepush

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 01:49 pm
@coluber2001,
Frank has his mantra, neal unthinkingly believes everything in the Bible and Bulma is a flat earther.

What sort of conversation were you expecting?
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 02:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Which is the same definition I have (aside from the last bit).

Question:
1. What does a physical universe need to operate?
(Energy exceeding entropy, lack of chaos, laws of physics)
2. What is the source of energy, order, and what brought about the laws of physics?
(At this point, atheists already cannot answer honestly, so I'll give them "A nonphysical source of energy, possibly from another universe")
3. Turtles all the way down. Where did that universe come from, how was it created without invoking the same laws of physics, and why is it not at a state of rising entropy?
(At this point, atheists cannot answer honestly, even with my gift. There are now not one but two universes that need physical laws, energy, and matter in logical state. I invoke a supernatural cause, since no natural cause can endlessly produce the energy needed to operate a universe, much less two. It is not sufficient that thus simply be a nonphysical source of energy, byt a being that bypasses and/or transcends these laws in order to create them)

In your second post, you seem tohave typoed and said "I may not exist." Should we all scream, "We don't believe in you, Mabh"?

Frank Apisa

Thu 25 Aug, 2022 03:13 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

Which is the same definition I have (aside from the last bit).

Question:
1. What does a physical universe need to operate?
(Energy exceeding entropy, lack of chaos, laws of physics)
2. What is the source of energy, order, and what brought about the laws of physics?
(At this point, atheists already cannot answer honestly, so I'll give them "A nonphysical source of energy, possibly from another universe")
3. Turtles all the way down. Where did that universe come from, how was it created without invoking the same laws of physics, and why is it not at a state of rising entropy?
(At this point, atheists cannot answer honestly, even with my gift. There are now not one but two universes that need physical laws, energy, and matter in logical state. I invoke a supernatural cause, since no natural cause can endlessly produce the energy needed to operate a universe, much less two. It is not sufficient that thus simply be a nonphysical source of energy, byt a being that bypasses and/or transcends these laws in order to create them)

In your second post, you seem tohave typoed and said "I may not exist." Should we all scream, "We don't believe in you, Mabh"?
[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LxiLUEgN6vQ[/youtube]

You are blindly guessing that "the universe" was created.

That may not be so. It may always have existed.

Yeah, that doesn't fit into your blind guess about a god...so you have to disparage or disregard it.

But you may be wrong. (Strange as that may be for you to suppose.)

My typo was obviously a type. The context shows it to be that.

If a thing exists...it is a part of nature. Almost by definition there can be nothing that is "supernatural"...although once again, your narrative requires such a thing. There can, of course, be things we humans do not understand...and may never be able to understand.