Why are people thinking Obama can magically create jobs out of this air.

squinney

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 06:32 pm
@mysteryman,
The original poster (Talk) that you responded to may have been referring to the elder George Bush.
mysteryman

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 10:00 pm
@squinney,
Thats possible, but I wasnt sure and didnt want to assume anything.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 05:15 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Quote:
I am not saying people are consitently anything, but rather, that in a small district concerns are likely to be the same among neighbors

Then how do you explain signs supporting an incumbent governor on the lawn of the house next door to the one sporting a sign for the Tea Totalitarian challenger?

I am saying concerns... People can vote for different people for exactly the same reasons; and how often do we vote according to our religious denominations, or against some candidate... I see some districts drawn from the inner city giving overwhelming support to a black candidate, and many other districts drawn part urban when that is democratic, and majority rural when that is primarily conservative or reactionary...I don't care if everyone has a representative, but I hate if districts are drawn so large and with such diversity that they are bound to deny people a voice however muted at the political table... An election should not be the end of the discussion, but the beginning... A safe district is one with a consistent 5% majority for one party or the other... What does that do for those denied representation, and for their sense of inclusion??? People can go for many years without a chance of having a representative of their choice, and that means they must rely on national parties and lobbying to affect government and these both mean buying what should already be bought with taxes, and that is access to government... We could instantly double representatives from every district... If we wanted to, we could have every state representative do double duty in D C... The problem is not a want of money in politics, but a want of good ideas or reason which can not always be counted on from numbers; but for a start, two heads are better than one...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 05:24 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

bush was the handpicked candidate of his party. He served as governor for a term and a half, which is hardly experience in my book. I frankly prefer that presidents come from the Senate where they actually have experience with law.

Law as a form is a huge part of the problem... After a thousand years of effort toward making Western Law the masters of all our communities we have no less of war, and no less of crime, and a great deal more injustice than any primitive person would accept... Abalard said that Jus, Justice is the Genus, and Lex, law is a species of it... With these failed social forms, government and law, there is a disconnect from the very real need for justice in every life because it is essential for life... People making laws without regard to justice, because they have the power, or because their class will benefit from it, or because their ideology justifies it are missing the entire point of the form they are in, and the form, law, that is not law at all if justice does not come out of it... We have too much law and not enough justice...Every single one of our political problems, and our disolution as a society can be tied to this one essential need...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 05:34 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Because everyone has the right to their own opinions about who to vote for.

Not really... Everyone has the right to express any sort of stupidity in this country, but some opinions commonly accepted by the right if played out, put into effect, and reduced to their final result are no less than treason... No one wants to be impolite when it is possible to change minds and rhectify behavior... If we bring some honesty to the discussion, and tell things as they are, then clearly we have one class feeding on the others, and it has been killing people for a long time, and wasting others, injuring them and cutting their lives short... Some ways of thinking result in lives hated and robbed of meaning; so don't tell me that those advocating injury such as I have seen, and any can see if they will only open their eyes have the right to their opinions... Good is what we should expect of others and demand, and good can be seen in the fruit of a person's thoughts, just as evil... We should hold people to account...
0 Replies