How to search for a roommate

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 04:18 am
I am at a real loss as to where to look if you are wanting to find a room mate.
I know there are people here who do that for themselves.. so.. where do you look?

I have thought of the obvious, craigslist, news paper ..etc.

I feel like i am forgetting simple easy places to either browse, or post for one.

Any suggestions?

MonaLeeza

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 06:00 am
@shewolfnm,
When I was a student there were always noticeboards covered with share house ads around the university - I"m guessing that's still the case.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 07:30 am
@shewolfnm,
I've used a (paid) Roommates matching service a few yrs ago. You might want to check that out. It's in many other cities beside Boston, too. http://www.roommates.com

Last year, I used Craigslist and had a very successful match with somone who was recently divorced. He was a landlord who needed someone to help defray his expenses. I rented for $520/month plus util. and had access to half of this duplex. He was a teacher and during the summer went on vacation for 4 weeks so for awhile I had the whole place to myself.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 07:41 am
@shewolfnm,
I still prefer to go through universities - some still have housing offices. I always preferred 4th year or grad students as they had to work and go to school. Less time to be around the house to annoy me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 09:44 am
@Ragman,
I've done the same thing - I remember it wasn't hugely expensive, but it was definately helpful. Craigslist scares me.
Ragman

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:08 am
@Linkat,
Any time you are answering ads online (or otherwise) one should be cautious.

I know what you're saying about concerns with Craigslist; however, the problem is that when you're on their Personals ads page is that there've been ads for hookers, pimps services, etc. In fact, Craigslist has been taken to court over their policies for personals ads.

That being said, people who are looking to share their space and place ads are, for the most part, pretty legit.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:12 am
@Ragman,
I have used roommates.com as well in the past. Highly recommend it. Also there are local services that act as third party interviews that work as well. Can't remember which one I used when I lived in Framingham, MA.

Sublet.com is another good site.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:13 am
@Linkat,
Yep. Avoid craigslist and the other free services go with one service that will only charge a one time fee or a low monthly charge for security sake.
0 Replies