Cats and computers.......problems

BillRM

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 08:15 am
My cats are causing me problems when I am using my computers.

Laying in front of the monitor, sitting on the computer chair when I get up for a minute, laying on top of the computer table and letting a tail hang down in front of the computer monitor.

My favor of all is my youngest cat Smokey who will love bit at my fingers when I am typing on the computer keyboard.

When I move them as a result they all act like I had kicked them so I end up trying to view at least part of the monitor around them typing with one hand and petting them with the other.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,257 • Replies: 21
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 08:48 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
When I move them as a result they all act like I had kicked them so I end up trying to view at least part of the monitor around them typing with one hand and petting them with the other.

You are just enabling this passive-aggressive behavior on their part. This will certainly hurt their long term relationships if you don't take action, especially with young Smokey. It sounds like family counseling for all of you could work wonders.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 08:52 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Laying in front of the monitor, sitting on the computer chair when I get up for a minute, laying on top of the computer table and letting a tail hang down in front of the computer monitor.

My favor of all is my youngest cat Smokey who will love bit at my fingers when I am typing on the computer keyboard.

I adopted Smokey, when he was a kitten, in 1954.

David
Ionus

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 09:15 am
@BillRM,
I have the same problem, but what are you going to do...they own the place. Anyway, they have written some of my best thoughts by standing on the keyboard.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 11:13 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I adopted Smokey, when he was a kitten, in 1954.

My Smokey David is a Bombay who came into my life a little over a year ago along with her mother, one brother and two sisters at a few weeks of age.

I found homes for the others kittens and kept her mother and her.

My plans was not to get attach to any of the kittens and I handled them just enough to socialize them to humans.

My plans fell apart as far as she was concern because she was by far the smallest of the litter and became lock out of getting milk from her mother or solid foods by her littermates.

The little girl gave up and even when I then placed food in front of her with her being removed from her littermates, she would just look at it and refused to eat.

I needed to then placed the food in my hand and pet and love her up and tell her how wonderful life could be and that I wish she would please stay around to find that out for herself before she would eat anything.

This went on for a few weeks before she would eat anything that I did not hand feed her and by the end of that period we had completely bonded.

Even a year afterward she still follow me around more in a manner of a dog then any cat.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 11:20 am
@BillRM,
GOOD WORK, Bill.

Here 's my way of ez domestication:
take kitten in your left hand or arm.
In your right hand, u have a bite size piece of roast chicken.

Apply piece of roast chicken to front of kitten.
After he sniffs it n eats it, offer him another bite.

He will then get the idea
and he 'll be fully DOMESTICATED.

David
BillRM

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 11:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
He will then get the idea
and he 'll be fully DOMESTICATED.

David as far as Smokey is concern and the four others cats of mine I am a fully domesticated human. Smile
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 12:06 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Cats do have a way of taking over, but in mine and my wife's experience, it is very important to set boundaries, just like you would do with a child.

Cat's are intelligent creatures, and can learn where they are not allowed. The trick is to start them off when they are young, and the need to be consistent. It can be tough, I admit!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 01:53 pm
My late lamented Miranda deleted something I had been working on for hours. I learned to save a lot more often. She never left the computer alone.

My late lamented Patty was completely uninterested in the computer.

My late lamented Mikey liked the mouse. We had some tugs of war (tug or wars?). I usually won.

Ground rules for cats? It's their apartment.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 02:22 pm
Give them lots of affection in a different location. Ignore them when they are in your computer area.

To do otherwise just reinforces the idea that when you are at the computer, that's the time to receive affection from you. Their antics are just their way of soliciting that affection from you. You need to teach them that when you are in this other spot, that's the signal that it is time for playful affection from you.
Reyn

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 10:01 pm
@Butrflynet,
Good advice!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 12:36 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

And the problem here would be.....?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 02:56 am
@dlowan,
static electricity
BillRM

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 03:07 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
static electricity

I once did in fact blow a computer main board because when having the computer open to install a modern card one of my cats came over and without thinking, I petted her!!!!!!!

Lord how stupid!!!!!!!! Drunk

I was however in luck as the computer was still under warranty.

Ionus

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 03:52 am
@BillRM,
My computer was running strangely, doing odd things...I eventually suspected overheating and had a look at the CPU fan.....enough cat hair to glue together three cats. It liked sitting next to the case fan in winter and spring. All the shedding in spring had gone through the case fan into the CPU fan. I scolded it for poor behaviour, and I think it had a devastating effect as it blinked at me and then yawned.
BillRM

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 04:19 am
@Ionus,
My wife cat is still very annoy at her for changing her computer monitor from a nice warm CRT type that she found is great for keeping warm in winter in the Detroit area to a non-warm LED monitor.

I suggested to my wife to just place the old monitor near by and keep it on for the cat.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:37 am
@BillRM,
I know that cats n dogs r telepathic.

David
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 01:46 pm
@BillRM,
Had a cat that consistenly would lay on the keyboard when I typed, would lay on newspaper when I read it. Cats are attention whores!!!
Mame

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 03:19 pm
It's an animal! Shove it off the table and onto the floor, for Pete's sake.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 03:21 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:
Had a cat that consistenly would lay on the keyboard when I typed,
would lay on newspaper when I read it. Cats are attention whores!!!
He was harassing u.