Who Invented Buttons That Didn't Work?

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 09:15 pm
Why have the option to edit/delete your own posts and topics if, obviously, it doesn't work? For a given time you can edit your topics and posts, but that's it. Am I missing something here? What genius made this?

For as long as I've been here, it hasn't worked. We have such seemingly intelligent [well, sometimes] debaters and we can't even get a button to work 24/7 without circumstances.

roger

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 09:23 pm
@Subliminal0,
Darn good question, now that you mention it. Seems like those options could just go away once the time limit has expired
Subliminal0

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 09:28 pm
@roger,
At the least, making them disappear would be reasonable. Though, it would be more reasonable if they actually did the command they read. Down with the admins!
laughoutlood

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 09:35 pm
@Subliminal0,
Quote:
making them disappear would be reasonable

i kinda like them
roger

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 09:39 pm
@laughoutlood,
LOL
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 09:43 pm
Sub, there are time limits on editing posts, for good reasons that I am not smart about, but I am supposing it takes up wads of site time. Past that, people can futz around and then the post doesn't look like itself. As it is, one can fix a misspelling, but not come back and re-argue, at least usually.
laughoutlood

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 09:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
but not come back and re-argue, at least usually

i dunno, yes do, no i don't, doubtless
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 09:51 pm
@laughoutlood,
You are correct yet again.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:08 pm
@Subliminal0,
Quote:
Who Invented Buttons That Didn't Work?

Sadly the first buttons that didn't work are so lost in prehistory that it would be a mammoth task to unravel.
Subliminal0

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:19 pm
@ossobuco,
I understand the editing idea, although if they expire, the button should also disappear. But that still leaves the deleting problem.
Subliminal0

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:20 pm
@laughoutlood,
Leave it to one person in every thread to state the obvious. Thank you Captain Hindsight Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:33 pm
@Subliminal0,
If I get it, and I don't as I am a tech dullard, some changes on all that is as us as a site consumer.

Please don't whine about buttons, I'll have to sling my beanie at you.

I'm likely one of the few on a2k who ever did wear a beanie.

Well, **** you too, she laughs. That was in third grade.
Subliminal0

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:37 pm
@ossobuco,
I can't help but whine! It's in female nature [or so the men say].
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:44 pm
@Subliminal0,
I'm not after you. (The contrary, glad you are here, tap tap.) But, should you have a recalcitrant problem, there is remedy, by clicking on Contact Us below most every page.
Subliminal0

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:54 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm normally not one to ever complain, but I find it much more soothing to whine about my small problems here before taking action. I can't be the only one who has noticed this. (Ditto).
roger

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:57 pm
@Subliminal0,
Better here than using the contact button. At least here, you get a bit of sympathy.
Subliminal0

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 11:13 pm
@roger,
Haha, this is true.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 11:56 pm
@Subliminal0,
Quote:
Why have the option to edit/delete your own posts and topics if, obviously, it doesn't work?

It does work, Subliminal0. But you've gotta be quick & it really helps to be clear about what you want to say before you post. Do you use the "preview" button before posting/replying?

Quote:
For a given time you can edit your topics and posts, but that's it. Am I missing something here?

What's there to miss? You have a limited editing time. Everyone else here does, too.

Quote:
For as long as I've been here, it hasn't worked.

You haven't been able to edit your posts in the given time? Or are you experiencing some other problem? I'm not quite sure about what you mean.

I edit my posts quite a lot. Mainly for spelling mistakes, or clumsy expression. That means I need to carefully read anything I post, both before I post & immediately after, to meet the editing deadline. (But sometimes I still look at one of my posts & wish that I'd worded it better. That's just the way it goes.)

But I like the limited editing time. Here's why: Just say you're involved in a debate. Limited editing/deletion time makes you more careful about what you write, because your argument is there as a permanent record (unless you immediately delete it). And the same applies to anyone debating with you. Neither you, nor they, can go back long after the post & change their words or their arguments. The words & the arguments stand. There's an integrity in that which I really like. I wouldn't want things any other way.

roger

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 06:30 am
@msolga,
I agree with your final point absolutely. Still, once the buttons become nonfunctional, wouldn't it be nice if they went away, instead of sitting around teasing people? Offering false hope of removing something you finally decide was in poor judgement?
msolga

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 06:37 am
@roger,
Quote:
Still, once the buttons become nonfunctional, wouldn't it be nice if they went away, instead of sitting around teasing people?

Yes, I agree. I think they used to, once your editing time was up.
Also, so long as your post was the last one on a thread, you could delete it, anytime.
I think I've got that right. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
0 Replies