Why are people thinking Obama can magically create jobs out of this air.

georgeob1

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:10 am
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

It astounding to me how people seem to think that Mr. Obama doesn't get it, or he needs a kick in the ass to get his attention. Do you really think he's stupid? Out of touch? Do you honestly think that this brilliant man, who cut his teeth on the political streets of Chicago, doesn't have a clue what's going on? Get real. That's just more media-driven hoo-hah, created on a slow news day.

Sometimes the effects of the kool Aid can be very long-lasting indeed.
eoe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:28 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

eoe wrote:

It astounding to me how people seem to think that Mr. Obama doesn't get it, or he needs a kick in the ass to get his attention. Do you really think he's stupid? Out of touch? Do you honestly think that this brilliant man, who cut his teeth on the political streets of Chicago, doesn't have a clue what's going on? Get real. That's just more media-driven hoo-hah, created on a slow news day.

Sometimes the effects of the kool Aid can be very long-lasting indeed.

Seems to me the effects can take over pretty quickly when fed on a daily basis to a nation of fickle sheep.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:31 am
@georgeob1,
Mr Obama doesn't "get it." He passed health care reform at a time when it will increase the federal deficit, and more people lose their jobs and homes. He didn't bother to include the necessary cost saving regulations into Obamacare. That's dumb.

Obama is not that smart when it comes to political decisions. His expansion of the war in Afghanistan is another dumb move by this president. Where did he ever learn his lesson that our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan help US security?

Afghanistan and the Taliban are the world communities responsibility. Obama doesn't even understand logistics. We are not the world's police; it's mathematically and logistically impossible for the US to fight all the wars of this world.

I also challenged both Greenspan and Bernanke on their monetary policies at a time most thought these guys were gods. They're doing everything ass-backwards when our economy continues to suffer, and it makes it cheaper for our government to borrow money to increase the national debt when they should be doing the exact opposite.

Yeah, I believe Obama, Greenspan, and Bernanke are all dumb.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Mr Obama doesn't "get it." He passed health care reform at a time when it will increase the federal deficit, and more people lose their jobs and homes. That's dumb.

What? The CBO and other analysts have shown that the HCR bill DECREASES the deficit by a substantial amount over the next decade.

The part about Afghanistan is spot on...

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:34 am
@Cycloptichorn,
When has the government ever provided accurate cost figures? Can you provide us with some examples?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:41 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

When has the government ever provided accurate cost figures? Can you provide us with some examples?

Why can you assert that it adds to the deficit, but you don't trust the numbers that say it lowers the deficit? What are you basing your assessment on?

We have to go off of SOMETHING...

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:49 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Having to "go off on something" doesn't provide confidence in how inaccuracy is most often the case.

There are better ways to implement social programs than the method used by the feds. Trying to find solutions in a global manner such as universal health care should be implemented in steps to determine how they perform before adding more to the system. It's a complex system that requires the inclusion of cost savings processes and procedures before they can load up the system. Obamacare only insures adding cost for those 32 million more patients. How the government can tell us it will reduce cost belongs on the laffer curve.

Adding 32 million more patients to a health care system already maxed out is not a good decision. How is the current system supposed to handle 32 million more patients without more doctors, nurses, and other health care workers?

Yeah, that's dumb.
georgeob1

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:51 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Let us ask a simple question, George, and see if you can answer it while also maintaining the party line: As there have been MANY boom-bust cycles in housing in the past, what exposed our nations largest banks and financial trading houses to this risk? What financial product lead to the immense investment in Mortgages, an unprecedented investment, that we saw? What was different THIS time from previous times?

I do not believe you will be able to answer this question, without proving both to yourself and to the readers of this thread that there was a definite factor which was responsible for our financial crisis that cannot be explained away by mutterings about the housing market's cyclical nature, or blaming the government. But I'd love to see you have a go at it.

Cycloptichorn

The current recession in this country and throughout much of the world is largely the result of cyclical factors, and augmented in various parts of the world by significant local considerations. For the United States and many nations of Western Europe, the collapse an asset bubble involving housing and property values was a main driver. In addition, particularly in Europe, overleveraged, undercapitalized banks played a role, as did the combination of bloated social welfare programs, over-regulated labor markets and demographic changes (fewer workers) that worsened the other effects. Demographic changes involving the retirements of baby boomers in the United States also played a part.

Economic recessions and collapsing asset bubbles are hardly new. They are a reoccurring fact of economic history. The unusual fact about the current recession – and the main problem we face today - is its persistence and the very slow recovery that has followed it. Indeed it is not clear that in The United States and several European nations we will fully recover any time soon: global balances of economic power are changing.

If your question is simply why did Lehman Brothers fall, then I'll grant you that the collapse in the credit default swap market was a main culprit. However, to infer, as you do, that this was the sole, or even the main reason for our current recession and, even more to the point, our unusually slow recovery from it, defies the facts.

The CDS market collapse had very little to do with the banking failures in Latvia, Estonia, Ireland, Iceland or the very serious challenges faced by banks in the UK, France, and Germany (most of their bad assets or loans were local). It had nothing to do with the collapsing property & construction bubble in Spain and the bloated government programs there that have slowed recovery. It had nothing to do with the financial crisis in Greece that has further endangered European banks and the Union's currency & financial systems.

More to the point here the CDS market was only one of several factors that fed excessive capital into an expanding property bubble in this country. The steadily increasing securitization of mortgage loans by Fannie and Freddy, which endlessly recapitalized lenders and separated them from the ultimate performance of the long term loans they were making; and the Community Reinvestment Act, which set arbitrary quotas for loans in certain zip codes to advance social goals, also played equally important parts. A very good argument can be made to support the proposition that the emergence of the CDS market itself was an after-the-fact reaction (albeit inadequate and illusory) of financial markets to the earlier and unwise policies of the government in driving capital towards the mortgage market, which themselves were the driver in the eventual collapse.

Obama's main failure was in his decision to carry on with his prepackaged political and environmental agenda in the midst of a serious cyclical economic reversal. Instead of facing this fact and adjusting course, he has chosen to endlessly recite the mantra of his inheritance of an economic mess – asking us in effect to also blame his predecessor for his own ineptitude in dealing with the situation before him (and to exclude his own political party, which then controlled the Congress, from association with its causes).
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Having to "go off on something" doesn't provide confidence in how inaccuracy is most often the case.

There are better ways to implement social programs than the method used by the feds. Trying to find solutions in a global manner such as universal health care should be implemented in steps to determine how they perform before adding more to the system.

That sounds nice, but an interconnected system requires several different pieces to be in place or it simply doesn't work. You can't do complicated things piecemeal, because the pieces rely upon each other.

Quote:
Adding 32 million more patients to a health care system already maxed out is not a good decision. How is the current system supposed to handle 32 million more patients without more doctors, nurses, and other health care workers?

Yeah, that's dumb.

hah - those patients were already part of the health care system. We were already paying for them. It's foolish to think otherwise; these folks simply wait until there is an emergency, get that treated at a huge cost, and then default on the medical debts. That's hardly preferable to the system just put in place.

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:56 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
He set the bar, and since he didnt live up to his own words, he is now paying for it.

Myteryman is right on this point, despite all the "down" votes he's getting for this statement and the ones he followed it up with. Obama may or may not have had better options to deal with the crisis. (I think he did, but that's another discussion.) But the point is, his economic record falls short of the expectations that he'd had his press people raise about him. (His own statements were always more guarded.) Even if no other president could have done a better job than Obama, his falling short of expectations would be a perfectly understandable reason for voters to be disappointed.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:57 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You're wrong on all accounts. Most middle class families who lost jobs and their homes held back going to the hospital when sick, because they knew they no longer had health insurance. They also knew they didn't have the money to pay the doctor for medical care.

You must live in another country.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:59 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:

If your question is simply why did Lehman Brothers fall, then I'll grant you that the collapse in the credit default swap market was a main culprit. However, to infer, as you do, that this was the sole, or even the main reason for our current recession and, even more to the point, our unusually slow recovery from it, defies the facts.

Snort - Lehman Brothers? It wasn't just them, George, and they weren't even the major problem. Try addressing the failure of AIG without coming to the conclusion that the Credit Default Swap market wasn't the culprit here. And go ahead and wrap in an explanation for Bear Stearns, Citigroup, Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase, and all the other big trading houses - who traditionally had NOTHING to do with mortgages at all - without showing the key factor that linked all these groups and allowed them to get to this point.

The unregulated Credit Default Swap market, and the disaster which followed the revelation that it was a sham, was THE primary factor leading to our financial crisis. The connecting factor that links all these disparate groups, and the reason why credit seized up. It is entirely fair to say that without the existence of the CDS, or with regulation of that market (which the Bush SEC consciously chose not to do), there would have been no wide-ranging financial crisis in America - period; only a more limited housing crisis, but, as you say, that's happened plenty of times in the past.

Your assertions that the CDS market failure was not all that important is simply false. It doesn't match the facts of the situation in the slightest.

Quote:

Obama's main failure was in his decision to carry on with his prepackaged political and environmental agenda in the midst of a serious cyclical economic reversal. Instead of facing this fact and adjusting course

Okay, great. As I said above: what should he have done differently, and why would it have worked?

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 12:00 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

Seems to me the effects can take over pretty quickly when fed on a daily basis to a nation of fickle sheep.

Perhaps our noble president needs to find a nation with better sheep.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 12:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You have merely repeated you erlier mantra, this time louder.

Read my post again. I answered your latest question there.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 12:06 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

You have merely repeated you earlier mantra, this time louder.

I could have said the exact same thing about your last post, George. You introduced no new information or logic to support your position; just re-asserted your favorite assertions over and over agai.

I pointed out the fact that the explanation you gave doesn't hold water; it doesn't explain how the financial crisis affected our major lending institutions. You aren't connecting the dots in the slightest, and ignoring the significant errors with your account when they are pointed out to you.

If you aren't willing to discuss errors with your theory, what the hell is the point in talking to you? It's not good enough for you to just assert that you are right and everyone else is wrong. You should be able to show it using evidence. But the evidence you present doesn't explain what happened at all.

I'll ask again, a simple question: if it wasn't for the CDS market, how would all of our large financial institutions become exposed to the housing crisis?

Quote:

Read my post again. I answered your latest question there.

Nah, you didn't. Specifically point out where you did, if you think that you did.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 01:01 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
bloated social welfare programs, over-regulated

GWB was the one to promote Home Ownership which is the worst social welfare program and it is under-regulation or maybe lack of enforcement of existing regulation that caused the financial meltdown. The overreaching Wall Street influence worldwide is felt everywhere. In Canada, Lehman Bros. provided loans to many mega condominium projects that had to be canceled when the Lehman went bankrupt.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 02:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Mr Obama doesn't "get it." He passed health care reform at a time when it will increase the federal deficit, and more people lose their jobs and homes. He didn't bother to include the necessary cost saving regulations into Obamacare. That's dumb.

Obama is not that smart when it comes to political decisions. His expansion of the war in Afghanistan is another dumb move by this president. Where did he ever learn his lesson that our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan help US security?

Afghanistan and the Taliban are the world communities responsibility. Obama doesn't even understand logistics. We are not the world's police; it's mathematically and logistically impossible for the US to fight all the wars of this world.

I also challenged both Greenspan and Bernanke on their monetary policies at a time most thought these guys were gods. They're doing everything ass-backwards when our economy continues to suffer, and it makes it cheaper for our government to borrow money to increase the national debt when they should be doing the exact opposite.

Yeah, I believe Obama, Greenspan, and Bernanke are all dumb.

Do you think it is in some respect better for individuals to go broke trying to keep their health and health insurance and lives while the economy and government are doing great??? Public health is a public problem and one we should all deal with together, and if it is too expensive then tax the profit out of it, and by that I don't mean bloat it up with highly paid relatives sitting on the assess picking up paychecks for nothing... I mean; Make Certain people are paid enough to afford their health, make certain people are not poisoned as the price of having a job or an address, and make certain people pay for all risky behavior without a general benefit... I worked at a risky profession and my boss paid for workman's comp insurance at a high rate because of the risk, and that risk and cost was one of the things that had to be accounted for in the price of the product... What if some one wants to low ball all the costs by enderestimating the costs the wages and the benefits, and then throws his employers on the public health system when they get injured... Because as we have become a society without health insurance the cost gets paid by fewer and fewer providers who must pick up the cost for all who cannot pay... If government said: Everyone self employed and everyone employed must ahve insurance then the cost would be spread...Certainly, if they taxed all who made their millions shorting their workers and denying them living wages, benefit, retirement and insurance, and who then closed up and exported capital hopeing to import products to sell in our dying market, then there would be no problem... You see, even primitives had to make enough to support themselves into old age, and they too had to pay for their healing... If we have been reduced to a hand to mouth existence to have a handful, 1%, living like Gods with more than they could ever use; then it is time to take it all back... The only reason there is a deficit is that the government refuses to tax those who have actually known some benefit from the economy and government...

With that said, I agree that they are all dumb... They are formally educated and they let their ideas think for them instead of using their ideas to think... They are all prejudiced and cannot judge capitalism for the failure it is..
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 02:44 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Quote:
Do you think it is in some respect better for individuals to go broke trying to keep their health and health insurance and lives while the economy and government are doing great???

Our federal and local governments are not doing great! Our economy currently has some 25 million folks unemployed; that's not a sign of a good economy.

Quote:
Public health is a public problem and one we should all deal with together, and if it is too expensive then tax the profit out of it, and by that I don't mean bloat it up with highly paid relatives sitting on the assess picking up paychecks for nothing... I mean; Make Certain people are paid enough to afford their health, make certain people are not poisoned as the price of having a job or an address, and make certain people pay for all risky behavior without a general benefit...

All good points, except for the reality that taking away the profit motive will reduce quality. If you have kept up with the news on company sponsored health care, you would know that a greater portion of their premiums are being transferred to the worker while their salaries remain stagnant – and the CEOs and officers rake in millions in salaries and bonus. Greed has taken over our economy.

Quote:
I worked at a risky profession and my boss paid for workman's comp insurance at a high rate because of the risk, and that risk and cost was one of the things that had to be accounted for in the price of the product... What if some one wants to low ball all the costs by enderestimating the costs the wages and the benefits, and then throws his employers on the public health system when they get injured...

I'm aware of how workers comp premiums work, because I worked in management for most of my working career.

That's the danger with Obamacare: Many company administrators have threatened to pay the $2,500 penalty for not providing health insurance, and load their workers onto the federal mandated system.

Quote:
Because as we have become a society without health insurance the cost gets paid by fewer and fewer providers who must pick up the cost for all who cannot pay... If government said: Everyone self employed and everyone employed must ahve insurance then the cost would be spread...Certainly, if they taxed all who made their millions shorting their workers and denying them living wages, benefit, retirement and insurance, and who then closed up and exported capital hopeing to import products to sell in our dying market, then there would be no problem... You see, even primitives had to make enough to support themselves into old age, and they too had to pay for their healing... If we have been reduced to a hand to mouth existence to have a handful, 1%, living like Gods with more than they could ever use; then it is time to take it all back... The only reason there is a deficit is that the government refuses to tax those who have actually known some benefit from the economy and government...

I don't have any challenge for your above thesis; governments operate at the level of incompetence that are allowed by us voters. We have met the enemey, and...
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 03:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

That's the danger with Obamacare: Many company administrators have threatened to pay the $2,500 penalty for not providing health insurance, and load their workers onto the federal mandated system.

Let them do this! It's a win-win for us every time this happens. If enough companies would do this, we could do away with the parasitic for-profit HC insurance industry altogether.

Cycloptichorn
squinney

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 03:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Ha! Exactly what I've been thinking for the past couple of weeks.

0 Replies