Bush Reintroduces Slavery?

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 04:14 am
I thought slavery had, long and proudly, been abolished by America ..... until today, when I learned that Iraqis were leaving the Bush-created Iraqi army in their hundreds because, whilst his friends grab millions of dollars from taxpayers, Bush believes $60 A MONTH is a decent wage for the daily risking of Iraqi soldiers' lives in the second richest oil nation on earth.

Some might say that slavery, theft of labour and the resulting human poverty is perfectly consistent behavior by those whose pleasures include theft of the White House and whole nations by false pretenses?

Would any of the obscenities in the Bush Administration put their own lives on the line for this kind of money?

First theft of the White House, then invasions, then concentration camps, then legalised slavery. How much further can they sink?
Twisted Evil
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,075 • Replies: 19
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 06:50 am
quite a stretch john. did ya hear they captured saddam>
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 07:09 am
Webb,
Just a little FYI.

U.S. Per Capita GDP: $37,600
Yearly Pay for U.S. soldiers: $14,316
Percentage U.S. soldiers earn compared to U.S. PCGDP: 38%

Iraqi Per Capita GDP: $2400
Yearly pay for Iraqi soldiers: $720
Percentage Iraqi soldiers earn compared to Iraqi PCGDP: 30%

Sure sounds like slavery to me Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

For years, soldiers have made only a small fraction of what civilians have made. Thats the way things work when you choose to serve your country. Thats what it means to 'serve' your country.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 08:53 am
Fed - and that makes it right? It's crazy.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:09 am
littlek wrote:
Fed - and that makes it right? It's crazy.

It just means that the Iraqi soldiers are being treated no better or worse than any other countries soldiers.

Do workers in India or Poland make as much money per hour as their counterparts in the United States?

No, because the economy dictates that they get paid based on what is considered a 'fair' price for their services in their own country.

My only point is that the money they are paid could be considered a decent sum based on the current economy of Iraq.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:15 am
John, I think it's a stretch too. If it were slavery, those soldiers wouldn't be given the chance to leave, but clearly nobody is trying to stop them. Incidentally, what was the latest reward put out by the US for info leading to capturing Osama? Rolling Eyes They put a hefty one out on Saddam too, but none of the oppressed have stepped up on either, have they?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:22 am
Fedral makes a good point about the perceived fairness of wages. Simply put 90% of the world's wages would sound unfair to an American.

The notion that this is slavery is also absurd.

But there is something I consider unfair.

These soldiers are being trained to replace the US soldiers in a fight the US picked. This is being rushed in hopes of reducing US casualties and subsequent war weariness. In a way it can be characterized as them being paid $60 a month to get in harm's way and possibly die in place of an American soldier.

In that context "fair" might take into account the discrepancy between the US GI and the Iraqi soldier's pay.

But then again, this would undermine the future of their military as the wages would eventually have to be realistic within the scope of Iraqi wages....
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 09:45 pm
Surely it is extremely close to slavery when the only jobs available are very badly paid and the risk to personal safety massive?

41 Iraqi police and civilians killed or injured in a suicide bombing of a police station today. Doubtless with many more to follow, including allied and American forces.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 09:50 pm
not worth a response
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:28 am
A truly amazing man is Saddam. According to the Bush Administration, not only has he been able to organize all those daily attacks against American and allied forces from his hole in the ground, but he even manages to do it whilst under arrest.

Two more large explosions reported in Baghdad today SO FAR!

Or could the answer simply be that other unhappy Iraqis object to the continued occupation of their country by foreign invaders - even those as kindly and benevolent as the President and his friends?
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:15 am
A number of these attacks are not being carried out by Iraqi soldiers and militia. They are being carried out by Syrian,Lebanese,Iranian,Afghani,Palastinian and assorted other fanatics that have been crossing the border into Iraq to get a crack at the Americans. The can't get at the U.S. in America, but they can get at them in Iraq.

It's only a matter of time before the Iraqi people themselves get tired of watching these outsiders kill their own people and start turning them in.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:51 am
So it's all evil foreigners killing themselves in suicide attacks and the thousands of Iraqis, who have had their homes destroyed and their families decimated by Bush's bombs are filled with adoration? Rolling Eyes

Plenty of allegations about these intruders, just like W.M.D.s, no proof!

Why do Fedral's comments sound like a party line with the stench of disinformation? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:15 am
John Webb, Before you slam the pay of Iraqi military as "slave labor," you should do a 'investigative' study on 1) what other military get paid compared to their civilian counterpart, 2) the relative pay of those countries compared to the US and other developed countries, and 3) why do people volunteer into the military?
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:31 am
John Webb wrote:
So it's all evil foreigners killing themselves in suicide attacks and the thousands of Iraqis, who have had their homes destroyed and their families decimated by Bush's bombs are filled with adoration? Rolling Eyes

Plenty of allegations about these intruders, just like W.M.D.s, no proof!

Why do Fedral's comments sound like a party line with the stench of disinformation? Twisted Evil

Excuse me John but did I say that all these attacks or even the majority were being carried out by foreigners?
No I said a number, which is to say some of them. Please do not try to spin my words to suit your own twisted political ends.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:22 pm
[quote="cicerone imposter"]John Webb, Before you slam the pay of Iraqi military as "slave labor," you should do a 'investigative' study on 1) what other military get paid compared to their civilian counterpart, 2) the relative pay of those countries compared to the US and other developed countries, and 3) why do people volunteer into the military?[/quote]

C.I., I have accepted your wise observations regarding pay in various armed forces. But, with the only jobs currently available in Iraq, being American-appointments, carrying the stigma of collaboration and resulting very high risks of death or injury, leaves few or no other choices open to those with families to feed and support.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:48 pm
John Webb, But that is a whole other issue; we have people in "this" country unable to feed their families. We have over nine million without jobs in "this" country. More middle class families are turning to food banks to feed their families. There are inequities in every part of this world, but if I had my druthers and I was one who didn't have the wherewithal to feed my family, I still prefer to be in this country - the place of my birth, because I know that opportunities here are better than most places. We are still the strongest economy in the world, and things are improving - albeit very slowly.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 06:37 am
C.I., there is much wrong with America .... but all is curable with a far better administration than the present disaster.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 07:29 am
Fedral wrote:

That explains a lot. Only monkeys work for peanuts.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 09:14 am
gozmo wrote:
Fedral wrote:

That explains a lot. Only monkeys work for peanuts.

So to you, the brave men and women of each nations armed services be they American, English, Iraqi, French, German or Australian are just monkeys to you because they chose to serve their country and risk their lives to protect an ungrateful slug like yourself?

Calling someone who serves their country a monkey because they chose to earn less in the military world for the honor of serving their country and protecting those who can't protect themselves......

You make me violently SICK
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 09:37 am
Good
0 Replies