Why are people thinking Obama can magically create jobs out of this air.

Fido

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 07:42 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I think it matters more what leaders do rather than what they say. So far Obama's record of doing the things that the real situation before him calls for, as opposed to doing things that worsen it, is pretty poor. Pressing for comprehensive health care reform in the midst of a serious cyclical recession wasn't a good idea for the country's welfare. It may well have been the right or indeed the only moment for passing this controversial legislation from a political perspective - Democrat majorities such as exist now aren't likely to continue in the Congress - but from the perspective of the general good, it weas a serious error. I don't know what Obama really thinks or understands, however the facts suggest he is either a cynical politician; a committed progressive idealogue; or seriously lacking in an understanding of basic economics - or perhaps a bit of all three. The rather quick and dramatic shift in public perceptions should tell you something.

Alternatively perhaps the public is fickle and stupid, unable to detect a great leader when they see one. Tha, however, isn't a very sound idea for one who believes in democracy.

You forget that the public is essentially powerless, so they can be kept stupid... If we had true choice instead of the secondary choice of some personality we must trust with too much power, again, out of no choice any of us has made, or been allowed to make, what can we do about it??? The parties have divided their districts to balance equally those for an against one party or another, giving a slight edge to one party, deliberately denying to approximately half the people representation of the party of their choice... This was a party choice, and reason would say that all people should be represented in congress, for and against... If you cut every house district in half there would still be only one representative for every 300K... Since the figure the constitution suggests is no more than one for every 30K which would allow for an almost direct democracy by comparison, how have we allowed the parties to manage our democracy outside of the constitution, making extra constitutional changes that have drastically effected the quality of our government, and our ability to reach out representatives and make them do our bidding??? We had no choice... Even the parties are not provided for in our constitution, but they have bent government everywhere to their wants rather than our needs... Since they have the power and we have none, where is the reason they should educated us, or give us anything good, protect our rights, hear our demands???

You must understand that party animals surviving by slight majorities in deeply divided districts cannot possibly be leaders, but are invariably followers... They must first follow the rich who will give them the money to sway the majority and to maligne the other party's candidate... Then they must follow the will of the most radical extreme of their own party who can replace them in the primaries and divide the whole country into extremes...

Districts should be parted out, representatives should be increased geometrically, and districts should be made smaller... A "leader" could be a leader if he represented 95% of his district, and if he had 95% of his district behind him... Division has been sown to make the people powerless, and it has worked to make representives powerless and fearful of the population...

Parties should be made illegal and must be if we expect to make our form of government actually work for the country. I do not think it is possible, and yet possible of not, it must be done... The parties are an unconstitutional impediment to the will of the people...
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 10:16 am
@georgeob1,
Oh noez! Obama refuses to follow the other party's advice on what the correct steps to take to solve crises that we find ourselves faced with! He must be a cynical idiot for not doing so.

Rolling Eyes

Where does your confidence in the solutions that you call 'doing the things that the real situation before him calls for,' stem from? When have YOUR proposed solutions ever worked? What historical data set are your drawing from to make these judgments?

Quote:
The rather quick and dramatic shift in public perceptions should tell you something.

What dramatic shift? Obama's approval numbers have been remarkably stable this year and the HC numbers have been as well. His approval ratings are 30 points higher than anyone in the Republican party in national office. The Dem party itself is rated far higher than the Republican party in national polls.

What are you referring to? The angry bleating of fools in front of cameras during the HC reform fight? The recent rebranding of Republicans as 'Tea Partiers?'

Cycloptichorn
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 10:25 am
@Fido,
Fido, I agree that Parties are doing more harm than good at this time and frequently throughout our history. I assume that's the reason Parties were not included in the Constitution.

How method would you suggest to govern without Parties?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 11:20 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo, you have a remarkable ability to imagine favorable (to your point of view) distortions of the references others make, and then to work yourself up into a twist about it. If you don't think that the difference between Obama's general popularity shortly after the election and the situation today is a "dramatic shift" then I don't know what to make of your perceptions. True, I didn't specify the specific points of comparison, but I think they were obvious in terms of the change to which I referred. To then shift the comparison to changes over the last few months and act indignant about it indicates either an unwillingness to face facts or very shifty debating tactics.

Several months ago you asserted that the passage of the health care act would lead to the development of irresistable public support for President Obama and his Democrat allies. The fact is that hasn't happened, at least so far. On the contrary the Democrats stand to lose far more seats in the Congress in the coming election than could have reasonably been forecast when the health care act was passed.

Much of the huge body of new administrative regulations called for in the act has not yet been revealed, but businesses and health insurers all over the country are already reacting to what can be seen. Businesses (mine included) are considering reducing coverage amounts and options for their employees, and insurers are raising prices and restricting the coverage products they will offer. So far the Administration's reaction to these financially prudent and appropriate actions has been hostile and occasionally angry. All this gives the lie to Obama's bland rhetorical assurances that "If you like your current insurance, you will be able to keep it".

The increasingly tiresome excuses ,coming from Democrat apologists, that they inherited a mess are having the opposite effect intended in many areas. Perople understand that one who, after pouring gasoline on a spreading fire, offers the excuse that he didn't start it, either doesn't understand or is lying.

You have repeatedly offered the superficial and deceptive description of the recession that beset most of the world's economies as the result of the collapse of the credit default swap market among a few financial companies in this country. That is simply false and somewhat like saying that the collapse of the World Trade Center Towers was the result of defective thermal insulation on the floor support structure. Strictly speaking both statements are true, but both equally ignore the salient, real causes. The two towers were deliberately struck by fully fueled 400,000 lb airliners flying at 350Kts. The recession that started in the late fall of 2007 was the result of the collapse of a housing and real property bubble that extended from Latvia to Iceland, the U.S., Spain, the UK , Ireland and many other countries. It was also fed (in Europe particularly) by the collapse of bloated and unsustainable government social welfare programs and a significant demographic change - the ageing and retirement of a bulging generation of post WWII baby boomers.

I suppose I can can understand why you use this self-serving description. To do otherwise would bring you close to the recognition of the fact that the current Administration is following precisely the wrong course of action in many key areas. I also believe that the public that Fido claims is held in perpetual stupidity and ignorance, is in fact beginning to understand the truth of all this and react accordingly.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 12:08 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Cyclo, you have a remarkable ability to imagine favorable (to your point of view) distortions of the references others make, and then to work yourself up into a twist about it. If you don't think that the difference between Obama's general popularity shortly after the election and the situation today is a "dramatic shift" then I don't know what to make of your perceptions. True, I didn't specify the specific points of comparison, but I think they were obvious in terms of the change to which I referred. To then shift the comparison to changes over the last few months and act indignant about it indicates either an unwillingness to face facts or very shifty debating tactics.

Over the past year, when the HC battle went on, Obama's approval ratings have remained remarkably steady. There has been no precipitous decline. ALL presidents start off with high approval ratings and fall off somewhat, so it's hardly trenchant analysis for you to point out that the same thing has happened to Obama.

Here -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/06/jobapproval-obama_n_726319.html

Obama's approval ratings over the last year have fallen by less than 5% on average. There has been no precipitous decline due to the HC issue, though you and others specifically predicted one.

Quote:
Several months ago you asserted that the passage of the health care act would lead to the development of irresistable public support for President Obama and his Democrat allies. The fact is that hasn't happened, at least so far.

Gosh, you don't think this has anything to do with the fact that the majority of the HC benefits that people will see from the new bill haven't kicked in yet; that it takes a few years for it to get up to speed Amazing that people aren't overjoyed by it yet! Rolling Eyes

My contention has ALWAYS been that the HC bill will lead to long-term support of the Democratic party, and it still is. It is entirely similar to SS or Medicare, both of which were opposed by people like you and both of which are now a staple of American life and politics. Soon universal access to HC will be as well, and you know that as well as I do.

Quote:

You have repeatedly offered the superficial and deceptive description of the recession that beset most of the world's economies as the result of the collapse of the credit default swap market among a few financial companies in this country. That is simply false

It wasn't just among 'a few,' it was the majority of them and certainly ALL the largest ones. Not to mention tons of investment and mutual funds that had no business being involved in such things.

And it isn't false. It is 100% true and accurate. I have done extensive work providing quotes, links and evidence to support this in argumentation here over the last year; you have done nothing at all to support your position. No quotes, no evidence, no links to analysis, no nothing at all other than your relatively uninformed assertions and anti-government Ideology. It is simply not convincing to anyone, the assertions that you have been putting forward.Not

The housing market collapse was going to happen sooner or later. It is part of the natural housing cycle. Nothing new or unexpected about that. However, it was the Credit Default Swap which opened up our investment houses and banks to this danger. It was this which was THE major component of the problem and what lead to the crash in the market. Your assertions otherwise are false and completely without merit or evidence; past housing market collapses have NEVER lead to financial market crashes in this manner.

Quote:

I suppose I can can understand why you use this self-serving description. To do otherwise would bring you close to the recognition of the fact that the current Administration is following precisely the wrong course of action in many key areas.

As I said earlier - what the **** do you know about it? What are your proposed solutions? What data set do you draw your evidence to back up those solutions from?

My guess is that, like most Republicans, you pretend that tax breaks for the rich and lowered regulations for corporations are the key to economic recovery. There is no evidence that this is true, however.

Quote:
I also believe that the public that Fido claims is held in perpetual stupidity and ignorance, is in fact beginning to understand the truth of all this and react accordingly.

What evidence do you base this on? Do you not realize that polling shows that the general public holds the Republican party in contempt, and they poll far lower than the Dems or the Republicans?

I believe you are generalizing your opinions to everyone, much in the same way that Okie does.

Do you at least understand why people aren't overwhelmed when you claim that the Dems would do oh so much better... if they just followed Republican policies? What makes your commentary more credible than the average political commentator who does this on a regular basis?

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 01:57 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
My contention has ALWAYS been that the HC bill will lead to long-term support of the Democratic party, and it still is.

So you stand bythis prediction?

Do you still stand by the prediction you made in my signature line?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 02:00 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
My contention has ALWAYS been that the HC bill will lead to long-term support of the Democratic party, and it still is.

So you stand by this prediction?

Do you still stand by the prediction you made in my signature line?

Yup, I do. Why wouldn't I?

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 02:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Because all the polling data of which you are so fond says you are partly wrong.

Your'e whistling in the dark. That the Democrats will lose control of the House is virtually certain. The Senate could go either way, and Harry Reid may no longer be there. Too early to tell about 2012.
Pemerson

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 06:29 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

You forget that the public is essentially powerless, so they can be kept stupid... If we had true choice instead of the secondary choice of some personality we must trust with too much power, again, out of no choice any of us has made, or been allowed to make, what can we do about it??? The parties have divided their districts to balance equally those for an against one party or another, giving a slight edge to one party, deliberately denying to approximately half the people representation of the party of their choice... This was a party choice, and reason would say that all people should be represented in congress, for and against... If you cut every house district in half there would still be only one representative for every 300K... Since the figure the constitution suggests is no more than one for every 30K which would allow for an almost direct democracy by comparison, how have we allowed the parties to manage our democracy outside of the constitution, making extra constitutional changes that have drastically effected the quality of our government, and our ability to reach out representatives and make them do our bidding??? We had no choice... Even the parties are not provided for in our constitution, but they have bent government everywhere to their wants rather than our needs... Since they have the power and we have none, where is the reason they should educated us, or give us anything good, protect our rights, hear our demands???

You must understand that party animals surviving by slight majorities in deeply divided districts cannot possibly be leaders, but are invariably followers... They must first follow the rich who will give them the money to sway the majority and to maligne the other party's candidate... Then they must follow the will of the most radical extreme of their own party who can replace them in the primaries and divide the whole country into extremes...

Districts should be parted out, representatives should be increased geometrically, and districts should be made smaller... A "leader" could be a leader if he represented 95% of his district, and if he had 95% of his district behind him... Division has been sown to make the people powerless, and it has worked to make representives powerless and fearful of the population...

Parties should be made illegal and must be if we expect to make our form of government actually work for the country. I do not think it is possible, and yet possible of not, it must be done... The parties are an unconstitutional impediment to the will of the people...

Come on Fido, I like and agree with what you say. So, is it possible to make parties illegal? Especially when it has worked to make representatives powerless and fearful of the population. Talk some more on this.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 09:38 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Because all the polling data of which you are so fond says you are partly wrong.

Your'e whistling in the dark. That the Democrats will lose control of the House is virtually certain. The Senate could go either way, and Harry Reid may no longer be there. Too early to tell about 2012.

I don't think that it is yet 'virtually certain' that the Dems will lose the house. I do agree that polling is against my position at this point; but a lot of that has to do with the 'likely voter' screens that have been in play. We'll find out on election day whether or not all those rabid Republicans who swear they are coming out to vote, really will or not; and whether those apathetic Dems really will stay at home.

The chances of the Republicans winning the Senate are minimal; nowhere near 50-50, as you put it.

Because you chose not to respond to the questions I gave you in my last post, I'll repost the best one here:

Quote:
Quote:

I suppose I can can understand why you use this self-serving description. To do otherwise would bring you close to the recognition of the fact that the current Administration is following precisely the wrong course of action in many key areas.

As I said earlier - what the **** do you know about it? What are your proposed solutions? What data set do you draw your evidence to back up those solutions from?

My guess is that, like most Republicans, you pretend that tax breaks for the rich and lowered regulations for corporations are the key to economic recovery. There is no evidence that this is true, however.

You like to talk a big game about how Obama made the wrong choices; but what, pray tell, are the right choices? And please don't feed me the standard Republican line, the evidence-less pap about tax cuts for the wealthy leading to growth.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 12:17 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I generally don't respond to such crude, insolent queries. Moreover, since in framing the question, you have explicitly excluded most of the answer, I don't see much point in making any effort.

By the way, I note that you, in turn, chose to ignore my comments about your own inadequate and unrealistically narrow definition of the cause of what is in fact a nearly world-wide cyclical economic recession, made worse by a collapsing bubble in the housing and property valuations; demographic changes in the western world, particularly Europe; and, associated with them, no longer sustainable government programs for social welfare, again particularly in Europe. This too affects the answer.

You arbitrarily restrict the domain of the question, just as you do with respect to the answer. No surprise that you get to declare victory. However, you won't find real understanding that way.
eoe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 12:38 pm
You guys are a trip!! So many of you represent exactly what's wrong with this country, including the lack of tolerance and respect for anothers' ideas and viewpoints outside of your own. YOU are the very root of every problem this country faces. Shame on you.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 01:40 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I generally don't respond to such crude, insolent queries. Moreover, since in framing the question, you have explicitly excluded most of the answer, I don't see much point in making any effort.

That's a lot of words to say 'I don't have a plan that is superior to the one in place, yet I will continue to argue as if I did.'

Do you not know what the right choices would have been? Can you not simply explain them to us, and how they would have been better? See, the thing is, I don't think you can do so. I don't think you know any better what should have been done, than what WAS done. Why should your criticisms be taken seriously, when this is the case?

Quote:

By the way, I note that you, in turn, chose to ignore my comments about your own inadequate and unrealistically narrow definition of the cause of what is in fact a nearly world-wide cyclical economic recession

I didn't ignore them in the slightest. Indeed, if you go back and re-read my post, you will see that I specifically discussed them, and showed you how you were incorrect. You subsequently ignored my response and are now claiming that I didn't respond.

Let us ask a simple question, George, and see if you can answer it while also maintaining the party line: As there have been MANY boom-bust cycles in housing in the past, what exposed our nations largest banks and financial trading houses to this risk? What financial product lead to the immense investment in Mortgages, an unprecedented investment, that we saw? What was different THIS time from previous times?

I do not believe you will be able to answer this question, without proving both to yourself and to the readers of this thread that there was a definite factor which was responsible for our financial crisis that cannot be explained away by mutterings about the housing market's cyclical nature, or blaming the government. But I'd love to see you have a go at it.

Quote:
You arbitrarily restrict the domain of the question, just as you do with respect to the answer. No surprise that you get to declare victory. However, you won't find real understanding that way.

I didn't declare victory. I am once again asking you to explain yourself and help us understand the obvious contradictions between your opinions and observable reality.

Cycloptichorn
plainoldme

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 06:47 pm
Could it be that the magic Negro business has come back to haunt the President?
eoe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 09:36 pm
@plainoldme,
I was never able to take that theory seriously. It's just too stupid.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 10:07 pm
@eoe,
eoe, Even before I finish reading your post(s), I want to let you know that your thinking on this subject mirrors close to mine. It's easy to criticize - and I've done my share against Obama. The problem left behind by GW Bush was monumental, and trying to work with the GOP congress members went nowhere. The biggest problem with the stim plan was that a good portion of it went to give tax breaks to the middle class, extend unemployment insurance, and give small businesses some tax relief, and not towards our infrastructure that badly needs more government spending. Trying to get the GOP to approve any legislation is a struggle, and conservatives don't want to give Obama any credit for repairing our economy. It seems obvious to me that conservatives are blind to this political gamesmanship.

Obama should get another stim bill passed that will really improve our infrastructure. It's the best opportunity to create jobs, and stimulate growth at a time when interest rates are at its lowest. Why his advisers have not done this is a mystery to me.

Spending $1 now will multiply itself in a domino effect, and pay for itself with increased income for Americans, and increase in taxes for all government levels who are struggling with their budgets. A trillion dollar stim bill will jump start our economy in no time. Businesses are waiting for more signals to show consumers are ready to spend.

Somebody needs to kick Obama in the ass to get his attention.

Fido

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 10:23 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

Fido wrote:

Come on Fido, I like and agree with what you say. So, is it possible to make parties illegal? Especially when it has worked to make representatives powerless and fearful of the population. Talk some more on this.
Napoleon made parties illegal, but having power he wanted no united front against him... Short of a dictator the only hope is revolution... If we could get the house of Reps to allow representation at the rate suggested by the constitution, or even close to it, then the people's house could control the government and president too... I think responsive government would make the government at least, functional, and I think it would be possible with standardization to have state representatives serve also at a national level.. It would be good for them...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 10:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

eoe, Even before I finish reading your post(s), I want to let you know that your thinking on this subject mirrors close to mine. It's easy to criticize - and I've done my share against Obama. The problem left behind by GW Bush was monumental, and trying to work with the GOP congress members went nowhere. The biggest problem with the stim plan was that a good portion of it went to give tax breaks to the middle class, extend unemployment insurance, and give small businesses some tax relief, and not towards our infrastructure that badly needs more government spending. Trying to get the GOP to approve any legislation is a struggle, and conservatives don't want to give Obama any credit for repairing our economy. It seems obvious to me that conservatives are blind to this political gamesmanship.

Obama should get another stim bill passed that will really improve our infrastructure. It's the best opportunity to create jobs, and stimulate growth at a time when interest rates are at its lowest. Why his advisers have not done this is a mystery to me.

Spending $1 now will multiply itself in a domino effect, and pay for itself with increased income for Americans, and increase in taxes for all government levels who are struggling with their budgets. A trillion dollar stim bill will jump start our economy in no time. Businesses are waiting for more signals to show consumers are ready to spend.

"Rail Service Expansion Imperiled at State Level
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/us/05rail.html?_r=1&th&emc=th

Where have you been c.i.? The party of NO has been busy shooting down the concept of creating jobs as well. They don't want the economy to improve. They don't want the country to move out of this quagmire under Obama and they're doing everything they can to prevent it. It's so obvious, anyone who doesn't see through their bullshit by now has simply elected not to.

It astounding to me how people seem to think that Mr. Obama doesn't get it, or he needs a kick in the ass to get his attention. Do you really think he's stupid? Out of touch? Do you honestly think that this brilliant man, who cut his teeth on the political streets of Chicago, doesn't have a clue what's going on? Get real. That's just more media-driven hoo-hah, created on a slow news day.
Fido

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 07:16 am
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

"Rail Service Expansion Imperiled at State Level
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/us/05rail.html?_r=1&th&emc=th

Where have you been c.i.? The party of NO has been busy shooting down the concept of creating jobs as well. They don't want the economy to improve. They don't want the country to move out of this quagmire under Obama and they're doing everything they can to prevent it. It's so obvious, anyone who doesn't see through their bullshit by now has simply elected not to.

It astounding to me how people seem to think that Mr. Obama doesn't get it, or he needs a kick in the ass to get his attention. Do you really think he's stupid? Out of touch? Do you honestly think that this brilliant man, who cut his teeth on the political streets of Chicago, doesn't have a clue what's going on? Get real. That's just more media-driven hoo-hah, created on a slow news day.

Behind the party of NO is a great number of people who see that their small accumulation of capital is endangered by government forever trying to support the poor, and fix the economy.... Sure, they are dumm as fence posts because in protecting themselves they also protect the rich who sit on billions and the country and our resources and are the true danger to their small holdings... It is possible for them to be both right and wrong in their resistence to reality... The country is a commonwealth, and whether is private hands or public it has to support the whole population...Wouldn't we all like to be super rich and deny to government the power to tax us, and rather use taxes to further empoverish the poor and polarize society between haves and have nots...

Most people in government in the party of NO agree that if capitalism does not create wealthy and wealth in extreme that it is not working as designed... In fact, our government says something about the protection of property, but was built on the taxation of property to defend those rights in property... Other than that; there is nothing in the preamble about a defense of capitalism as the purpose of government...If capitalism does not make the society richer, but only make a handful of rich super rich, then it is a failure, and alternatives should be tried; but first tax the rich who led us here to this point of desparation...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:24 am
@eoe,
I think that theory was just something to say on a slow news day! Wink
0 Replies