Call 911.... I Was Just Struck By A Thought

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 06:31 am
If I've learned anything in my life it's that nothing bad lasts, no injury, doesn't heal, no hurt doesn't become manageable, no loss can't be recovered from..... but can you imagine the grey and joyless place this world would become if we woke up tomorrow and there was no more music?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,137 • Replies: 8

dadpad

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 06:43 am
Are you sure?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 07:07 am
Not his best work.... but remember he also wrote "You deserve a break today so get up and get away to Mcdonalds." Classic. timeless.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 10:19 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
BVT without music the world would B flat.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 08:27 pm
That will never happen, not while I'm alive. My husband of 48 years tried, yesterday, to tell me how he reads music (he's been singing and/or blowing a trumpet all his life). Haven't a clue what he was talking about. He said you are born with the ability to learn. Music, any kind of, does amazing things in the minds of most all people. Why, we would all be insane without music..
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 09:34 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
It would be almost as bad as a world with no books. Okay, as bad.
0 Replies

niecydeecee

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:20 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

nothing bad lasts, no injury, doesn't heal, no hurt doesn't become manageable, no loss can't be recovered from.....

I think that's an awesome philosophy to live by. A testament to the human ability to heal, and music plays such a strong role in the healing process. I know I run to my iPod when I am I need of a pick me up so I think you're dead on Smile
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:52 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

If I've learned anything in my life it's that nothing bad lasts, no injury, doesn't heal, no hurt doesn't become manageable, no loss can't be recovered from..... but can you imagine the grey and joyless place this world would become if we woke up tomorrow and there was no more music?

What about people who are deaf? They don't seem grey or joyless in general.

What did people do before electricity/batteries made music available non stop 24/7?
Where they grey and joyless?

Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, music is in the eye of the listener.

Please don't tell me you feel sorry for me bear, because it would be condescending, but what much of what some/many call music I hear as distruptive noise.

I don't argue that most people enjoy music much more than I, and enjoy a much bigger variety. That's not saying that my preference for quiet is wrong.
I personally get much joy out of quiet activites. That fills my soul more than music ever could.
If given a choice between going to a concert, synphony, listening to music on the radio, or cd/ipod, and sitting under a tree in the woods, feeling the cool breeze and watching the leaves move about, there's no competition.

Nature makes its own music. Not all of it is audible.
I'd much rather see the love in the eyes of another person, or gaze at an animal just being, than to listen to man made notes.
I hear the rhythems of a needle passing through cloth, the soft whisk of a page being turned in a book, the sizzle of food being prepared. I see the rich colors, red, gold, cobalt, purple, and get so happy and fulfilled.

Nothing wrong with music for those who enjoy it. It's just not something everyone enjoys.
Pemerson

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 04:43 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

What about people who are deaf? They don't seem grey or joyless in general.

What did people do before electricity/batteries made music available non stop 24/7?
Where they grey and joyless?

Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, music is in the eye of the listener.

Please don't tell me you feel sorry for me bear, because it would be condescending, but what much of what some/many call music I hear as distruptive noise.

I don't argue that most people enjoy music much more than I, and enjoy a much bigger variety. That's not saying that my preference for quiet is wrong.
I personally get much joy out of quiet activites. That fills my soul more than music ever could.
If given a choice between going to a concert, synphony, listening to music on the radio, or cd/ipod, and sitting under a tree in the woods, feeling the cool breeze and watching the leaves move about, there's no competition.

Nature makes its own music. Not all of it is audible.
I'd much rather see the love in the eyes of another person, or gaze at an animal just being, than to listen to man made notes.
I hear the rhythems of a needle passing through cloth, the soft whisk of a page being turned in a book, the sizzle of food being prepared. I see the rich colors, red, gold, cobalt, purple, and get so happy and fulfilled.

Nothing wrong with music for those who enjoy it. It's just not something everyone enjoys.

Interesting. I grew up surrounded by many children but could always find a spot where I could read in silence of a sort. After dad remarried, the stepmother would become very nervous when people were in the house or the radio was on. I spent most of my time at my friends' houses but also grew used to silence. Wonder why my h.s. graduation gift from them was a record player. At the time, late fifties, the first crazy music to hit the scene was called "Cat Music.)

I was probably in my 30's before I could stand to have music going when reading, thinking, sewing, painting, most anything.

My kids, however, were part of the music generation (1970s, 1980s). I grew accustomed to their incessant loud music, learned to like it. We are grandparents now, and music is a part of our life, but I also like to sit in silence and listen to allthose birds outside. If I hear my favorite bird (the wren) I run to see if she/he is sitting on her/his birdhouse's perch. As they sit there they sing their little hearts out, just like canaries.
0 Replies