Should girl’s sports’ coaches yell?

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 10:11 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

boomerang wrote:
If you read the article that was linked you'll see that not one girl has quit the team in his 10 years of coaching.

Actually, I only see the article citing the coach claiming that. I don't see the article confirming it.

also - there was a reference to 100 players over 10 years - they've already been pre-selected or self-selected as players who wanted to play to his approach or could survive the selection process

there's a lot of information missing there
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 10:15 am
@Thomas,
Acutally - no it isn't just for making one fit. For some it is to go on and play more competitive sports. For some it can pay for college. You may not agree that sports should be a stepping stone for college, but that is the current situation.

I agree that for those that want to play for fitness then yelling is out of line. But many men have had the leg up in business because of their prior experience in team sports. It also doesn't make one a bully, but teaches them to respect their coach and be a team player.

Most of these same coaches emphasize hard play, but fair play - some of those same coaches I hear yelling are the first to assist the other team if some one is hurt. You see their team helping the opposing team member up when they fall. You can still play hard to win and have good solid sportsmanship.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 10:18 am
@Thomas,
This also carried onto the academics - the kids on his team ended up with a much higher success rate in school than the other kids in this high school with many continuing their educations beyond high school.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 10:19 am
@Thomas,
Actually this particular coach NEVER had a player quit his team.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 10:20 am
@Setanta,
That is most likely because it was a more instructional league - not competitive.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 10:22 am
@Thomas,
There have been several articles relating to this that confirm no one has quit.
ragnel

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 08:08 pm
@Linkat,
You might find this one interesting -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqUWGbPSkLY
Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:23 am
@ragnel,
cute
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:27 am
@ragnel,
Haha, that's funny indeed!
ragnel

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 09:16 pm
@CalamityJane,
There is a companion ad to this. The second ad shows one of the kids running down the field, with the coach keeping abreast of him on the sideline, yelling at him to run the other way. Of course, the boy scores an 'own goal' and runs over to the coach, who ruffles his hair and says 'Well done! Another reverse hat-trick!'

People actually complained that these ads supported the concept that it was okay for a coach to yell at kids. It went before the appropriate tribunal and was dismissed (sanity does sometimes prevail!).

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 09:28 pm
Osso comes in with tales of Sister Mel. She was our pitcher during extended recess. No one was left out.

Sister Mel yelled, at least in my memory. It was after all, a mighty large field for us.

I lived in the neighborhood around the school yard and gates weren't closed after school back in the fifties, until after dark, and, besides, Marty in the house next door watched out. I think he became a priest.

I was a fantastic softball player after school, in my mind. Well, some home runs, and some good at bats. Knowing me, I was probably a horrible fielder.

Anyway, all yelling isn't awful. Sister Mel was good.

* yes, I get it, but I don't know, I don't know at all.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 09:47 pm
@ossobuco,
This is an aside I should address elsewhere. In the fifties by our church and pretty expansive schoolyard, we had some victorian houses oft dilapidated, that people with large families could live in, owned by the church. The one next to Marty's had fourteen kids. I knew that family well, still in touch with the daughter I did know, she's fine - but not Marty's. At this point I feel for him, but I barely new him then. I could make guesses, but see one isolated kid.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:54 am
OK - so this weekend's tournament, I watch an older girls team before my daughter's game. I am watching because we found another AAU team in a town where we think we may be moving next year. I figure I'd see how well this high schoolers are.

They were a great team - they worked together, made just about every free throw, you could tell the way they worked so well together as a team, that they were well coached.

You know what - the coach was one of the few coaches, I've seen just calming sitting down/not saying a word.
George

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:59 am
@Linkat,
I'd pay money to watch his practices.
0 Replies