http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/158224|top|12-10-2003::05:12|reuters.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 954 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 04:38 pm
Hmmm...That does muddy the waters a bit, doesn't it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 10:36 am
Just see if they get any juicy contracts to help rebuild Midland, Texas, after Georgie is out of office . . .
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 12:17 pm
I think it's about time that Taiwan finally tells the world what everyone knows, but is afraid to say outloud for fear of upsetting the ChiComs.

Taiwan is a free and independent country and should be proud to proclaim it from the highest mountaintop.
0 Replies

jaying

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 07:17 am
Taiwan is not a part of China!
Taiwan is an independent country and we must let the world to know! Smile
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 07:38 am
Bush is obviously a commie lover and more concerned with the money from a billion potential customers than standing up for what's right. What a worthless piece of scum that putrid little f**k is.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 08:22 am
The Chinese are among the most calculating human beings on the planet Earth.

Neither side is going to paint themselves into a corner -- and both sides know how to word things in a way that makes it look as though something is being said -- when it really ain't.

This game has a very, very long way to go -- and my guess at the moment is that Taiwan will one day beg to be re-admitted to the mainland, because mainland China will more than likely one day be billed as "one of the world's only two super powers" -- if not "the world's only super power."

China is on the move big-time!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 08:48 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

How very charming, Frank.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 09:41 am
Setanta wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

How very charming, Frank.

Yep, that figures. I'm a very charming guy!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 09:45 am
With reference to that bit of specious prejudice, i would refer you to your comment to me in the thread i started on tribalism.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 10:59 am
Setanta wrote:
With reference to that bit of specious prejudice, i would refer you to your comment to me in the thread i started on tribalism.

Wake up!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 11:02 am
Right, Frank . . . of course, your idea of "waking up" means that i would agree with whatever you write, huh?

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 12:07 pm
I've a Chinese-American friend, and she's not calculating at all. Smart, but hardly Machiavellian. Perhaps she's the exception that proves the rule?
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 02:26 pm
We tend to focus on the Middle East and neglect the issue of China. The fact is - with about 1/6th of the worlds population and an exploding economy - China is the next superpower, and frankly, the biggest and only real threat to the current American economic and military domination of the world.

The Chinese know the tables are turning in thier favor, and they are not quesy about flexing thier muscles. Remember, a few years ago, when America asked them to de-value thier currency or face the consequences. They basically told us "No, do whatever you want, we don't need you anyway." And, they are right - China doesn't need America.

With regards to the 'calculating' nature of the Chinese: I wouldn't say they are neccessarily calculating, but there is no disputing that the Chinese have an esteemed history that puts Western and Islamic civilizations to shame. This is often forgotten because, unlike the West and Islam, Chinese civilization was never ecumenical in its appraoch to world affairs.
0 Replies