Black Friday- Do You Go Shopping on that Day?

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 07:16 pm
Well, Black Friday is almost upon us. For those who are unaware of this bit of American madness, it is the day after Thanksgiving, and the start of the holiday season.

The reason that it is called black Friday, is because traditionally the day that stores begin to turn a profit, and get out of the "red". There are crazy sales on that day, and crazier people, who park themselves in front of a favorite store in order to grab some bargains.

In my area, there is a couple who have camped out in front of a Best Buy store for a number of days, (I believe 9 days before Black Friday) awaiting the time when they can swoop up some bargains. They have friends and relatives that save their place. Best Buy gave them a free I Pad for their troubles.

Personally, I avoid the stores like the plague from the day after Thanksgiving to the day before Christmas. Any presents that I buy, I purchase online. Years ago, I went to K Mart at 5 am to get a watch that I wanted at half price. It was an interesting exercise, never to be repeated.

Are you a Black Friday shopper? How early would you get up in order to snap up a bargain?

sozobe

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 07:26 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I'm not, nope.

Some online stuff. Otherwise, I'm pretty crowd-averse.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 09:32 pm
I never had a lot of money, so I always shopped year round. If I saw something I thought someone would like, I bought it.

Through my 20s, I never went into a store during the month of December.

I hate the way that merchants have made this day into a must. When I first moved to New England, I was looking for shoes at one of the outlet stores. I overheard a woman go on and on about how her family went to NYC every Columbus Day to shop because Massachusetts stores were closed. I thought she was nuts.

There are many people who decry the fact that stores are open on holidays. They pity the clerks and they can not understand why anyone needs to shop on Veterans' Day or MLK Day. Can't a holiday be a holiday?

How many of you have pleasant memories of days without electricity? My family has two memories of separate days. The first was when my children were small. We had a woodstove in the basement and mirrored candle sconces in the dining room, which was above the stove. A floor vent allowed heat to rise into the room. I cooked dinner on the woodstove and we read out loud from Little House on the Prairie by candlelight.

Many years later, I had pizza dough ready to bake when the electricity went out. We ate cold cheese sandwiches and oranges and played Scrabble by candle light. A friend of my daughter's came over and joined us.

I raise this because many people have memories of a day without electricity that became fun. A Black Friday without shopping, but with reading aloud to each other, doing crafts and eating hot turkey sandwiches with gravy could be more fun and could better prepare us for the holidays than facing the mall.

A postscript: I hate malls and prefer independently owned shops to chain stores.
ossobuco

Tue 23 Nov, 2010 10:59 am
@plainoldme,
I've always shopped year round with an eye out for what the people I shopped for like; I've bought thrift-antique store items and terrific old books, and regular store things when they make sense for a particular person. Now the giving is exchanges of good wishes. You would never never ever find me black fridaying.

I was happy when stores started staying open on sundays and holidays. Re working, I used to work christmas at a hospital, an oddly nice day re camaraderie among the med staff and other workers, and the patients.

I'm big on independent stores too. I go to malls so rarely that when I do, I get a kick out of them.

No particularly jolly memories of the electricity being out.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Tue 23 Nov, 2010 11:03 am
Hell no!
No bargain can be that enticing for me to go shopping on Black Friday!
0 Replies

djjd62

Tue 23 Nov, 2010 11:34 am
which store will have this seasons trampling death, my guess is it will be a Walmart again
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Tue 23 Nov, 2010 03:26 pm
I prefer the internet on Black Friday. Some good deals are out there. I'm not shopping for gifts, just good deals on stuff I'd be buying anyway, but I waited for the holiday sales.

An example:

Quote:
Amazon.com

Books
Up to 50% off Black Friday deals in Books

Movies & TV
Up to 70% off thousands of titles

I just bought a pair of crocs for 57% off.
0 Replies

Ceili

Wed 24 Nov, 2010 01:16 pm
I've never done black friday and I don't do Boxing day either. Dec. 26 is the big sale day here.
plainoldme

Wed 24 Nov, 2010 09:56 pm
@Ceili,
My daughter and i came to Canada on Boxing Day about 16 years ago. I was afraid we wouldn't find a restaurant for dinner because everything was closed.
Ceili

Wed 24 Nov, 2010 10:39 pm
@plainoldme,
Not any more and at the rate we are going, most service businesses will be open on Christmas day. I'm not sure but I think most provinces allow sunday shopping too, they never used to.
djjd62

Thu 25 Nov, 2010 09:47 am
@Ceili,
i've done the odd boxing day, usually a book store (believe it or not they're not as busy as Best Buy or Walmart Razz ), and i get in early and get out
0 Replies

plainoldme

Thu 25 Nov, 2010 12:57 pm
@Ceili,
We did find a restaurant. A chain of some kind but I remember the food being fine. We were in Toronto so that I could go to the Modern Language Association convention and I brought my daughter along because she was 15. Otherwise, she would have had to stay with her father who wasn't nice to her.

We had a good time. It was very cold. We made certain to eat a Caesar salad and a bowl of chicken soup for lunch every day.

It is a shame that countries seem to think that stores need to be open as many hours as they are.

Restaurants and movie theatres are fine. We need relaxation and entertainment. Pharmacies should be open, too, because no one knows when they might need a prescription. The rest of the retail world, however, does not need to be open.

A holiday should be a holiday.
0 Replies

jespah

Fri 26 Nov, 2010 07:18 am
A little shopping music.
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 26 Nov, 2010 08:40 am
I'll confess, I am planning to go to one specific store today, for some needed christmas decorations.

Christmas is definately not my favorite holiday, and on my own, I would tend to ignore it.

However, since Wally has made huge strides forward with his depression and other issues, there's cause for celebration.

Last week, I bought a 7.5 foot prelite tree for inside the house, and 2 porch trees, prelit, at I think 4 feet each. All at half price.

Now, I realize I need some more outdoor stuff to fill in some bare areas.

I will have a full stomach, put my zen on, and sally forth. If I keep my head down and nose clean, it should be ok, and not take terribly long.

I'll report news from the front later.
sozobe

Fri 26 Nov, 2010 10:22 am
@chai2,
I wasn't planning to but I might, too.

I need fabric for curtains for sozlet's room, and it's 50% off at Jo-Ann.

My rule of thumb for sales that are less than 75% off or so is only if I'd pay full price... and I was planning on paying full price for this. (About 5 yards at maybe $20/ yard full price, that's probably worth it.)
CalamityJane

Fri 26 Nov, 2010 11:32 am
@sozobe,
Try IKEA too, sozobe. I had bought fabric at IKEA for Jane's curtains and I got
it on sale for $ 1.00/yard - I bought the entire roll they had and made pillows
too.
Ceili

Fri 26 Nov, 2010 12:16 pm
@Ceili,
Spoke too soon, apparently P.E.I is the last bastion of the sunday shopping ban, from Xmas to Victoria day. Just read this article this morning... once again, the goofy politician raises his ugly head.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/god-struck-down-sunday-shopping-advocate-pei-legislator-suggests/article1815091/
0 Replies

BillW

Fri 26 Nov, 2010 12:48 pm
Never
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 26 Nov, 2010 01:13 pm
@CalamityJane,
Oh I would love to try IKEA!

It's just so far. (I will be so happy if/when they finally open one in Columbus...)

Plus I'm not sure they have exactly what I'm looking for, a specific shade of cotton velvet.

(I ended up not going to JoAnn but I did do some other shopping, it was busy but not insane. I stayed away from malls tho.)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 26 Nov, 2010 01:13 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
Black Friday- Do You Go Shopping on that Day?
No (unless I need something)