Politicians, media contemptuous of silent majority

blatham

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 10:07 am
Jes

The modern hurly burly is a difference. Yet I think Perception in originally bringing this up has his finger on something important - an apparent disconnection between the political/media crowd and much (much too much) of the population. Earlier here I have recommended Joan Didion's book "Political Fictions" and let me do so again to you personally - I think you'd love it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 10:09 am
This is a link to the Esquire article on the workings of the present White House and on Carl Rove's influence... http://slate.msn.com/default.aspx?id=2074869
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 10:10 am
Sorry....this is it....http://ronsuskind.com/writing/esquire/esq_rove_0103.html
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 11:02 am
Hmm well I think that's a given or at least it should be, e. g. that there's a disconnect between the media and the common man (or woman, whoever that person is).

In 2000 (and before), the media went on and on about how important large states were, e. g. those with large cities, vis a vis the election - but then the election was decided by small townspeople. Forget the whole chads thing; I'm talking about the mix of electoral votes if you toss out Florida - the results were close, but it turned out that a lot of less-populated states (read: Kansas, Colorado and the like) worked out to be pretty close to the clout of a lot fewer but more populous states. But where is the coverage? It's in Chicago, and LA, and Columbus, not in Lawrence, KS or Boulder, CO. The only reason why New Hampshire and Iowa get any press at all is because they're first with their primaries/caucuses. But if they weren't, they'd be Delaware - tiny, insignificant and forgotten.

Yet the Delaware people vote, of course - and in the last election, their 3 electoral votes (again, toss out Florida) could've decided it. Is it media/political shorthand? The country is vast; there's a lot of ground to cover, and a lot of hands to shake. I can see where it's easier to go to NYC and see a million people when, in the same amount of time, you could go to Delaware (I harp on Delaware because I was a part of the Biden Senate campaign there in '84, so I have some first-hand knowledge of what goes on) and attend a union social and meet ... 87 people.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 04:24 pm
Five years old( this thread)
But still worthy to recollect the past 5 years.
0 Replies