The Islamic Practice that Justifies Prostitution and Adultery

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 01:07 pm
Quote:
Abuse Of Temporary Marriages Flourishes In Iraq
by KELLY MCEVERSOctober 19, 2010
The practice of temporary marriage has long been common in Shiite Muslim communities, especially in Iran. The idea is that rather than having an affair, a man who wants to be sexually involved with a woman should marry her — for a few months, or even, hours — so the relationship will be legitimate.

In Iraq, the practice was banned under Saddam Hussein but then flourished after the American invasion. Now, though, some men are using the system to take advantage of poor women, and many of Iraq's Shiites say the very religious institutions that sanction such marriages are to blame.

One mother of three, who is so ashamed about what happened to her she doesn't want to give her name, says her husband abandoned her when she found out he preferred men. She had no way to support the family.

A religious figure in her neighborhood promised to help. He brought her to his home, locked the door and had sex with her. He offered her $15.

For the man at least, it was a brief moment of muta'a, the Arabic word for pleasure — and the Arabic word for temporary marriage.

The woman says the man who had sex with her worked with leading Shiite religious clerics in the Iraqi city of Najaf. It's one of the most revered places in Shiite Islam.

For the rest of the article and report:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130350678

talk72000

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 01:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
Islam proliferated from having multiple wives as the winners took additional wives of those killed in action. Spoils of war. Confused Mr. Green
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 02:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
Surprisingly, I quite approve of these temporary marriages. They work the same way as legalizing prostitution would, except that things like child support are taken care of if the sex leads to a pregnancy. The true vices of the clerics NPR described are corruption and an abhorrent lack of empathy for women in need. But their use of temporary marriage to legitimize a horny **** is alright with me.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 02:57 pm
@Thomas,
I agree with Thomas.

It is a shame that there is no prostitution or adultery in Christian countries.
allegoria

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 06:44 am
@Thomas,
Child support is not taken care of when this tradition legally and religiously supports prostitution in such countries are Iraq or Iran or SA, etc!
When a woman signs, more or less "voluntarily", several contracts per week to support her family what do you think happens if she gets pregnant? Nothing but abortion if she can or just another mouth to feed if she can't (and if she survives the shame and if she does not catch AIDS in addition!!!). Moreover, teenage girls victims of Mutaa are often sold temporarily to older men by their own "father", "brother" or "uncle" who can give a copy of the contract to justify their acts. They can't even sue their pimps!
Legitimize horny fucks... the victims thank you!

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 03:48 pm
@allegoria,
I thank you allegoria for your frankness in this your first posting here at a2k.

I find this practice to be pathetic and disturbing and utterly vile in its hypocrisy.

In what, perchance, country do you reside in? If you don't mind me asking....
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 08:11 pm
@allegoria,
Quote:
When a woman signs, more or less "voluntarily", several contracts per week to support her family what do you think happens if she gets pregnant? Nothing but abortion if she can or just another mouth to feed if she can't (and if she survives the shame and if she does not catch AIDS in addition!!!). Moreover, teenage girls victims of Mutaa are often sold temporarily to older men by their own "father", "brother" or "uncle" who can give a copy of the contract to justify their acts. They can't even sue their pimps!

This sounds like exaggeration. I find this type of defamation leveled toward Jews and Muslims, cultures that people distrust but have very little understanding of, to be distasteful and dangerous.

It is all to easy to take a part of a culture that makes sense, and then to blow it out of all proportion with made up facts in order to justify or stir up hatred.

I don't think there is anything wrong with temporary marriage as described by the NPR article, provided that there are protections for children and people in poverty. Of course the fact that these groups are taken advantage of in war is a separate issue.

But if we are going to discuss the topic, then we should stick to facts rather then defamatory exaggerations.

talk72000

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 08:15 pm
@maxdancona,
Did you know that in Muslim countries they do not allow people to change their religion?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 08:29 pm
@talk72000,
Quote:
Did you know that in Muslim countries they do not allow people to change their religion?

How does this have anything to do with the topic of temporary marriages?

There are lots of Muslim countries, from Turkey to Indonesia to Iran. Your claim about what "Muslim countries" is probably ridiculous, although we could go through country by country.

I believe in religious freedom. Of course I think someone should be allowed to convert if they choose. I also believe that someone should be able to build a house of worship in New York or Tennessee and the no one should be singled out by law enforcement.

So course, I would oppose policies in other people's countries that limited freedom. But, these aren't my countries and they aren't my cultures. I don't think I can do a good job working for social change when I don't have a deep understanding of the people or the culture.

I am an American, and I feel very confident working for social change in my country. Which is why I think it is so important to call out bigotry here. There is plenty including people trying to stop places of worship and single people out for hatred or suspicion.

I am against bigotry. Making a cherry picked list of things of bad things about an religion or culture, where things done by one is ascribed to all, is an easy way to inspire hatred.
talk72000

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 08:31 pm
@maxdancona,
Muslims are bigots against other religions by not allowing other religions to be practiced or allow people to change their religions.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 08:41 pm
@talk72000,
Quote:
Muslims are bigots against other religions by not allowing other religions to be practiced or allow people to change their religions.

Come on now.

Sure, there are Muslim bigots the same as there are Christian bigots and American bigots. This doesn't mean that all Muslims or all Christians are bigots.

Muslims are human beings, you know. Lumping all Muslims into one big scary stereotype is just wrong. I happen to know Muslims who don't at all match your prejudice.

What does this have to do with temporary marriage, which to at least a couple of Atheist westerners, sounds like a good idea?

talk72000

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 08:51 pm
@maxdancona,
I would say most Muslims are okay. It is the governments that I worry about especially those who get funded by Saudi Arabia. They are pushing the Wahhabism down their throats and trying to get Sharia Law forced down on all Muslims. Once their oil runs out I would like them all flogged.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 09:02 pm
@talk72000,
So what? I don't like the government of Saudi Arabia either.

What does this have to do with the practice of temporary marriage (which as a Shiite custom wouldn't have anything to do with Saudi Arabia)?
talk72000

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 01:52 pm
@maxdancona,
Both are fundamentalists and they cause a lot of problems.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 03:31 pm
@talk72000,
Quote:
Both are fundamentalists and they cause a lot of problems.

There you go again. You are bunching all Sunni Muslims and all Shia Muslims into one group that you think are all alike (unless you are saying there are only two Muslims in the world).

You are being ridiculous, there are Sunni Muslims and Shia Muslims who are no more fundamentalist then you are (and might even cause fewer problems then you do).

Not all Christians are fundamentalists either.

talk72000

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 03:38 pm
@maxdancona,
I am talking about the fundamentalists of both groups. They are the ones pushing old customs.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 03:43 pm
@talk72000,
As long as you accept the fact that you can be a Christian without being a fundamentalist, then I agree with you. I am very upset at fundamentalist Christian opposition to marriage equality, and I am horrified by fundamentalist Christians shooting doctors, but I have no reason to hate all Christians.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 03:50 pm
I object to defamation.

Would you object if someone said "Jews are swindlers who rob old people of their retirement" or "blacks are gang members who sell drugs and kill kids".

Someone who said things like this could argue that they are correct. They could point to Bernie Madoff or any number of gang members who happen to be black.

In my opinion these types of defamatory statements are hateful exaggerations that should be opposed by any person of good will.

The statements made in this thread, "[Muslims] are fundamentalists who cause problems" and they "do not allow people to change their religion" are the same thing.

You are using exaggeration and anecdote to support a pre-existing hateful prejudice.
-
talk72000

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 03:57 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Dec 27, 2006

Thoughts by Steve Van Nattan-- Editor:

As recently as 1992 a young lady in university in the USA converted from Islam to become a Christian. She took a Christian name and started wearing western style clothes, abandoning the chador, and was opening speaking of her faith. She also said she was preparing to die, for her family back in Malaysia would send a hit man and kill her here in the USA.

Islam is one of very few world religions left today which will kill and destroy the lives of its followers who leave Islam. The Christian faith is based on a choice, by faith, to follow Jesus Christ. At any time a Christian can abandon the faith and become anything they wish.

Coercion and the threat of losing life, family, or vocation is the ONLY way Islam keeps it followers faithful. Such a beggarly religion is highly suspect. If there is someone called Allah, and if the Koran is the revelation of Allah, why can the Koran and Allah not keep the Muslim faithful? Why are death threats, and laws like these in Malaysia, needed?

If you are a Muslim, why do you continue in this toothless hound of a religion. Allah is not the one with power-- Power is in the death threat of the Mullahs.

Please consider the love and freedom of Jesus Christ.

In July when the [/Sharia court sentenced four Kelantan Malays to 20 months jail for apostasy, the rights of Muslims to quit Islam has come under intense discussion over the Internet.[/b]

http://www.blessedquietness.com/ALHAJ/malaysia.htm
maxdancona

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 04:46 pm
@talk72000,
You don't get it Talk. Picking anecdotes to support you pre-existing bigotry proves nothing other then your own bigotry.

Of course, the article you posted is a lie.

Quote:
Islam is one of very few world religions left today which will kill and destroy the lives of its followers who leave Islam.

Ironically, it is Christian propaganda, written by Christians, to show how bad non-Christians are. This claim that Christians don't kill people for leaving Christianity is pretty easy to disprove.

Quote:
EKET, Nigeria — The nine-year-old boy lay on a bloodstained hospital sheet crawling with ants, staring blindly at the wall.

His family pastor had accused him of being a witch, and his father then tried to force acid down his throat as an exorcism. It spilled as he struggled, burning away his face and eyes. The emaciated boy barely had strength left to whisper the name of the church that had denounced him – Mount Zion Lighthouse.

A month later, he died.

Nwanaokwo Edet was one of an increasing number of children in Africa accused of witchcraft by pastors and then tortured or killed, often by family members. Pastors were involved in half of 200 cases of "witch children" reviewed by the AP, and 13 churches were named in the case files.