Sewing, Fashion v Style, Clothes

Sat 9 Oct, 2010 11:28 am
I found this among my emails today:

http://store.sawyerbrook.com/Rittenhouse/productinfo/BR3803/

A metallic fiber is hellish to work with but this would make a magnificent bustier or a nice vest.

But who has an event to wear a bustier and the requisite velvet skirt to? It's too dressy for a dinner date, if anyone still does dinner dates.

I love beautiful clothes and my physical type is suited to tailoring. Today's clothes just don't work for me. Even if I had the figure for low rise pants, they're gawd awful uncomfortable to wear! I don't have a pierced belly button, so I don't need to wear dropped trousers. And I am sick of casual!

I have a blouse, a plain, oxford-cloth tailored blouse with a button-down collar. I know it is old: my mother bought it for me and she died in 1985. The reasons I never wore are many and boring to recount but it is tailored and skims the body unlike today's "blousy," even blowzy, shirts that never stay tucked in and always look a mess.

Sigh! Whatever happened to nice clothes and clothes for occasions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 2,443 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

farmerman

Tue 22 Nov, 2011 08:55 pm
@plainoldme,
I once had a corduroy suit. SO dont gimme this"I miss the old days in clothing" crap. I was a one man band when I walked down the street.
0 Replies

Mame

Wed 23 Nov, 2011 06:47 am
@plainoldme,
I bought a pair of pants at Le Chateau the other day that weren't low-rise! First ones I've seen in ages. What a find. They also had a tailored short-sleeved (I'm always hot) blouse that you can wear outside of pants - can't remember the last time I tucked a blouse in. I think you could also go to Reitman's or Laura Petites and find something for your body type.
plainoldme

Fri 25 Nov, 2011 10:15 pm
@Mame,
I've never heard of either Reitman's or Laura Petites.
0 Replies

marry345

Tue 26 Nov, 2013 12:31 pm
@plainoldme,
i never came to know about Laura Petites.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Wed 27 Nov, 2013 08:59 am
I dress from thrift shops. This fall, because I needed a grey skirt, I looked in the local Eileen Fisher boutique and saw a great skirt for $158. Then I went across the street and down the block to my favorite thrift (which also supports the local VA and a hospice) and bought two pencil skirts. One a grey tweed, just below the knee version from Pendleton and the other in magenta that is an inch above the knee from a European maker. Together, they were $8. I went back yesterday and bought a beautiful silver grey skirt, again just below the knee that is a tich big (prob with the length of darts) which has been in the shop long enough to be marked down to $2 and a long black skirt with a nice tailored waist band, unlike the one I own with the dead elastic waist . . . another complaint of mine.
0 Replies