Will flood of big money matter in congressional campaigns?

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:15 am
October 11, 2010
Will flood of big money matter in congressional campaigns?
By David Lightman | McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — Big money is changing how congressional races are being run this year, but it's not clear how much difference it'll make.

Independent groups, which often are run by hard-edged partisans who are hard to identify, are pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into political campaigns, and as a result candidates are devoting more time to attacking and responding to opponents and less time talking about issues. Some cash-strapped challengers — usually Republicans — suddenly have enough financial backing to compete against powerful incumbents.

Will it matter? Will it give one side a big advantage? Is our democracy being bought by big spenders?

"We're starting with a blank slate. We all have to step back and say all the old rules and expectations (about the influence of money) may not apply any more. We don't know what this will eventually mean," said Meredith McGehee, the policy director at the Campaign Legal Center, an independent group that studies money in politics.

The barrage of money was triggered by the Supreme Court's January ruling in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, a case that flung open the doors for corporate and union treasuries to spend freely to push their favorite candidates.

The Center for Public Integrity, a nonpartisan research group, estimates that independent groups will spend more than $500 million across the country this year to help candidates, with Republican-allied organizations likely to have at least a 3 to 2 spending edge. In 2006, the last nonpresidential federal election year, such groups spent about $300 million.

The court decision already has had an effect, as the spending deluge has helped often-obscure challengers gain recognition, pay for advertising and put manpower on the ground.

In the Nevada Senate race, for instance, independent groups had spent at least $4.2 million through early October to oppose Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Democrat, and support his Republican rival, Sharron Angle, according to data from the Federal Election Commission and the Committee for Responsive Politics, an independent research group.

About $1 million came from American Crossroads, a Republican-allied group with ties to Karl Rove, former President George W. Bush's political guru, including $356,000 spent last week.

Other independent groups have spent about $1.2 million so far to boost Reid.

Despite the ad and money blitz, Reid and Angle have been in a virtual tie for weeks.

Angle was a little-known former state assemblywoman who got a boost in the June Republican primary from groups associated with the tea party movement.

Now the GOP nominee, she's benefitted from like-minded groups. Our Country Deserves Better, a conservative group, has run ads against Reid that feature Ronald Reagan calling Reid a "tax and spend liberal" in the 1980s. "Today, Reid is emblematic of all that's wrong in Washington," the ad says.

However, the Patriot Majority, allied with Democrats, has been firing back with its own ad blasting Angle's position on abortion and calling her "too dangerous to have real power over real people."

The money also is being used to help the ground game. Americans for New Leadership, a conservative group, hopes to spend $1 million to help defeat Reid, including a get out the vote effort.

So far, though, Eric Odom, a conservative activist, found so many people involved in Nevada grassroots activity that, he said, "We're running into each other."

No one knows how much the money will matter. Campaign 2010 is uncharted territory, and experts are watching money's influence on a variety of fronts:

- How much it boosts challengers. "It matters where candidates otherwise don't have the ability to be competitive," said David Wasserman, House of Representatives analyst for the independent Cook Political Report.

In Pennsylvania's 10th congressional district, Republican Tom Marino had raised $232,000 as of June 30, while incumbent Rep. Chris Carney, a Democrat, had raised $1.17 million. Marino, however, has been aided by about $800,000 in independent expenditures, according to Center for Responsive Politics data. Carney had a slim lead in the latest Lycoming College poll, released last week.

- How much it amplifies a message. Candidates never know what will resonate, but if the right ad runs over and over, and it sinks in, it can build momentum.

"A lot of times, if you ask voters what a candidate stands for, they won't know," said veteran TV consultant Kenn Venit. "But you get to a point where everybody knows who the candidate is," a repetitive ad can cement a lasting image.

- How much it makes incumbents seem like victims. 2010 is a bad year for incumbents, but if they're subjected to an ad barrage by outside interests — particularly those with close ties to Washington — they may be able to turn it in their favor.

In Arkansas, a coalition of liberals and unions tried to topple Sen. Blanche Lincoln, a two-term Democrat, in the primary. In the general election, conservative outside groups have spent nearly $2.7 million to defeat her.

Lincoln, who's been helped by about $725,000 from independent groups, is fighting back with an ad where she stands in a bucolic scene and says, "A few months ago, the Washington unions attacked me for being too conservative."

- Whether candidates can make money the issue. Democrats, led by President Barack Obama, are gleefully reminding voters that they're being outraised and outspent.

Democratic National Committee Chairman Tim Kaine likes to rail about "the efforts of special interests to subvert the American electoral process though massive undisclosed political donations and the concurrent efforts of Republican partisans to leverage those donations to their own advantage..."

Republicans counter that money from independent groups is simply the grassroots citizenry expressing itself. Because most unions strongly support Democrats, GOP spokesmen maintain, Democrats have an edge in manpower, if not money.

"We've always been at a disadvantage," said Republican Party spokesman Doug Heye. The GOP-friendly outside groups are "welcome — we're all working the same direction," he said.

- How much the money affects turnout.

"When there is no overriding issue, the tit for tat of attack ads depresses turnout," said Curtis Gans, the director of the Committee for the Study of the American Electorate, which studies voter turnout.

However, this year's politics are dominated by the aftershocks of the biggest recession in more than 70 years, and in years when there are big issues, turnout is usually up.

At this point, Gans said, it's hard to gauge yet whether the money will affect turnout. "I find it all very complex," he said.

Other experts do, too.

"Not spending the money can help you lose," said Michael Munger, a political science professor at Duke University, "but it's not true that lots of spending means you'll win."

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/10/11/101894/will-flood-of-big-money-matter.html#ixzz129b1xrSq
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,558 • Replies: 37
No top replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:24 am
Money always seems to matter in a campaign, which is why congressional incumbants win so regularly. Now I may be a bit touched in the head today, but I'm a firm believer that if we want to have honest politicians, then we need to take the money out of the election system. I believe, until convinced otherwise, that spending for elections should be capped. I don't see any reason that people running for congress need to spend more than, oh, lets just say 1 million, to get their message out there. Then maybe there will be less dirt throwing and more talk about the issues during a campaign and the playing field (monetarily) is evened between the incumbant and the challenger.

Of course, that makes too much sense so will never happen.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:28 am
@CoastalRat,
You are right but the TV Media will fight to retain the "big money elections" because they make much larger profits during campaigns.

BBB
CoastalRat

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:33 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Man, I must be on a roll today. First Set and I agree on something. Now I find BBB and I agreeing. I'm beginning to believe there may yet be hope for conservatives and liberals to work together. Laughing
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:37 am
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

Man, I must be on a roll today. First Set and I agree on something. Now I find BBB and I agreeing. I'm beginning to believe there may yet be hope for conservatives and liberals to work together. Laughing

If you keep insisting that elections shouldn't be ran by big money, it isn't Liberals that you will have a problem convincing, but instead Conservatives. It is they who have lead the charge to keep the system which favors the rich, and costs ever-expanding amounts of money.

Cycloptichorn
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:39 am
@CoastalRat,
Well, I don't know about that. I would agree that centrist conservatives and liberals can work together better than those on the fringes. But, who knows. Maybe it IS your lucky day. Wink

BBB

0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:41 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Something tells me Cy that both dems and repubs would balk if they were told there were to be a cap on election spending. Then they would all immediately begin trying to find ways to circumvent the cap. Sorry, I don't think you would get either side to agree on it.

Of course, this is only my opinion. But I'd be willing to lay odds on it.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:43 am
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

Something tells me Cy that both dems and repubs would balk if they were told there were to be a cap on election spending. Then they would all immediately begin trying to find ways to circumvent the cap. Sorry, I don't think you would get either side to agree on it.

Of course, this is only my opinion. But I'd be willing to lay odds on it.

Sure, people from both parties definitely benefit from the current system in a variety of ways. But I'm just saying; if you look to see which group has consistently argued that Money is Free Speech and that there should be NO limit on campaign financing, and that all this money raised and spent is a good thing, you would be looking square at the Conservative wing of the Republican party.

Cycloptichorn
CoastalRat

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:55 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I can't argue the point since in most election cycles Repubs bring in more money than Dems (at least that is my understanding, but I would admit error here if anyone can show otherwise.) That being the case Cy, can you blame them for their stance? And don't try to convince me that if the situation were reversed that dems would still be pushing to limit election spending. Human nature (and politicians) being what it is, I don't believe that would happen.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:59 am
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

I can't argue the point since in most election cycles Repubs bring in more money than Dems (at least that is my understanding, but I would admit error here if anyone can show otherwise.) Than being the case Cy, can you blame them for their stance? And don't try to convince me that if the situation were reversed that dems would still be pushing to limit election spending. Human nature (and politicians) being what it is, I don't believe that would happen.

The modern Republican party is the natural defender of Big Business, so they understandably want to see their allies freed to spend as much money as they want to get them elected. It isn't that the whole thing isn't understandable; it is understandable. It just isn't a good thing for our country.

I think that some or even most Democrats would be for limiting election spending no matter what the situation is; but, there are plenty of Conservative Democrats who definitely would not. It goes across party lines and is really more of an ideological thing.

Cycloptichorn
CoastalRat

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 09:05 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Well, at least we agree it goes across party lines. But I still have doubts that democrats would be vocal about finance limits if they consistently raised more money than republicans. I just don't buy the suggestion that the majority of democrats would cut their own throats any more than the majority of republicans would. Back to that human nature thing.
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 09:28 am
@CoastalRat,
As a 501 c(4), there are , reportedly millions of dollars being sent to the GOP for some of these very slick ads that have been popping up with the summary statement "If you dont like what Congress is doing, Write to your Congressman and complain yadda yadda). Thats because the c(4) requirement is that at leats half the cash must be used in "lobbying" and not campaigning. SO developing attack ads against the Dems via a thinly veiled attempt at being "informational" or general opinion is just a latest trick based upon the "CITIZENS UNITED " deciision.

The trick is that they donty have to doisclose who is the donor until after the election cysle.

Does the USSC have its collective head up its ass?
Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 09:32 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Rhetoical question, right?
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 09:34 am
@Setanta,
more of a physiological inquiry, cause I wonder from which orifices they speak.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 09:35 am
@farmerman,
Quote:

Let's be honest: the Conservatives on the court did this on purpose, because they knew it would help their cause politically.

Cycloptichorn
CoastalRat

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 09:45 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Let's be honest: the Conservatives on the court did this on purpose, because they knew it would help their cause politically.

And this is where dialogue breaks down between us Cy. You can't acknowledge that people who don't see things your way have an honest disagreement on the matter. You quickly ascribe political motives to the court. Of course, the liberal members of the court have motives that are pure as the driven snow whenever they vote, right?

So much for "Let's be honest".
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 09:47 am
@CoastalRat,
Well, while the labor unions did give money to a DEM candidate in an ARkansas Senate PRIMARY , TARGET corp has spent lots of money in the GOP camp in an anti-gay campaign. Hows that fer burning the constitution with a USSC decision
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 09:48 am
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

Quote:

And this is where dialogue breaks down between us Cy. You can't acknowledge that people who don't see things your way have an honest disagreement on the matter. You quickly ascribe political motives to the court. Of course, the liberal members of the court have motives that are pure as the driven snow whenever they vote, right?

So much for "Let's be honest".

No, let us be really honest: members of the court, on both sides, often make decisions that they believe will benefit their party or ideological position. I have never claimed that the Libs are pure at heart, ever.

I don't believe the justification given in the Citizen's United case supports the conclusions the courts came to. I've taken some time to read the decision, and it's my opinion that they decision was motivated more by the long-standing Conservative desire to have unfettered election spending than it was a sober look at prior law and the Constitution. I understand if you want to disagree with me; but are you doing so based upon a reading of the decision, or based on the fact that you just don't want to hear people say stuff like this?

Cycloptichorn
CoastalRat

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 09:50 am
@farmerman,
I'm certainly not disagreeing FM. But are you telling me dems don't do the same thing?

Look, I'm all for taking money out of elections. Got no problem with it. I also understand the concern that capping election money is a freedom of speech issue. But don't blind yourself to the fact that the problem is not a liberal or conservative problem. It is not a repub/dem problem. It is a political problem that crosses both aisles and thus is not likely to go away, no matter what either side says because at some point in time, both sides benefit from big business donations.
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 09:54 am
@CoastalRat,
80 to 20 in US are against the CITIZENS UNITED DECISION. We will, no doubt need a Constitutional Amendment. Do you think that any degree of bilateral activity can occur today?
The political waters are almost as bad as they were in the 19th century