Absolute truth?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 09:35 pm
@guigus,
A "brain" does not amount to say much more then a organized form of computation according to our observations...from my perspective its not even a necessary "material" statement...

Quote:
2. And yet, since the truth of a falsehood is only that falsehood, for any truth to be true it must have itself as a truth, which must be different from it.

This amounts to confusion upon confusion, a mess...
The truth of a falsehood its not other then the correspondence between what is asserted and the fact of the matter...If it is false that Man walks on three legs then it is false that Man walks on three legs, X is X...even if X refers to what is false, that is in the case, on the contrary, that no man walks on three legs that we know of...the proposition that Man walks on three legs is what is found as truly false !
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:07 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Guigus likes confusion. When he is unable to account for his views he usually starts trying to make everything more complicated and confusing. Self-confirmation seems to be of higher value to him than clarity.
justintruth

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:22 am
@guigus,
I guess the problem is how do you make sure that the first part of 2) up to the comma is true. Here it is:

"the truth of a falsehood is only that falsehood"

Does "falsehood" mean "false statement"? You mentioned something in an earlier post about "the bearer". Here it is: "The truth of a falsehood being the truth of the circumstance of something being false depends on the falsity of that something: without being that falsehood itself (and not its bearer, which you are mistaking it for), its truth cannot be true. " This makes me think that "falsehood"="false statement" is wrong because the false statement is the "bearer" and the falsehood really means something like "false circumstance" in your use.

I will proceed first 1) assuming falsehood=false statement then assume that 2) it doesn't:

1)
Ok let me take the example and see if it parses. The falsehood is "My computer is floating over my desk". The truth of that falsehood is a different statement "It is true that it is false that my computer is floating over my desk". If that is right then the truth of a falsehood is not that falsehood because the statements are not the same.

2)
falsehood = false circumstance
Perhaps in this case it gets resolved by a prohibition of anything being a false circumstance - in reality - as opposed to in the sense of a false statement? Something like "there are no false circumstances". If we use correspondence then whatever is corresponds with itself - it is identical with itself and therefore cannot *be* false. Rather the term *false* would then be limited to statements as in 1)

I am thinking of the Viceroy butterfly which mimics the Monarch so that it will not be eaten. Is it false? No I think not - it is a viceroy that resembles a Monarch. But it is designed (has evolved) so that a predator will form the opinion (statement) that it is a monarch. So it is not a false circumstance it creates a false opinion (statement).

So I am at a loss in finding any false circumstances. If there are no false circumstances what happens to your argument?

I unfortunately am sure of none of what I wrote above...

What do you think?

guigus

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 06:25 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Guigus likes confusion. When he is unable to account for his views he usually starts trying to make everything more complicated and confusing. Self-confirmation seems to be of higher value to him than clarity.

It is you that are confused, which makes you see only confusion in what I say.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 06:39 am
@justintruth,
justintruth wrote:

I guess the problem is how do you make sure that the first part of 2) up to the comma is true. Here it is:

"the truth of a falsehood is only that falsehood"

Does "falsehood" mean "false statement"? You mentioned something in an earlier post about "the bearer". Here it is: "The truth of a falsehood being the truth of the circumstance of something being false depends on the falsity of that something: without being that falsehood itself (and not its bearer, which you are mistaking it for), its truth cannot be true. " This makes me think that "falsehood"="false statement" is wrong because the false statement is the "bearer" and the falsehood really means something like "false circumstance" in your use.

I will proceed first 1) assuming falsehood=false statement then assume that 2) it doesn't:

1)
Ok let me take the example and see if it parses. The falsehood is "My computer is floating over my desk". The truth of that falsehood is a different statement "It is true that it is false that my computer is floating over my desk". If that is right then the truth of a falsehood is not that falsehood because the statements are not the same.

2)
falsehood = false circumstance
Perhaps in this case it gets resolved by a prohibition of anything being a false circumstance - in reality - as opposed to in the sense of a false statement? Something like "there are no false circumstances". If we use correspondence then whatever is corresponds with itself - it is identical with itself and therefore cannot *be* false. Rather the term *false* would then be limited to statements as in 1)

I am thinking of the Viceroy butterfly which mimics the Monarch so that it will not be eaten. Is it false? No I think not - it is a viceroy that resembles a Monarch. But it is designed (has evolved) so that a predator will form the opinion (statement) that it is a monarch. So it is not a false circumstance it creates a false opinion (statement).

So I am at a loss in finding any false circumstances. If there are no false circumstances what happens to your argument?

I unfortunately am sure of none of what I wrote above...

What do you think?

You are just not reading the sentence properly:

Quote:
The truth of a falsehood is only that falsehood.

That is, the falsehood I am talking about is the same of which you are asserting the truth: the expression "the truth of a falsehood" makes that falsehood become whatever is false, because the truth of a falsehood is precisely whatever is a being in that falsehood -- as opposed to whatever is nothing because of its own falsity.

All you have to do is keep the first "falsehood" identical to the second in the sentence "the truth of a falsehood is only that falsehood," as the sentence requires.

More simply put: if something were not false, then it wouldn't be true that it is false.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 07:07 am
@guigus,
...what is false is the assertion...that which does not exist is not to be falsified if not to be propositionally asserted in the very first place...once asserted the assertion itself is at check, the thing if not existing is not at check nor ever was...can you grasp the meaning of this words ? Read carefully and you just might get it for once...
guigus

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 07:40 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...what is false is the assertion...that which does not exist is not to be falsified if not to be propositionally asserted in the very first place...once asserted the assertion itself is at check, the thing if not existing is not at check nor ever was...can you grasp the meaning of this words ? Read carefully and you just might get it for once...

So if I say that "unicorns exist," then it is only that assertion that is false, not unicorns themselves (which can then freely exist). Can you grasp the meaning of these words? Read carefully "and you just might get it for once"...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 08:38 am
@guigus,
The assertion it is a true assertion, it exists as an assertion... but it does not refer! What it says is what is false! The falsity is in the assertion and not in what does not exist you dumb ass!
guigus

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 04:36 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

The assertion it is a true assertion, it exists as an assertion... but it does not refer! What it says is what is false! The falsity is in the assertion and not in what does not exist you dumb ass!

It does not refer to what, you dumb ass? A sentence not referring to anything is not false, but rather meaningless, while the sentence "unicorns exists" is perfectly meaningful, despite being false.
guigus

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 04:49 am
@justintruth,
Further clarifying it:

Quote:
1. If any truth were untrue, then it would not be a truth: every truth must be true.

2. And yet, since the truth of a falsehood is only the nothingness of whatever it falsifies, for any truth to be true, it must have itself as a truth of which it is different.

3. So its truth must be different from itself, hence untrue.

4. But if the truth of a truth is untrue, then the truth it makes true is also untrue: any truth becomes its falsity, which makes every truth variable.
guigus

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 06:38 am
@guigus,
Small correction:

Quote:
1. If any truth were untrue, then it would not be a truth: every truth must be true.

2. And yet, since the truth of a falsehood is only the nothingness of whatever it falsifies, for any truth to be true, it must have itself as a truth from which it is different.

4. But if the truth of a truth is untrue, then the truth it makes true is also untrue: any truth becomes its falsity, which makes every truth variable.
Chights47

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 06:58 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

Small correction:

Quote:

2. And yet, since the truth of a falsehood is only the nothingness of whatever it falsifies, for any truth to be true, it must have itself as a truth from which it is different.

You know the basic reply to this entire question doesn't really have anything to with truth or untruth. In a general sense everything is plausible. We only classify is as such within our minds to help explain the world around us. It all branches from the same exact thing (or nothing as it may be), however.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 07:02 am
@guigus,
To the subject it posits...there is no correspondence...the meaninglessness derives from its lack of achieving correspondent...the active element resides in the setence...the setence is what is searching for correspondence and not that which does n't exist.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 07:23 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
is the expression that in its meaninglessness fails to convey something valid...the non existence of something that it is posited in a sentence is not itself at fault, it is nothing, and nothing can be attributed to it, the sentence itself is that which fails to achieve correspondence !
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 07:27 am
@Chights47,
Quote:
You know the basic reply to this entire question doesn't really have anything to with truth or untruth. In a general sense everything is plausible. We only classify is as such within our minds to help explain the world around us. It all branches from the same exact thing (or nothing as it may be), however.

Even if we accept such for a moment...the lack of context resides in the insufficient clarification on the assertion itself...the fault is in the proposition and not in nothingness...
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 01:26 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
You have a funny way of trying to explain somethings you deem as impossible to comprehend.
Chights47

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:22 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Quote:

Even if we accept such for a moment...the lack of context resides in the insufficient clarification on the assertion itself...the fault is in the proposition and not in nothingness...

...and that what the hokey pokey is all about...
0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You have a funny way of trying to explain somethings you deem as impossible to comprehend.

We all do...doesn't keep us from bashing our heads against the walls...so to speak.
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:24 pm
@Chights47,
Headbashing is equally painful as headbanging, but infinitely more rewarding.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 04:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
quick reply habit and pocket pedagogy... Laughing