rosborne979

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 03:29 pm
It's too expensive for most people right now, but it doesn't have to be that way for long...

When you push on the accelerator it takes energy from the batteries... when you release the accelerator it puts some of that energy back into the batteries (converts momentum into stored energy rather than heating brake pads).

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 05:30 pm
@rosborne979,
I want one! Smile
rosborne979

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 05:54 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

I want one! Smile

Me too. I would even settle for a $40k sedan of some type if they could make one.

But my main interest comes not from the shape or speed of the car but from wanting to "feel" what it's like to drive a car with a motor instead of an engine. I also like the idea that they are silent when not moving. I bet it's an extraordinary driving experience.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 06:16 pm
@rosborne979,
Yes, that is what I am thinking also.
And I do so appreciate a good driving experience. It's like meditation.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 06:22 pm
Equipment fetishism Cyr.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 06:32 pm
@spendius,
Not the equipment, the experience.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 10:56 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
I want one! Smile
Me too. I would even settle for a $40k sedan of some type if they could make one.
$40,000 car? Are you into throwing money away for the sheer fun of it? I don't think any car should cost that much to build.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 12:13 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
I want one! Smile
$40,000 car? Are you into throwing money away for the sheer fun of it? I don't think any car should cost that much to build.

I just picked $40k because I figured that's as cheap as they would get before I croak.
okie

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 01:41 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
I just picked $40k because I figured that's as cheap as they would get before I croak.
By coincidence, that is the approximate price for the new volt coming out. No thanks as far as I am concerned. Have you gotten your order in yet? I hope you realize though that the car will still burn gas too?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt
"The Volt's retail price will start at US$40,280 "
rosborne979

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 01:57 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:
By coincidence, that is the approximate price for the new volt coming out.

Uh oh, I thought I would have longer before croaking....
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 02:00 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
By coincidence, that is the approximate price for the new volt coming out. No thanks as far as I am concerned. Have you gotten your order in yet? I hope you realize though that the car will still burn gas too?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt
"The Volt's retail price will start at US$40,280 "

Oh. It's a hybrid (useless). I'm safe Smile
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 05:38 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
But my main interest comes not from the shape or speed of the car but from wanting to "feel" what it's like to drive a car with a motor instead of an engine. I also like the idea that they are silent when not moving. I bet it's an extraordinary driving experience.

I drove a hybrid and when you stopped at a light there was no sound. It was disarming at first, one's initial reaction, mine anyway, was "the car has stalled, what do I do?"

When you get used to it, it doesn't take long, that silence is really really nice.
okie

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 09:38 pm
@JTT,
I read an article some time ago, perhaps in Popular Science or Mechanix Illustrated, that people were working on devices to mimic the sound of a gasoline engine to fit into electric cars. The reason for that proposed invention is the possibility that a number of people might be unsettled or confused by the silence of an electric car. I tend to think you are correct, that it may be mostly a matter of getting used to it.

There is also the issue of people in other cars or as pedestrians not hearing oncoming cars, etc. That could be the bigger problem? Here is an article about that.
http://www.unece.org/press/pr2010/10trans_p12.htm
0 Replies

north

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 10:07 pm
@rabel22,
rabel22 wrote:

Anti-matter!

how is this " free energy " ?
0 Replies