why I dislike the Tea Party.

revelette

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 03:24 pm
@H2O MAN,
I guess that's why conservatives in Texas feels the need to change the history books.

Like this for instance:

Quote:
Thomas Jefferson no longer included among writers influencing the nation’s intellectual origins. Jefferson, a deist who helped pioneer the legal theory of the separation of church and state, is not a model founder in the board’s judgment. Among the intellectual forerunners to be highlighted in Jefferson’s place: medieval Catholic philosopher St. Thomas Aquinas, Puritan theologian John Calvin and conservative British law scholar William Blackstone. Heavy emphasis is also to be placed on the founding fathers having been guided by strict Christian beliefs.

source
JTT

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 07:55 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
Our universities haven't taught much political history for decades.

HTF would you know anything about that, H2oman?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 04:20 pm
@revelette,
For years, Libs in California determined what was written in textbooks, thanks, in large part, to the economic vibrancy of the state. Now it's Texas, for the same reason. There's no place for politics in textbooks, but Liberals introduced it and turn about is fair play.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 04:50 pm
As an aside, my state has adopted a new 4th grade state history book titled "My Virginia."
In it, on the section devoted to the Civil War, is the claim that "thousands" of blacks joined the Confederate army to fight the Union forces.
The suggestion is that the Civil War was not about slavery but about states' rights.
The author concedes he is not an historian and relied on "internet research" and information from the Sons of Confederate Veterans organization.
The committee which approved the book was comprised of three 4th grade teachers. Their objective seemed to be to ensure that every ethnic group got mentioned in each chapter.
JTT

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
There's no place for politics in textbooks, but Liberals introduced it and turn about is fair play.

Has there ever been anyone, in the whole history of the written word that has contradicted themselves so quickly?
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 06:49 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

As an aside, my state has adopted a new 4th grade state history book titled "My Virginia."
In it, on the section devoted to the Civil War, is the claim that "thousands" of blacks joined the Confederate army to fight the Union forces.
The suggestion is that the Civil War was not about slavery but about states' rights.
The author concedes he is not an historian and relied on "internet research" and information from the Sons of Confederate Veterans organization.
The committee which approved the book was comprised of three 4th grade teachers. Their objective seemed to be to ensure that every ethnic group got mentioned in each chapter.

Wow. Just wow.

A
R
T
roger

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:56 pm
@failures art,
Yeah, that sounds like some pretty profound research.
0 Replies