Favorite Bette Davis Line from One of Her Movies

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 11:03 pm
My favorite Bette Davis movie is "All About Eve." In it, she says this one line, "fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night." It is my favorite line in the whole movie. I think I've seen this movie 100 times and watch it whenever it is on.

What is your favorite line from which of her movies?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,552 • Replies: 13
No top replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 11:52 pm
@Arella Mae,
My favourite, Arella?
The exact same one as yours, of course. Smile
Actually, It's the only one I can remember ... but what a line & what delivery!
Bravo!

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 12:50 am
@Arella Mae,
IS she the one that said "NO WIRE HANGERS"!!!
ragnel

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 01:17 am
@farmerman,
No, that was Joan Crawford.
Roberta

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 01:21 am
@ragnel,
Yes, Joan Crawford, but it's not a quote from one of her movies. It's a quote from Mommie Dearest, a movie about Joan Crawford.
farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 06:28 am
@Roberta,
So Bette Davis wasnt in that one?
I got nothing . I dont even like Bette Davis, her eyes bug out too much.

I used to have a friend in high school with bugeyes , I called him "Feeb" (short for Feeble), The really cruel ones called him froggy.
Every time I see Bette Davis it harkens me back to Feeb and the way hed look at you like he was always getting stuck in the ass witha pin.

Good times.
msolga

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 06:29 am
@farmerman,
Laughing
Thanks for sharing that, farmer.
msolga

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 06:32 am
@msolga,
Me, I rather like 'em!

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 11:38 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

IS she the one that said "NO WIRE HANGERS"!!!
That's Joan Crawford. Ah, but she was in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane with Bette Davis. What a great movie that was!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 11:43 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Me, I rather like 'em!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eja-popojUo[/youtube]
Oh me too! I think her eyes were amazing. She had the ability to soften them to tears, enrage them to insanity, blind them to indifference, and pinpoint them to cutting right through you. There are certain actors or actresses that a lot of people might say tend to overract. I know some feel this way about Bette but I think she was fabulous and wouldn't miss a movie she was in. I think her real talent lied in the fact that I always had to wonder "is she acting or is she really like that?" Thanx for the video. It was great.
ragnel

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:19 pm
@Arella Mae,
When I was a child I wanted to grow up to be Bette Davis. No one pushed her around, and if they tried they got their comeuppance.

She was, I think, one of the first women in Hollywood who took a stand against the 'starlet' system of being sexual fodder 'owned' by a studio. It cost her much in that she was suspended for quite some time, but she was willing to put her money where her mouth was.

(I'm speaking wholely from memory here, so maybe I've got it wrong and am happy to be corrected, but to me she has always been a symbol of fighting for what you believe in.)

My only real criticism was that in her post Margo Channing years, whoever did her hair should have been put up against a wall and shot!
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:26 pm
@ragnel,
I agree! I thought her hair in All About Eve was so beautiful. She was a woman to be reckoned with indeed.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 10:19 am
@Arella Mae,
Practically anything she said. I simply adored her movies.

In a bad relationship?, swipe this Bette Davis gem in All About Eve: "You're not much of a bargain, you know. You're conceited and thoughtless and messy."

or this from Of Human Bondage: "You dirty swine! I never cared for you -- not once! I was always making a fool of ya. Ya bored me stiff! I hated ya! It made me sick when I had to let you kiss me! I only did it because ya begged me. Ya hounded me and drove me crazy! And after you kissed me, I always used to wipe my mouth -- wipe my mouth!"

Visiting family? From Beyond The Forest: "What a dump."

Whatever she said had a delivery which made it an instant classic.
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 12:09 pm
@Sturgis,
I have to agree with you. There just isn't anyone that can compare to her as far as I'm concerned.
0 Replies