Fido

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 10:16 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Fido wrote:

Yes... Passing is such sweet sorrow... Bye; Keeps it civil...

If you're going to quote The Bard, clown, at least try to get it right: p a r t i n g is such sweet sorrow, fare thee well until the morrow.

You are right, and I know you are right and I knew I was doing it wrong when I spit it out and moved on with my life, forgetting to go back and correct my error.. Thanks for painting the red nose on me... Why don't you ever take yours off???
hayesatlbch

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 10:27 pm
People who haven't been reasoned into a position can not be reasoned out of it.

Faith and prejudice are the 2 most obvious examples but there are many subjects that require a certain minimum of information before an informed position can be taken. When people reach firm conclusions without the required minimum amount of information needed, it frustrates the more thoughtful and informed people to discuss the subject.

People need to know what they don't know if they are ever going to learn anything.
Fido

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 10:01 am
@hayesatlbch,
hayesatlbch wrote:

People who haven't been reasoned into a position can not be reasoned out of it.

Faith and prejudice are the 2 most obvious examples but there are many subjects that require a certain minimum of information before an informed position can be taken. When people reach firm conclusions without the required minimum amount of information needed, it frustrates the more thoughtful and informed people to discuss the subject.

People need to know what they don't know if they are ever going to learn anything.

Reason is extremely ineffective at changing minds... If you want to change people, change the way they feel about things, change the way they feel about themselves... Consider that people are true to what they know, or think they know as truth, and that sense of truth is often walled off from reality, and you cannot challenge a portion of it without the whole person feeling threatened... If you can get a person to listen to your version of truth in a respectful manor, offered with respect, there is a chance that the person will take it into their being, and displace some older version of reality... Art is more effective than argument because it talks to the irrational in all people that is their driving force... The reason is all defense, but the emotions are always open to art- that is beyond reason, that appeals to the primal, the instinctual in human kind...

Sure, people need to know what they don't know; but how is that possible??? All people can do is get a sense of their own ignorance which very often is the ignorance of human kind... There is little we can know, mostly about physical nature... That is not the world we live in... Our lives are lived in relationships bounded by moral forms, and there we are guided by emotions... Our lives are lived little by knowledge... We must think according to what we know, but day to day, hour by hour we live in our emotions, and by the braille method, feeling our way through life...
Ceili

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 11:14 am
I aim to be civil but when I'm not, it's usually a response in kind. I do and will react the same way in person.
0 Replies

55hikky

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 12:14 pm
@dyslexia,
are you crazy, the entire essence, the thelos, the nature of a2k is for people who have absolutely no grip on life to impose their opinion to other people that have lost their rational. Stop taking our fun away!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 12:17 pm
If the delivery were rather shaky, the sentiment is certainly something i can support.

(Yes, the Dys is crazy . . . which doesn't mean he's not a nice guy.)
0 Replies

55hikky

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 12:20 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
u should never post anything that require deep thought here unless it is about religion for there are a few very credible theists and atheists here that can give very thorough and insightful arguments for both sides.
Anything else will be perverted with mindless people rushing to urinate their presence into a topic.
55hikky

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 12:21 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:

Fido wrote:

Yes... Passing is such sweet sorrow... Bye; Keeps it civil...

If you're going to quote The Bard, clown, at least try to get it right: p a r t i n g is such sweet sorrow, fare thee well until the morrow.

You are right, and I know you are right and I knew I was doing it wrong when I spit it out and moved on with my life, forgetting to go back and correct my error.. Thanks for painting the red nose on me... Why don't you ever take yours off???

lol very civil
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 12:22 pm
@55hikky,
Much like your post... next.
55hikky

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 12:26 pm
@Fido,
I can't believe I actually learned something in this website. Very insightful and well thought out. If there was a paypal account for a donation to you I would pay you for the lesson you have taught me today. Thank you and I hope your endeavors will continue to shed light to this corrupt world.
-55hikky
55hikky

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 12:29 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Much like your post... next.

....yes ceili...thank you for clarifying the irony and joke for everyone else that didn't get the hypocrisy...
Everyone that didn't see the joke thumbs up for ceili
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 02:51 pm
@55hikky,
55hikky wrote:

I can't believe I actually learned something in this website. Very insightful and well thought out. If there was a paypal account for a donation to you I would pay you for the lesson you have taught me today. Thank you and I hope your endeavors will continue to shed light to this corrupt world.
-55hikky

Ruff ruff. wag wag..
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 08:54 pm
@Fido,
I'm having trouble with a2k, is it just me?
Fido

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 09:06 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm having trouble with a2k, is it just me?

Socrates had trouble with Athens, but you don't see me sucking down any sympathy hemlock flavored milkshakes... They have trouble figuring things out some times, and paradigm shifts can be as much fun for the shifter as a turd in a blender... Hang in there.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 09:19 pm
@Fido,
No, no, re the mechanics of a2k. I did have some circumstances evolve, perhaps.

You're a babe, Fido. I'm not as much a brat to you as others. Just wait.

laughoutlood

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 10:45 pm
@dyslexia,
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/talking-through-your-hat.html
Meaning

Talk nonsense; especially on a subject that one professes to be knowledgeable about but in fact is ignorant of.

Origin
This began life in the USA, in the late 19th century, with a slightly different meaning from the present one. It then meant to bluster. Farmer and Henley Slang and Its Analogues, 1888:

"Dis is only a bluff dey're makin' - see! Dey're talkin' tru dere hats"
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 03:54 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

No, no, re the mechanics of a2k. I did have some circumstances evolve, perhaps.

You're a babe, Fido. I'm not as much a brat to you as others. Just wait.

I neither look for it, nor shy away from it.... You know, I get two things a lot from people, and one is my method of communicating ideas, and the other is that I am stupid and don't know what I am talking about... I get offended by the second even though that is the point I am most often trying to make: That in Moral forms and Moral reality knowledge is impossible, or so general as to be meaningless, so they are right, that I do not know.... Relatively speaking I am not stupid, but rather, uneducated...

Of the charge that my communication skills are lacking, I must agree, and it is because my subject of choice demands an effort to be understood, and people must step out of their comfort zones to discuss morals, and then in talking of them it is rather more like painting than writing because meaning is layered on like successive coats of paint rather than directly legible with the first stroke... So, while I do not suffer fools in silence it is not that I make claim to being anything other.... While we like to think of philosophers as great individualist they are anything but, and all of us work with the same material handed to us by the past, and we all fashion together some legitimate narrative of our existence... It is a team sport, and no team I would ever select would have me on it... I am not the sharpest pencil in the box, but the dullest crayon... I have something to offer, and I know I do...

I am blind as Nietzsche was blind, seeing in a dfferent way what others see not at all because they are blind to subtle distinctions that I am not... I let myself get frustrated with the very people I need to have understand... There was some Persion who once said that trying to educate a worthless person is like bouncing pebbles off a dome... I have to learn with some, not to bother... I have to recognize that pebbles to one are boulders to others...
0 Replies