A2K's Halloween Shindig!

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 04:50 am
Come one and come all to a2k's Halloween Shindig!

Come in costume!
We can bob for apples:
http://www.perfectduluthday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/HalloweenApple002-450x305.jpg
Exchange candy!

Drink spiked cider:
http://www.janespice.com/files/photo_thumbnails/0000/0294/DSC_1467_banner.JPG?1229480116

and tell bloody ghost stories!

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 04:59 am
I ain't bobbing in the same water with anybody else, not even a2k friends. Unsanitary, don't ya know?
However, I will partake a bit of the spiced whattaya callit drink there, later this day.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 10:00 am
@edgarblythe,
I couldn't get the picture to show so you have to clink on this to see the funny picture.

BBB

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/10/29/science/28welldog/28welldog-blogSpan.jpg
squinney

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 10:32 am
Oh, yeah! Pass some spiked cider and turn on the black light so you can see me.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 11:11 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Arrrrr! Pirate dogs! Hide your kittens, womin, and sides of beef! Arrr!
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 01:18 pm
Pumpkin pie! Pumpkin pie!
Where's the pumpkin pie?
I was told there'd be pumpkin pie!!!

<splat>

Thank you.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 03:53 pm
http://inews.cooking.com/images/newsletters/ffth00871/recipe_2.jpg

Ooey Gooey Witch’s Fingers
Yield: Makes 16 fingers
Creepy on the outside, gooey on the inside…what more could a goblin ask for? Enjoy plain or dip into bloody marinara, it'll be hard to decide “witch” way you like best.
RECIPE INGREDIENTS
16 almonds
1 bottle natural red food coloring
1 small new paint brush
1/4 cup warm water (about 110 degrees F)
1 teaspoon instant yeast
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 cups organic bread flour, plus extra for work surface
1 teaspoon salt
1 Large Egg, beaten
Nonstick cooking spray
8 sticks of string cheese, cut in half
3 tablespoons Butter, melted
1 jar Marinara Sauce, heated

DIRECTIONS
Bring one-cup water to a boil. Add almonds and blanch for one minute. Remove from heat and place on a towel. Take another towel and rub off the skins. Place a couple drops of food coloring in a small bowl, and using the paintbrush paint each almond red. Place on wax paper to dry.

Mix yeast with water in a glass bowl or 2-cup measuring cup. Let stand about 5 minutes. Add enough water to equal 1 cup water total. Stir in oil. Place flour and salt in food processor. Pulse to mix. Slowly add liquid while processor is running. Once the dough forms a ball, process for an additional 30 seconds. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for about 5 minutes. Place in oiled bowl, and cover and let rise for 2 hours. Punch dough down and divide into two balls. Take one ball and roll into an eight inch strand. Cut into 8 pieces. Roll out each piece so it is 5 inches long and 2 inches wide. Place a piece of string cheese on dough and roll to form a "finger-like" shape. The gnarlier, the better!

Mix egg with 2 tablespoons water. Brush edges of dough with egg wash, to form a seal. Press an almond at one end as the fingernail. Use a knife and gently press into the "finger" to create "knuckles." Place competed fingers on baking sheet sprayed lightly with cooking spray. Repeat with rest of dough until it is all used.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush fingers with melted butter. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and serve with marinara sauce.

http://iweb.cooking.com/images/recipe/Recipe/detail/RE_8391a.jpg

Creepy Party Punch
Nothing gets a party started like a cauldron of ghoulish brew! Creepy hands, "blood clots" and wisps of swirling fog set the tone for the frightening feast to come.
RECIPE INGREDIENTS
For the Frozen Hands:
4 cup Orange Juice
1 cup water
4 drops blue natural food coloring
6 clean, un-powdered food-grade disposable plastic gloves
For the Punch:
One can raspberry frozen concentrate
Eight cans Lemon-Lime Soda
1 bottle Raspberry Italian Soda
1 container strawberry, raspberry or mango sorbet
One (10 ounce) bag Frozen Raspberries
2 pounds dry ice*
Ten plastic spiders
One bag spider webs

Creepy Party Punch Recipe at Cooking.com
DIRECTIONS
FOR THE FROZEN HANDS:
Mix together juice, water and food coloring. The juice will turn a ghastly green color! Pour the juice into gloves and tie the ends securely (like a balloon). Place on cookie sheet, and freeze until hard.

FOR THE PUNCH:
Mix frozen concentrate and soda in punch bowl. Add sorbet and raspberries. Remove hands from freezer and cut away plastic gloves. Place hands in punch. Wrap spider webs around punch bowl and add spiders to the web. Just before serving, add dry ice* using tongs or insulated gloves.

*Food-grade dry ice is the best way to make spooky punches. It can be safely added into the punch, provided you follow some precautions. Do not add regular ice to the punch. If your guests like regular ice, add to individual glasses only. Use large pieces and be careful not to eat any of the dry ice. Even after the ice has stopped producing “smoke,” it will look like regular ice and float in the punch. Do not ingest these pieces. Allow for two to four pounds of dry ice for each gallon of punch. Dry ice is heavier than ice, and it sinks to the bottom. When serving the punch, carefully ladle it into drinking glasses without any dry ice. Do not touch dry ice directly, but use insulated gloves or tongs. Use a ladle to pour punch into cups without any dry ice and it will be perfectly safe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 04:42 pm
@squinney,
Love your new avatar, Squinney..
wandeljw

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 05:24 pm
That woman in the ladybug costume is kind of cute. I hope she sits next to me.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 08:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, Man! How'd you know it was ME??

wait...

(Drats. The tail. I forgot to cover my tail again!)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:10 pm

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks for the vids Butrflynet. I was unaware the Muppets were still making skits and such.

Two excellent and appropriate videos indeed!
0 Replies