Movember - Mustaches for Cancer

hingehead

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 09:17 pm
@ossobuco,
But it's not the money so much as the awareness it promotes about something that was off the radar, like ehbeth says.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 09:26 pm
@hingehead,
Unless you are a lady laying.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 09:38 pm
@hingehead,
Does it? Isn't it 1 in 9 women who get bc? my statistics aren't up to date. I am long time chary about pulsing for health and gathering money. I think a large amount of women are already aware and are being asked to promote pinkness. Pinkness?

Get us screening tests no matter the income. Get out information.

I am certainly for research and its funding. There are key places to direct that.
Ceili

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 09:38 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm a terrible speller. Yet another word to add to my oops list....
Today, a canadian study released promising research info, the findings were that hormones and radiation theory are far better for prostate survival rates than using hormones (the traditional method) alone. These studies don't happen without money or support. I gladly donate. I know that the cancer org. here, at least, does good work. I try not to be to skeptical...
Ceili

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 09:40 pm
@ossobuco,
While the whole pink thing has been overtaken by anyone looking to make a buck off of cancer, it's hard to put mustaches on everything.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 10:06 pm
@Ceili,
If I had any money to donate, I'd donate specific.
Say ms cynical.
hingehead

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 10:12 pm
@Ceili,
Certainly the pink thing is big with advertising/marketing agencies. The Gruen Transfer did a great segment on it a few weeks ago. Basically a bottled water company can give the charity one cent on every bottle sold (bugger all) and know that the consumer faced with a choice between 'pink' water and normal water will most likely go for pink. It has been hijacked by commercial interests - if you are keen to donate to breast cancer research and awareness certainly give direct to the charities.

You're right Ceili - they will find it tougher to hijack the moustaches - and all sponsorship money goes to the organisations directly involved.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 10:13 pm
@ossobuco,
That's a fair call osso.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 10:13 pm
@ossobuco,
I wasn't talking pink, I was talking mo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 10:14 pm
@Ceili,
Yeh, I was just ragging you. I follow bc and prostate news.

Grants go to universities and similar places. Much as I mutter, I don't know the best place to aim money so it isn't siphoned off.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 10:23 pm
@hingehead,
In the sense of promoting awareness and all that, I would like to be the first in my area to offer mustache rides for breast cancer awareness.

and free preliminary breast exams as well.

I'll remain prostrate...
0 Replies