How do you pronounce d'Arsonval?

Chumly

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 04:16 pm
How do you pronounce d'Arsonval? What is the correct spelling? I've seen it in print as d'Arsonval and D'Arsonval, however it seems to me d'Arsonval is correct. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanometer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,210 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 04:36 pm
@Chumly,
I've always just said something like Dee Arsonval, using English pronunciatios. I'm sure if you ever nail the correct pronunciation, nobody will know what you are talking about.

At least, with a whetstone bridge, we are all speaking the same language.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 04:59 pm
Being Canadian, I do-should-might-don't-won't-will-shouldn't care about accurate French pronunciations. Oftentimes I have found audio examples of English words in online dictionaries, but not for frog techy terms.

Whetstone Bridge...Wheatstone Bridge...
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 03:40 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
How do you pronounce d'Arsonval?

The word is a French surname, and would be pronounced as if the apostrophe were not present. The Ar syllable is like the 'ar' of the English word 'art' ideally with a little trill of the 'r' which is probably asking too much of many English speakers especially non-rhotic ones. The 'n' is nasal and is not sounded like in the English word 'on', that is, the tip of the tongue should not ascend and touch the front of the palate. The 'val' syllable is probably best approximated to by the first syllable of the English word "valley", with the 'a' pronounced like in 'hat', 'cat', etc.

Quote:
What is the correct spelling? I've seen it in print as d'Arsonval and D'Arsonval, however it seems to me d'Arsonval is correct.

You are right. The initial 'd' in French surnames such as de Broglie, du Maurier, d'Arsonval should be a small one.

Chumly

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 02:12 pm
@contrex,
I am obliged!
0 Replies