Absolute truth?

igm

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 02:29 pm
@north,
Also i.e. second post same answer:

Descartes said he couldn’t be sure of being deceived…(he could only be sure he was conscious of appearances…so he believed… I’d say even this was going too far, in my opinion) and with touch alone it would be very easy to deceive someone into thinking they were touching something of a particular shape and size when you the deceiver only had a thin strip of wood and by holding it vertically and horizontally at different distances when that person touched it…the mental experience produced would be completely wrong and the result of deception… but believable to the person with only the sense of touch to go on.
igm

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 02:33 pm
@north,
I've replied in previous post I seem to have anticipated your response... Smile
0 Replies

north

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 02:38 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

Descartes said he couldn’t be sure of being deceived…(he could only be sure he was conscious of appearances…so he believed… I’d say even this was going too far, in my opinion) and with touch alone it would be very easy to deceive someone into thinking they were touching something of a particular shape and size when you the deceiver only had a thin strip of wood and by holding it vertically and horizontally at different distances when that person touched it…the mental experience produced would be completely wrong and the result of deception… but believable to the person with only the sense of touch to go on.

ahhh

but the reality of the object is still absolute

whether you can define this object by touch is irrelevent

the object is still absolute

the object doesn't care whether you or I get it right , as far as understanding the object

the object still remains an absolute truth

the object absolutely exists

igm

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 02:50 pm
@north,
north wrote:

igm wrote:

ahhh
but the reality of the object is still absolute
whether you can define this object by touch is irrelevent
the object is still absolute
the object doesn't care whether you or I get it right , as far as understanding the object
the object still remains an absolute truth
the object absolutely exists

It's the observer of that object that has to decide whether the object exists. If there is no observer then the attribute of existence cannot be applied to the object.

You also said movement so let's look at that. If I want to travel from A to B then if I'm walking the tip of my forward most shoe has travelled and the rest of the journey in front of my shoe remains untraveled... there is no travelling taking place I've either travelled or I haven't so does this mean movement e.g. travelling is an illusion?
0 Replies

north

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 03:06 pm
igm
Quote:
It's the observer of that object that has to decide whether the object exists. If there is no observer then the attribute of existence cannot be applied to the object.

then your saying that the observer has the fore-knowledge and therefore the full understanding of that object in-order for that object to come into existence

but science has ologies , the study OF , which shouldn't be nessecary

if the observer " decides " the existence of all objects

igm

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 03:21 pm
@north,
north wrote:

igm
Quote:

then your saying that the observer has the fore-knowledge and therefore the full understanding of that object in-order for that object to come into existence

No, I'm not saying that. I'll put it another way: you can't just say that an object would exist whether there is an observer or not. How would you prove that?...it’s impossible. So that wouldn't prove that objects exist and to state they do... is not an absolute truth... if that is your attempt at a proof. Objects appear... so you can't say they are non-existent but when you examine what they would need to be truly existent you can't find anything about an object that proves it truly exists.
north

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 03:35 pm
@igm,

north wrote:

igm
Quote:

Quote:
No, I'm not saying that. I'll put it another way: you can't just say that an object would exist whether there is an observer or not. How would you prove that?...it’s impossible.

actually its not impossible

is the observer possible without the reality of our star , our sun

igm

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 03:55 pm
@north,
north wrote:

It's like I've already said the sun appears so it's not non-existent but the sun's color, shape, extension, location, etc... are mental phenomena... we interpret appearances and form opinions about the way things are but those opinions are not and can never be 'Absolute Truth'.

I quite like what this Roman Emperor had to say:

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. MARCUS AURELIUS (121-180 AD)
north

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 04:13 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

north wrote:

It's like I've already said the sun appears so it's not non-existent but the sun's color, shape, extension, location, etc... are mental phenomena... we interpret appearances and form opinions about the way things are but those opinions are not and can never be 'Absolute Truth'.

so the sun is an absolute truth

JLNobody

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 04:17 pm
@north,
There's only one absolute truth and it's that there is no absolute truth.
Robert Thurman
north

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 04:23 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Robert Thurman

I disagree

there is a fundamental absolute truth

the Universe

guigus

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 05:28 pm
@north,
north wrote:

JLNobody wrote:

Robert Thurman

I disagree

there is a fundamental absolute truth

the Universe

There is an absolute truth, but it is not the universe---at least not in the objective sense you understand it (scientists cannot stop disagreeing about what such a universe is). Nothing purely objective or purely subjective can be an absolute truth, which is always between and beyond the two.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 09:27 am
@guigus,
That sounds right to me.
"Absolute" and "relative" are interdependent constructs. We can't have one without the other. If that is so, the "Truth", cannot reference the Totality, i.e., the universe's "Reality" without transcending that distlinction.
...something like that.
igm

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 09:29 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

That sounds right to me.
"Absolute" and "relative" are interdependent constructs. We can't have one without the other. If that is so, the "Truth", cannot reference the Totality, i.e., the universe's "Reality" without transcending that distlinction.
...something like that.

Seems on the right track to me also.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 10:35 am
@JLNobody,
...yes reality cannot be computed by a smaller part in it...agreed !
...thus we need a different definition of truth, an abstract one ! A final state of affairs that I cannot describe but that defines "me" and "my experience" in relativistic terms...
...if I cannot tell what is the case to be true as final, I still can although have a true partial and valid description of what "I" am experiencing to be "real", a relativistic local effect fully justified in "me"...

...on reality itself it can only be said that reality it is real as a whole a tautology which is not informative beyond the sense of necessary unity...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 10:50 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
...on truth being contained, careful, it can be said that a square of squares it is not a square but a square of squares !
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 07:53 pm
@Chights47,
Chights47 wrote:

I may not have stated this clearly enough but I don't believe that I went into any specifics with it but all definitions are already interpreted by each individual person. How those words are defined is just the generalized point of what it represents for most people. If I were to say "water" a great deal of understandings, and interpretations branch off from that. When I say "water" you could think of it from a chemistry stand point of H2O or you can think of a bottle of water, or a river, etc. This is why we use context and generally the more context that you use, the greater the understanding about something is. Unless you already have a level of understanding with a person then you sort of skip a lot of those unnecesary steps and less context is needed.
I'm quite baffled how you are sorely ignorent about everyday life.

Each day we see and hear about people breaking very well defined rules and laws.
I'v myself been in the quality departmen in a big newspaper, and seen how people can't comprehend very simple and well defined rules, usually simpleminded people, they may are having stress or other mental problems not allowing them to focus thus comprehend.
0 Replies

rangeruger

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 06:18 pm
@Cyracuz,
Something exists. It might not have a physical existance but the fact that one is aware is something.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 02:42 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

That sounds right to me.
...something like that.

There is a way absoluteness can become independent of relativity, which is by permanently transcending itself as its own relativity, just as relativity permanently transcends itself as its own absoluteness: unlike relativity, when absoluteness transcends itself as its own opposite it becomes independent of that opposite. Hence, absolute truth must permanently transcend itself.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 02:50 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

JLNobody wrote:

That sounds right to me.
...something like that.

Seems on the right track to me also.

The first step for walking that path is realizing that all being and its nothingness, just like relativity and absoluteness, permanently become each other.