Roommate is asking for security deposit months after renewing lease

CoffeeM

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2017 05:45 pm
I live in Michigan, and moved into a house in September with one other person, who has lived there for maybe two years. We signed an eight-month lease, and renewed in May for one year. Both times we signed a lease, a price was given for a security deposit, but my landlord never told me I had to pay. I wasn't asked by my roommate to split the cost of the $700 deposit either. But now, nearly ten months after I moved in, and almost two months after renewing our lease, my roommate told me yesterday that I need to pay half the security deposit, $350, by the 30th. He seemed frustrated when I said I'd rather give it directly to the landlord- not to him- to ensure I get the money back when I move out. Also, he wants me to give him cash, no money orders or checks. And he even told me he wants to use the amount to pay his share of rent this month, so I know it won't even get to the landlord! But I haven't been able to contact my landlord in regards to this matter, so I don't even know if I actually do need to pay a deposit. I can't help but feel suspicious at his strange timing. In addition, we haven't been getting along for about a month, so there's been a lot of tension. He's a bit of a control freak, and is even more upset because I've showed great reluctance to just hand over that amount of money. What should I do??

jespah

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2017 06:04 pm
@CoffeeM,
Stick to your guns. A security deposit is between you and the landlord, unless you're in a sublet situation (and even then, it isn't necessarily between you and the sublessor).

Your roommate just wants some ready cash and, I am sure, never intends to pay you back, as he will claim it was a part of the security deposit. And then, when the landlord pays him, you'll have no proof of intent and he'll (your roommate) will just pocket the entire security deposit. Unless you feel like handing over a $350 gift for no good reason, continue to tell your roommate to go scratch while you, I trust, look for another place to live.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2017 06:08 pm
@CoffeeM,
I've never heard of paying a security deposit to anyone other than the land lord. Does he offer legally binding assurance that your deposit will be refunded under certain conditions? I would say to hold him to the original agreement and not try to renegotiate after the fact.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2017 06:29 pm
@CoffeeM,
Let him know that you are waiting for confirmation from the landlord that he (roommate) has paid the entire $700 security deposit already.

You are technically responsible for 100% of any deposit if you are on the lease. How you, your roommate, and the landlord sort out how you pay it and to who is something that will need to be sorted out.

Keep in mind that you are responsible for 100% of the lease if things between you and your roommate fall apart, so try to find a way to get things sorted in a smooth way.
0 Replies

D45ist

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2017 09:40 pm
@CoffeeM,
Did he pay the entire 700.00 at the time? Did yo sign the lease or is it in his name only and you rent from him?

If you signed, why didn't you feel obligated to pay half? In other words, do you only do things when you're made to?

What's this persons character? Is he the type to wonder why you didn't pay half, but be nervous to mention it?
CoffeeM

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 06:14 am
@D45ist ,
When we signed the lease, I did feel obligated to pay half. But I asked about the deposit when I moved in, and he said I didn't need to pay because he had paid it himself when he moved in two years before. So it sounded like the landlord didn't ask for a deposit. He isn't hesitant to approach me at all, and we communicate openly if there's a problem. Which is why I'm so reluctant/suspicious about the deposit. It took over a month for it to be mentioned at all, and we see each other almost every day.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 12:48 am
@CoffeeM,
It's better to have a paper trail of everything you pay for. Avoid paying anything in cash unless you get a receipt at the time of payment. If you don't get a receipt, don't use cash. If you want to pay half after he had already paid the security deposit, the two of you could go and work out the details with the landlord.
0 Replies