dLowan, the cheese bigot

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 09:33 pm
@farmerman,
I liked real parmigiano in Parma, hey hey, and I liked fresh pecorino (which you can't get here that I know of, in Tuscany, and, sorry Dlowan, Cypress Grove goat cheese (highly prized) when I was in Humboldt County -- but dammit, I can't spring the money for good cheeses these days, including some of the tasty mexican cheeses we have here in NM. I'm down to once in a while picking up a nice small bit of blue cheese. Good on wasa crackers or my latest thing, Kavli 5 grain. That daffinois sounds delicious..
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 12:34 am
Yes - we heard you the first time!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 12:51 am
I really do like Asagio d'Allevo (stagionato). But it's rather expensive, and besides that, its not often to find here in shops. [You just get the more common Asiago pressato (fresco)]
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 01:30 am
What? No buffalo mozarella mentions? You have to have a Cambusa salad next time you're in Positano on the Amalfi coast Osso.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 02:06 am
@hingehead,
I forgot it. Yes, I like the real buffalo mozz. Never been to Positano, and probably never will re travel funds - will look up about Cambusa salad.

Walter, interesting re Asiago in a fresca form, I didn't know about that.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 02:42 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Walter, interesting re Asiago in a fresca form, I didn't know about that.

The fresca is the more common kind, "industrialised", 75% of the production. It's sold just four weeks after the production started.

The handmade (only 25% of the production) comes in three variations: Mezzano (+6 months ripe), Vecchio (one year) and the Stravecchio (over two years, and a teeny-weeny bit stinky).
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 03:34 am
@ossobuco,
If you find a recipe let me know - It was the house specialty of the Cambusa restaurant so you won't find it in the Silver Spoon book.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 03:37 am
All this cheese talk is making me reminisce about the standard cheese course in French restaurants. Didn't matter which ones you picked they were all spectacular.

Charles De Gaulle wrote:
How can anyone govern a nation that has two hundred and forty-six different kinds of cheese?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 07:56 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

They TOLD me it was goats' milk.

and since when do you believe everything Dys says.
I read an interesting bit of travel trivia a while ago that said Australians were the worst nationality when it came to trying nee kinds/styles of food. Which is weird when you think about vegemite.
I woulda at least tried it dys and prolly loved it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 08:00 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

What? No buffalo mozarella mentions? You have to have a Cambusa salad next time you're in Positano on the Amalfi coast Osso.

Usually i go for he sharp cheeses but one of the best cheeses i ever ate was buffalo moz. Certainly top 5 anyway
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:32 am
Hinge, I think this is it, but I can't tell how to enlarge the photo, and the menu is too fuzzy for me. I figure the quality of the ingredients is outstanding.

http://www.lacambusapositano.com/foto/piatti_ridotte/PICT0094_s.jpg

http://www.lacambusapositano.com/

The restaurant and the city look wonderful.
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:35 am
I dunno . . . them Eye-talians . . . don't get me wrong, some of my best friends is Eye-ties . . . but it ain't like i'd want my daughter to eat their cookin' . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:43 am
Bigger photo, from
http://style-canvas.blogspot.com/2010/08/italian-series-part-6-dining-in.html

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xUMfLvMzrlw/TFWUVqErGJI/AAAAAAAACCY/7qtxhAOYvg4/s400/Screen+shot+2010-08-01+at+PM+11.31.03.png

dyslexia

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:55 am
what do I know, the Asiago cheese we eat just says "aged 1 year"
fbaezer

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 11:15 am
I'm sooooo dissapointed!
Are Australians the new Americans?
hingehead

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 03:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Nice detective work Osso but that isn't the one i remember - lot more ingredients, capers, olives, smoked salmon,egg - those buf mozzes are making my mouth water. It's almost a meat substitute.

Will have to dig out my Positano photos. <runs off with 'Memories' playing in head>
hingehead

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 03:49 pm
@dyslexia,
Not 'best before 22 Oct 2009'?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 03:53 pm
@ossobuco,
You're right, it's the quality of the ingredients.

Can't get cheese like that in Oz. <wails>
hingehead

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 04:01 pm
It's well known what insular Australian cheese bigots are - remember the 'minibels overboard scandal' in 2004? Historians put it down to the convict heritage which ingrained a distrust of cheese in authority.

Being western in the Asian hemisphere the papers were often full of cheese-scaremongering with lots of mentions of the 'yellow horde' on the doorstep.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 04:14 pm
@hingehead,
I admit that with the larger picture I was saying 'what?' to myself, as in they put three things on a plate. Not always a bad idea, given what three things, but I admit being perplexed.

A perfect tomato is heaven in itself, metaphorically and gastronomically, smash your face with a just ripe one from the garden, but on a combo from a restaurant, I like more.

I remembered a name of a italian cheese I forgot, scamorza. Except I don't remember it, not that that means it wasn't delicious that day.
Another, I do like sardo (sheep, sardinia) dolce, but not always. Purveyors may vary. The supplier of that at my old 'sorrento' market was good, I loved that cheese, but I've had sardo dolce since that tried my enthusiam.

On french cheeses, I've only had them, or mostly, in restaurants, often new to me and good, famous cheeses, but those were rare situations, alas.