Are you a cyber-hoarder?

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 08:36 am
Quote:
cyber hoarding 381 up, 86 down
November 5, 2010 Urban Word of the Day

When a individual has an excessive amount of pointless word documents, pictures, etc. saved on their computer that they will never look at
Cyber hoarding is Katie's flaw because she has 2000+ photos on her computer of random stuff like jellyfish and city landscapes.
cyber hoarder picture place people
by sassy sparkle princess Nov 1, 2010

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cyber%20hoarding&defid=5322446#

So confess if this digital age description fits you to a tee. Do you have gigabytes or even terabytes of useless Jpg's, Word Docs, Spreadsheets, MP3's, MP4 files, etc... clogging up your computer hard drives? Do you have portable hard drives collecting dust but filled with business and/or home life nonsense that you thought at one time you would need or like to keep but in fact you never even access?

Do you have a dozen, two dozen or three dozen icons cluttering up your computer's desktop? Most of which you have touched since you either saved the file or created a short cut to your desktop weeks or months or even years ago?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 4,642 • Replies: 21

Mame

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 09:22 am
No. I regularly delete things. I don't like clutter.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 09:27 am
Me neither. Everything is organized on my computer and whatever I save is
in folders with proper description.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 09:28 am
@tsarstepan,
Yes and no.

Very few icons on my desktop, and I regularly delete stuff.

There are some things that I keep, though. I have a lot of email, going back to 1997 or so. (It's not a complete archive, I delete a lot along the way, but keep almost all personal correspondence and anything else that I think I might need at some point in the future.) It's organized and searchable and has come in very handy several times, but it's definitely a lot. Since it's just a drop in the bucket these days, memory-wise (the vast majority is text-only, no images), I'm not too concerned about it.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 09:32 am
@tsarstepan,
Yes. Yes I am. You got a problem with that?
Mame

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 10:06 am
@Irishk,
No, most of your stuff is probably bad jokes!
Reyn

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 10:16 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm quite neat, tidy, and organized, while my wife does tend to have a lot of "stuff" on her computer.

Mind you, she does use a lot of it, albeit occassionally.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 10:32 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Yes. Yes I am. You got a problem with that?

You might need an intervention but I'm not going to be the first person to step through your door to tell you this news. Shocked
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 10:34 am
@Mame,
From my hoard:
http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/28932/original/God-Warrior-Bad-joke-Nobody-laugh9.jpg?1259803229
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 12:19 pm
I'm very good about deleting old files.
Usually one week before I find out I really needed them.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 12:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
My photos are everywhere. So, I think a call to the computer geek is on the agenda. I simply don't know what to do with them. They['re still in the emails they came in, saved in Favorites, saved in My Pictures. I'm plugged up with photos.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 12:29 pm
@Pemerson,
Sounds worse then sinusitis. Sad
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 01:19 pm
i'd rather cyber-hoard than regular hoard, i regularly go through my files and clear stuff out

i've got 216 gig of movies, but i got rid of almost all my dvds

i've got 136.55 gigs of music but i got rid of my cds

i've got 82.76 gigs in my Audible folder

i regularly sort through the music, culling stuff i haven't listened to in years, or sorting through compilations (at one time i subscribed to and or bought a lot of magazines that came with sampler cds (magnet, paste, uncut, mojo, dj mag, mixmag)), trashing songs i don't want

Reyn

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 03:13 pm
@djjd62,
What's the storage capacity in your computer? Shocked

Or, do you have the stuff saved on external back-ups?
djjd62

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 03:17 pm
@Reyn,
i have three external drives, one for movies and some music, one for tv and some music, one for misc media stuff

just realized, i have 196.37 gigs of tv stuff
Irishk

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 11:18 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
i've got 216 gig of movies, but i got rid of almost all my dvds

What format are you saving your movies in? I rip and compress to 4.35G, but I'd need a little more than 3T to save them all to external HD.
littlek

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 11:20 am
@djjd62,
That's what I am thinking of doing. Have at least 2 external drives. One to back up my computer every month or two and one to back up my images more often.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 11:25 am
@Irishk,
.m4v, mostly to play on an ipod touch, about 700 mb per file, i use handbrake
Irishk

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 11:45 am
@djjd62,
Thanks! Guess I could use .mp4 format.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 11:52 am
I'm a semi cyber hoarder.
I save articles that interest me on the desk top, for a trial period. I get rid of most of those a day or two later, in an I-don't-really-need-that mode. I do keep others in files - architecture, art, health, bla bla blah, and then there's recipes. Oy. Those I must force-cull every couple of weeks.

I bookmark some handy sites in my tool bar, and, dammit, need to move them over to delicious.com or similar site: blogs of interest (I cull these too), flogs (food blogs, that list is getting quite long), travel links (some of those wonderful), reference, sports (not all that many), weather (2).

No music, movies, videos. Re music, I have my cds and check out various sites when I'm in the mood, but don't save stuff. Photos I have to deal with, as I lost IPhoto a year or so ago (have to reinstall). I put my photos on other sites, but I need to get in gear and keep my own collection on the computer too.
0 Replies